Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rusel View Post
    My only problem is it already near full....must mean I need to make something out of it not acquire more ..... but what is the question???
    That's always a problem for woodies. The end of my drive way is covered in small logs from decades of biannual kerbside rubbish collection, the remnants of two wood turners collections and other bits and pieces. SWMBO is being very patient. I really need to mill them up and get them properly stored. Roll on retirement!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default The ceiling now is under way.

Finally bite the bullet and started on the ceiling.
    What i am using is under floor insulation 60mm polystyrene foam. This is made with compression cuts in both side allowing the foam to be compress between the rafters. The spring of the foam helps to hold it in place till i squirt some glue up between the foam and rafters. These piece of foam are 1200 x 590 very easy to handle on top of the ladder. I cut the top row where there meet the ridge board at a angle for a better seal.

At the end of my shed I have two small rooms that came with the shed when we move in and on top of these I have got some cover sheets from a cabinet mate and put up some flooring on top. Best of all it came cut to size and delivered. It cost him to throw them out, this is cheaper a WIN WIN . So some long storage room up here.

I will have to make some ridge ventilation to let the hot air out from behind the foam. The foam sits about 30 mm off the bottom side of the roof battens and this will let the hot air rise to the ridge. Letting this hot air out greatly increase the R value of the insulation.

More pic when finished.... That a interesting question ....When is a shed finished?????

Russell
    Attached Images Attached Images
    vapourforge.com

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

That looking great Russell, top job....
    You got the board from the mate you introduced me to earlier in the year?
    Keep up the good work.
    Cheers, crowie

It does look much better.

I have bee pushing ahead with the insulation, the easy 80% is up Still have to do the last bit where the roof meets the wall. there is lots of fiddly bits here, ceiling joist, rafters, power cables and so on,

Been moving forward with my ridge vents, could not find any that would fit. So had a look around at what I had on hand and come up with this design.Made from PVC pipe.

vent redor.jpg

The sun and the black pipe will assist in the chimney affect and the vortex as the wind blows past the pipe end should suck the hot air above the insulation out plus there will be 4 of them.
    The upright black pipe is 90mm that goes in to a 100mm (blue) elbow for clearance as it rotates with the wind. The rocket ship is a idea I am toying with for a vane. Might make the other ones something different say a speed boat, car and train. Think is to make them out of aluminum sheet and polish them. Well why not

Made a mould up for the flashing/mounting flange. Had to measure the roof and match the size and angle as well as the roll top. Here is the mould with the upright in place.

mould and tubes setup.jpg

And layed up with fiberglass, I will cut these to size and paint,

layed up.jpg

I have to now cut the bearing mounts and fixtures out and assemble them. Then it up on to the roof and cut some 90mm holes through it

Russell
    vapourforge.com

Ok the holes have been cut and the four vents are in place. The images below show how it was done. There all swing around one after the other like dances in the breeze, Interesting to watch.

I used some blanket insulation on the gable ends. Use the left over ply from my clock making as pads to nail up the insulation... waste not ..... Just the bottom edges of the foam to go.

Russell
    Attached Images Attached Images
    vapourforge.com

Well done Russell.....It'll get a work out over the next few days of hot, hot weather...

Well yesterday is was 38c here,
    At the work bench it was 27c and above the insulation and under the roof was 60c, That's what used to radiate down into the shed before.
    From the vents you can see a plume of heat rolling out of each of them when there is no wind to suck it out. Very pleased

Russell
    vapourforge.com

Ingenious.
    Scally

Just a update on my shed.
    The latest upgrade to the shed is a Bandsaw and a dust extractor which has now made me have to upgrade the power supply which has now meant that the supply to the house had to be upgrade to 3 phase. So I am having the 3 phase run all the way to the shed. It was not much dearer.
    The reason for the dust extractor was I was make a run of thing and must have suck in a lung full of dust and made me sick for about 3 weeks.
    SWMBO just said no shed till the dust is fixed and said she would pay for it because she know how much it mean to me. You have got to love her for that, but she still think she is way out in front on the deal.

The bandsaw come from looking at a dust extractor and ended up buying a bandsaw...At the time it it made good sense to me............. still does after using it

Will start a new thread in the dust thread about the installation of extractor

Russell
    vapourforge.com

Well done on the bandsaw they do come in very handy.

Just a update on my shed.
    The latest upgrade to the shed is a Bandsaw and a dust extractor which has now made me have to upgrade the power supply which has now meant that the supply to the house had to be upgrade to 3 phase. So I am having the 3 phase run all the way to the shed. It was not much dearer.
    The reason for the dust extractor was I was make a run of thing and must have suck in a lung full of dust and made me sick for about 3 weeks.
    SWMBO just said no shed till the dust is fixed and said she would pay for it because she know how much it mean to me. You have got to love her for that, but she still think she is way out in front on the deal.

The bandsaw come from looking at a dust extractor and ended up buying a bandsaw...At the time it it made good sense to me............. still does after using it

Will start a new thread in the dust thread about the installation of extractor

Russell
    Come on Russell, Were are the photos, please....... Show off the new toys.
    Also please could you add a link to the new thread on the installation of the dust extractor, thank you.
    Cheers, crowie

Yep the bandsaw is a big asset but it will be good when I turn it on all the light stop going dim,,,,,,,,
    crowie keep your socks on...Stephen tell me the DE will clear customs this week so I will get it next week.
    In the mean time the electrician have run the cable to the shed by the above ground route (did not feel up to digging the trench) It worked out cheaper to use the same wire that comes from the hookup point (where street wire attach to the house) to the switch board and run these down to the shed. As there manufacture more of this size and there for it is cheaper. I now have a 40mm conduit flying the 6mt from house to shed
    So now I will have 180 amp available in the shed.
    All the rewiring should be finished today.

Link for bandsaw
    HAMMER woodworking machines Panel Saws Spindle Moulders Planers Clean-Air Dust Extractors

Russell
    vapourforge.com

Default Electrics with a bang

Well the wiring all done.....but not as smooth as the electrician had hoped...The young bloke who wired the shed to the main board got it wrong and when he turned the power on in the the shed there was a big bang and a smell of the magic smoke that makes electrics work was in the air.
    Well after much looking and checking we found the course was he had the neutral connected to one of the phases, so putting 415v across the 240v lines in the shed.
    The result was 15 amp fuse was melted, my battery charger for my drill fried along with the my stereo, power supply for the computer router, the gate opener and the door bell ringer in the shed.
    He is now off finding replacements this is not going to be easy.
    The stereo is 30 year old and has a aux input the most new one do not have.
    The gate opener in not made now.
    The door bell $30 from bunnings
    Router I had a spare power supply.
    The 15 amp fuse he had a spare.
    The battery charger can be got off ebay

Her got off lightly as I had unplug the cnc computer and a few other thing in the house when the power was to be turned off.

Now the dust extractor should be here early next week then the fun begins.
    In the mean time I have been rearranging the shed lay out, move the lathe, the welding stuff, drop saw, some old shelving, made some wheels for the bandsaw, all this I hope will make the new layout much better to work in.

Russell
    vapourforge.com

Well the wiring all done.....but not as smooth as the electrician had hoped...The young bloke who wired the shed to the main board got it wrong and when he turned the power on in the the shed there was a big bang and a smell of the magic smoke that makes electrics work was in the air.
    l
    Blimey, that's not bad luck but sheer incompetence. Surely he should have tested things out with a meter BEFORE he switched it on?
    Hope you get everything back working OK.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast