Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thanks, I got a reply from them and the VAT will be deducted and a rebate for any excess shipping costs. I'll keep watching the Aus $ climb back up a bit more and make the purchase soon I hope.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Ok time for an update. So I was watching the Aus $ rise up, then the Euro zone crisis hit and now it's heading down the slope in the currency roller coaster. I knew I should have bit the bullet earlier and ordered them when the dollar was still good . Anyway I've been keeping an eye on the Workshop Heaven site and they've finally gone on sale . So now I'm waiting for a full set of the cabinet makers chisels and a set of mortice chisels to be shipped .

Quote Originally Posted by T.C View Post
    Ok time for an update. So I was watching the Aus $ rise up, then the Euro zone crisis hit and now it's heading down the slope in the currency roller coaster. I knew I should have bit the bullet earlier and ordered them when the dollar was still good . Anyway I've been keeping an eye on the Workshop Heaven site and they've finally gone on sale . So now I'm waiting for a full set of the cabinet makers chisels and a set of mortice chisels to be shipped .
    They are a pretty good chisel imho... How much will you be paying all up including postage?

Looks like they have changed their handles on all chisels as well...

Re change of handle
    It looks like they have two different sets with different handles, the 8882 and the 8112
    I think the 8112 is the set that Tony bought
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust Maker View Post
    Re change of handle
    It looks like they have two different sets with different handles, the 8882 and the 8112
    I think the 8112 is the set that Tony bought
    8112 for the mortise chisels and 8105 for the bevel edged. There wasn't a choice when I bought them.
    The larger handles do suit my biggish mits pretty well.
    Still happy with these chisels and won't be 'upgrading' any time soon.
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    https://autoblastgates.com.au

About a month and a half ago i contacted Narex Bystrice and ordered direct from them via an email.

Thanks to Filip from Narex I received a well packaged box of chisels within 8 days of placing the order. (Thanks to Brunswick who let me know that postage from Czech republic would be aok)
    I ordered the larger horn beam handles which feel good in my hand. The chisels are finished ground and not polished. The small chisel was not yet available in the larger handle.

I found the chisles to be well finished. Some of the handels however look a bit thirsty and require a bit of finish.

I need to give them a polish and will let you know how they go.

Quote Originally Posted by NCArcher View Post
    Still happy with these chisels and won't be 'upgrading' any time soon.

I'm pleased you're still happy with them

On the basis of your report a set ended up in my shed, not exactly sure how
    I'm happy with them but yet to misuse them with real intent, but I did chisel out a mortise with them when they arrived - first time I'd ever done that without drilling etc - twas fun

got the corner chisel as well, haven't used it yet and am a little concerned with its looks, seems to have been nickel plated after shaping, grinding and sharpening. Anyway we'll see.
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi

Quote Originally Posted by brunswick1075 View Post
    They are a pretty good chisel imho... How much will you be paying all up including postage?

Looks like they have changed their handles on all chisels as well...
    Around $400 for 14 No. 8116 cabinet makers, 8 No. 8882 mortice chisels and shipping.

I've had a look at other stores as well and it appears they supply a range of handles so different places would probably order whatever combination they like.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust Maker View Post
    ..but I did chisel out a mortise with them when they arrived - first time I'd ever done that without drilling etc - twas fun

got the corner chisel as well, haven't used it yet and am a little concerned with its looks, seems to have been nickel plated after shaping, grinding and sharpening. Anyway we'll see.
    Chopping a mortise out by hand is fun...the first time. I drill them all out now.
    I'm not that impressed with the corner chisel. It's a bit fragile. Probably ok for softer woods (haven't used any of those for a while) but it struggles in our hardwoods. Needed lots of resharpening so I just use the other chisels to clean up the corners.
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    https://autoblastgates.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by T.C View Post
    Anyway I've been keeping an eye on the Workshop Heaven site and they've finally gone on sale . So now I'm waiting for a full set of the cabinet makers chisels and a set of mortice chisels to be shipped .

TC - when I saw this update, I checked the workshop heaven page. I too had been waiting for a sale, but had managed to miss it until I saw your message.

I too will soon be the proud owner of the cabinet markers and mortice chisels.

Thanks again

Trav
    Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen

I bought a set of Stanley Bevel Edged Chisels about 12 years ago. I do not remember what they cost then but it was not much. They range in size from 1/4" to 1 1/4".

They do what chisels are suppose to do. That is to say , they chisel. They hold a razor sharp edge and I suppose that if I am still alive in another 30 or 40 years I will still be using them.
    My age is still less than my number of posts

Mine have arrived. Not very sharp (maybe I have tough arm hair!) and they are bigger than I expected. The mortice chisels in particular are quite large. Finish is quite good. Still some grinding marks on the side of the blades. I bought some scrapers too (not Narex) and the whole package came in quite a big box. Packaging was OK, not great. 1 chisel has no edge guard, and most of the guards are not specifically sized for the chisel (2-3 sizes fits all).

Haven't used them in anger yet, but they look like they will stand up to a good fumpin, which is what they were intended to do.

Trav
    Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen

I've got all mine also. A bit of mistake with the packing of the first delivery (the mortice chisels were missing), but an email and a week later and they arrived. I'll have to agree the mortice chisels do seem quite large, but these are my first set. Now to find some time to sharpen them up and a project that needs their use.

I found that in Austrailia that Bahco chisels seem to be the best on the market but to be honest I would still prefer to buy the original marples from the UK they have the red and yellow handle they roughly cost about $80 plus P&P

Lightbulb Narex Mortising chisel - video

Found this video on the Narex mortising chisels

here

enjoy
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast