Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default started my type 35 bugatti

Finally chose a style of car to make, and it's the Type 35 Bugatti racer.
    Had trouble finding dimensions so I worked it out off a photo, this model will be roughly (very roughly) 1/8th in scale.
    Started with a block of oregon and sized it to 520 long, 60 high and 125 wide. Then I used a 1" forstner bit to cut out the cockpit, and sanded that with a bobbin sander at the mens shed. The sanding of the body shape is done on a linisher (mens shed)after being cut as close as possible with a bandsaw (mens shed).I love those machines at the mens shed. Now its just more sanding to get the roll of the curve from the top edges down to the sides. Next is to laminate a hardwood "chassis" piece under the oregon that the axle holes will be drilled through and shape that to match the body, leaving a square section at the front proud of the body for the front axle. I think the trickiest part of this will be the wheels, they are an eight spoke, convex shape, two pieces coming together loke a clam shell, that is convex on the outside and concave on the inside. Looking forward to that.
    Heres some wip pics.Rate of work will depend on how often I can get to the mens shed I spose.
    cheers, billy

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

crowie is online now Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

G'Day Billy,
    Love the grain in the old oregon timber plank.
    Are you using plans or is the design out of your head;
    either way it's looking good for the start.
    Thanks for the WIP photos.
    Cheers, Crowie

Yey
    Billy is back.
    Should be a good one.I like that shape
    Back To Car Building & All The Sawdust.

This is going to be great.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Thanks guys,
    yeah the oregon grain is one of my favourites. I have some measurements and photos to work to but I'm really just going by what looks pleasing to the eye as I go.
    Aussie its good to hear from you too.
    I almost went for a boat-tailed speedster design. I have a photo of one ,a Cord I think, that has a maple body, held together with thousands of copper rivets,from the '30's.
    Hopefully get more done Monday, putting the sanding time in is tedious but the finished product will be oiled or something so the surface needs to be really smooth to make sure there aren't any flaws. I'm thinking maybe organ oil or even a wax that can be burnished for a really nice satin glow.
    back to the sawdust factory.
    cheers
    billy

Thumbs up

Beaut to see Billy from Bateau Bay back!!

Love the grain - nice and fine, Also love the Type 35!!

Saw one about 4o years ago in the middle of the Hay Plain! Fellow was off to a rally in Mildura.

thanks artme,
    they are a special looking car aren't they.
    A friend dropped off some blackbutt flooring offcuts yesterday so I took some down to the mens shed and cut out some 90mm discs on the bandsaw. I think the boards are 19mm thick, and started turning a piece to see if its suitable for wheels. So far so good,turns nicely. Will do a bit more to get a convex shape to the outside of the wheel that will be drilled out and filed to the shape of the spokes,which actually stick out further than than the rin edge then get a pic and put it up here.
    cheers, billy

Ok, just nipped out to the workshop to take a couple of pics. First is the body,did some more shaping on the cockpit and started to put more of a roll on the edges, next is the blackbutt on the lathe,not the clearest pic but you get theidea and last is some of the photos Im working off.

Yonnee is offline Trailer Bloke & Mild Mannered Moderator

Niiice. Love your work!!
    Too many projects, so little time, even less money!
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds! Doing work around the home? Wander over to our sister site, Renovate Forum, for all your renovation queries.

Default more wip pics

Hiya,
    I got two pieces of blackbutt flooring ,took the tongue and grooves off with the table saw and ran them through the thicknesser to remove the grooves on the undersides and glued and screwed them together, then I cut out the shape on the bandsaw and glued and screwed it to the bottom of the body.
    Before doing that I cut a piece off the nose with the drop saw to make the radiator block. By doing that the radiator piece sits on the front with about a 1mm reduction in size to the nose but continues the grain pattern.
    I then ran a Forstner bit, about 2" in diameter into a block of oregon and cut out a hole about 2 1/2" deep, and cut around it on the bandsaw,basically making a cylinder with walls about 1/4" thick, then cut that into two pieces, Im now shaping them to be the backs of the seats.
    Next is shaping the front of the chassis to make it look like leaf springs and sanding the chassis/body to get all the same shape.
    cheers
    billy

Didnt get anything done today. Spent three hours boiling old cow bones, dried them out, raced down to the mens shed just before it closed to cut the bones in half on the bandsaw then brought them home and boiled for another hour (on the bbq in a big pot) before drying and cooling again, then started to clean them up with a rough grit sanding drum on my ozito thing thats like a dremel (having a senior moment, cant remember what its called) prior to sanding smooth and carving them.
    Down to the shed tomorrow to finish seat backs, shape front chassis and see if I can find some veneer offcut to use for the dash, I'll be using the ivory off some piano keys I took off a derelict "88" that was about a century old, to insert as the dials and gauges on the dash. And more sanding on the body.Then moooooore sanding. Maybe finish turning the first wheel.
    cheers
    billy

What's happening with the model Billy, Production held up?? Looking forward to seeing some more of the WIP:
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

How'd I miss this one

Billy table top looks brilliant.

Car coming along well

Bone stinks to high heaven but worth it.

I did a part restore on one of these many moons ago full scale of course fellow had wanted to do a copy of it which was going to have a VW motor and chassis base never got there.

Guys thought I had posted this site before almost any drawing of a vehicle you might want I have registered some time ago One day I might build something till then I'll gladly watch your builds.

The-Blueprints.com - Blueprints > Cars > Bugatti > Bugatti Type 35C (1929)

Ray

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast