Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default 1/27 scale 2D cars for a father son project?

I got bored oneday...

A few years ago I measured up my Nissan 280 ZX and made a model.
    I used pine from an transport crate (4"*3") to route out a 3 scale toy cars with a plunge router, its a subtractive process. The idear is its not perfect to inspire young minds. There is a poor quality video [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqlIW5UIF6g"]here[/ame] of the models.
    The scale was about 1/17 such that 3 copper tubes 6.5mm could be used for the intake to the engine blower/supercarger and a galvinised nail with 'o'ring loop for drive input componets, cork for a number plate also roof trim and used car A/C copper pipe with elbow for exhaust pipes. I think the 1st batch look better but they are more dangerous to do eg holding a plunge router with 2 hands and start carving the sides and ends with a 12mm bit spinning at 13000 rpm.

Just recently I decided to make another two.
    The problem now is raw materials, cause I dont have much money to spare.
    I managed to find some pine but its smaller, its used to guide the packing straps on flat 6*4 paletes at a cost of $3.00 each size 1200mm *65 mm * 47mm, easy just scale the model down in a spread sheet. See Att Wagon 1.xls and 2 Sedan Pintara 1900.xls for the measument/scale adjuster in B6. note the wagon ended up being a sedan because it did not look ok. Another problem is the number of cuts on the windscreen slope it look better with bigger cuts and is easier to do. Pic here

As a father son project to finsh off and bage, shape and paint to do whatever mods they like , What do you think?

Should I try and carve the 3th demention for the door, or is that defeating the purpose?

Should I just paint them and give them away instead of surfing the net all day?

Should I increase acuracy eg bonnet slope by making jigs etc?

Each one is an individual because there are no jigs or guides just a nasty machine waiting for your mistake...........

more pics
    Wagon 1 Wagon 2 Wagon 3 Wagon 4
    pintara 1 pintara 2 pintara 3 pintara 4 pintara 5 pintara 6
    Last edited by Smokingwheels; 26th November 2011 at 12:03 PM. Reason: subscription

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

G'Day & Welcome to the toymaking side of a great woodwork forum "smokingwheels",
    What a top project for father & son to do together.
    Looking forward to the WIP photos.
    Cheers, crowie

Well you have certainly done something that I wouldn't know where to begin. its a pity the quality of the vid is not a bit clearer but I have no room to talk there. My picture and movie making skills are pretty poor. How should you finish it? well whatever makes you happy in yourself, that is the beauty of making something yourself.you can go as far as you want. If you feel happy with what you have achieved then you have succeeded so no need to do anything else to it if you don't want to.
    Sitting on the internet all day sifting through pages of information can be frustrating but something we all do in an endevour to improve our bit.
    Personally I would try to shape the doors and body and see how it turns out, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    Good luck with your project.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    G'Day & Welcome to the toymaking side of a great woodwork forum "smokingwheels",
    What a top project for father & son to do together.
    Looking forward to the WIP photos.
    Cheers, crowie
    Thanks for the kind words Crowie.
    I have the models up for sale for $40.00 ono at the moment but may reduce to price soon for xmas.
    I have also had a thought to sell on Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by munruben View Post
    Well you have certainly done something that I wouldn't know where to begin. its a pity the quality of the vid is not a bit clearer but I have no room to talk there. My picture and movie making skills are pretty poor. How should you finish it? well whatever makes you happy in yourself, that is the beauty of making something yourself.you can go as far as you want. If you feel happy with what you have achieved then you have succeeded so no need to do anything else to it if you don't want to.
    Sitting on the internet all day sifting through pages of information can be frustrating but something we all do in an endevour to improve our bit.
    Personally I would try to shape the doors and body and see how it turns out, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    Good luck with your project.
    Thanks for the comments Munruben.
    The video was a TV to Web Cam job it only runs at about 2 frames a second..thats the best I could do back in 2006. It shows the larger models that I made back in 2006.

I may try shape the door when I can afford a file or rasp.