Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Cutter sharpening service

I have a number of slab mills I'd like sharpened and before getting too carried away trying to do them myself thought I'd find out how much it would cost to have them professionally sharpened. I'm in Hornsby, Sydney, and would prefer somebody close by if possible. However if anyone has had slab mills sharpened, if they could let me know the cost for the sizes they've had done at least I'd know where I stand.

Pete

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Pete. When I read the thread title I was just about to race up to the shed to load up a box of blunt cutters. I thought you were offering your services.

You may have to wait for the arrival of my T&C grinder for that Bob. I wouldn't advise holding your breath while waiting

Well Pete, I thought it was unfair enough that you picked up the No. 3 surface grinder. Don't rub salt into the wound by telling me you've eyeballed a T and C grinder as well!
    I think what pisses me off most about your mill and grinder is that you don't even have to paint the bastards. I could deal with it all if they both had some nasty piebald paint job!

Ergh, I wouldn't get too excited about the paint job on my mill if I were you. The photo of the switch panel I sent is the best part. The grinder however, yes that's in good condition ... under the shade of baby-poo coloured muck somebody covered it with. Not sure WHAT that is, and likely don't want to know, however it does seem to come off with some T-cut and elbow grease so should be able to get a reasonable result from doing that. I was going to begin stripping it today, but am busy installing my weather station I nagged my wife to buy me for a present for years ... so I can whinge about the weather with authority.

Yes I've been looking at T&C grinders for some time now. I'd feel like a bit of a nerd buying another Hercus (that making 4 machines of theirs I'd own), but hey when you're on a roll

In the meanwhile I'd like to see about getting the slab mills sharpened. They do a great job, and it's stupid to have the facilities of a horizontal mill there, yet struggle with a vertical attachment simply because I don't have any really sharp horizontal cutters. One I think is beyond saving, though if I could sharpen it myself I would. I have no idea what they'd cost, but I'm quite sure I don't want to price any new

Pete

Hi Pete,
    Just curious about what sort of weather station you have.
    Regards, Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkera View Post
    Hi Pete,
    Just curious about what sort of weather station you have.
    Regards, Ian.
    Ha ha, now there's a question I wasn't expecting! It's an Oregon Scientific. As a professional "weather whinger" I wanted to whinge with a little more authority when at home, so have been nagging my wife for years to buy me one for a Birthday/Christmas. It became a bit of a joke, but this year she bought me this Buy Oregon Scientific Advanced Weather Station | WMR100N | Buy Weather Instruments Online - oo.com.au
    It seems to have mixed reviews but working just fine for me. I was impressed with the range of the sensors, which seem to be up to the claimed range just fine. The fittings and fasteners were all good quality stainless steel, etc etc. Certainly can't complain. It's not a professional unit by any stretch of the imagination, but seems to be relatively accurate when comparing to the nearest BOM station.

At the end of the day it's just a bit of fun. To be even semi-serious I'd have to have the wind vane well above the roof line, as it is it sits about 2 m above a veranda roof. Even if I did put it up on the TV antenna mast or similar, where we're located means the winds are nothing like the prevailing winds so there's really no point in getting anal about it. I just like the fact that I can compare inside/outside temp/humidity and know when it's best to have the house open or lock it down for an AC-fest. However I can already see the value of the rain gauge, since I don't empty my traditional rain gauge every day. I don't use the data-logging function of it.

It looks like this model is now superseded. The menu on the screen is a bit of a joke and poorly thought out, if it was thought at all, so hopefully they fixed that in the new version. It certainly works but is clumsy. From the little I've used it so far I would say I could recommend it for a basic "accurate enough" weather station. From what I (and my wife) saw, the jump from here is quite large and I think getting to the area where one would need to be justifying it on a professional basis, or have a strong interest in the area, and you'd be giving very serious thought about precisely where you were installing the sensors etc.

Hope that helps.

Pete

That looks like too much work Pete...I just watch channel 7 news...works for me

is that also a able to download the data to the computer for logging?...might get one if it does

Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    That looks like too much work Pete...I just watch channel 7 news...works for me

is that also a able to download the data to the computer for logging?...might get one if it does
    As mentioned, I use this and my old one more for "micro-management" of the house temperature than any grand predictions for the future. I just keep an eye on the temperature and humidity and then decide whether to have the house open or not. Whether I could honestly say it pays for itself I don't know, but it definitely helps to keep the home a lot more comfortable. If moving inside and outside often I'd of course notice, but if stuck inside working it's easy to lose track of what it's doing in the real world

Yes this model allows data logging. It has a USB interface, I haven't used it myself, but I believe one of the screen shots from the link I provided is from the software and it looks very slick. Setting the station up isn't complicated at all, it even comes complete with batteries! It's a simple case of physically mounting the units and pushing the search button on the base station. It's just that I decided I wanted to mount the mast in a particular way that wasn't allowed for in the hardware provided. THEN I decided I didn't like it where it was so shifted it anyway The range of the sensors is supposed to be 100m, again not sure if that's accurate, but definitely much better than I was expecting and I had the base station on the opposite side of the house to the sensors and it was rock solid.

It's not for everyone, but to each their own and I guess I've always liked to keep one eye on the barometer ever since a kid ... others have a more fun-filled childhood

Pete

You can sharpen them on a surface grinder with a bit of tooling.... Acouple of centres, and arbor and a tooth rest..

Use a cup wheel...

Yeah I've been trying to find out more specifics about doing this, but haven't actually found anything. That would be the ideal, but need to find out more.

Pete

Thanks Pete, yours is much more upmarket than the El Cheapo that I have, so I won't bore you with the problems I had (some of them self made). good luck with yours.
    Ian.