Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

My wife is from the Czech Republic and has gone there for 10 weeks holidays with my daughter to see her family and friends.

Ive asked her father who is a luthier there to check out some prices for me so she can bring them back with her. Be interesting to see if he can get them cheaper than i what i can get them in the states online...

I post what prices i can get them for 'locally'

Regards
    Craig

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Be interested to find out , thanks Craig.
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    https://autoblastgates.com.au

Narex Bevel-Edge Chisels - Lee Valley Tools

are these the same chisels ? If so lee valley seems a bit cheaper. They have the mortising ones aswell..
    I'm just a startled bunny in the headlights of life. L.J. Young.
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.
    Wait! No one told you your government was a sitcom?

Yeah same chisels. LV didn't have them when i was looking to buy. The different retailers seem to have different packages too. I got a boxed set of 6 rather than LV's set of 8 but a bit cheaper than LV's set. Be interesting to see if Craig can get them any cheaper from the manufacturer. Still good value where ever you buy them.
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    https://autoblastgates.com.au

My wife doesnt get back for another 8 weeks, but ive been on their website and its looking very, very good indeed

They have 17 sizes(3mm-50mm) in the bevel edge range and i can get the lot for $A124.33, which works out to be a staggering $7.31 a chisel

I can also get all 8 sizes(4mm-16mm)of the mortise chisels for $86.88.

$210.00 for 25 chisels is a pretty good price... Im also getting a scratch awl($3), a wooden mallet($6), an 8mm concave carving chisel for $14 and a carbon steel cabinet scraper for 70c!

There planes look like reasonable quality, but they only have 2 sizes. None that i want.

Cant go wrong for around $250.00 in my opinion

Pics will follow delivery, although the wife is already complaining about the extra 3kg's of tools she has to bring home

Works out that their factory is only 25km from where my wife is from too, so next time im over there ill take a visit...

Maybe we could organise a group buy ? I'm not sure what I'd do with 17 chisels but a set of every other one from 3 mm up would be nice. That 8530 set for example....

Narex - Bystøice_02 - 8530
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by damian View Post
    Maybe we could organise a group buy ? I'm not sure what I'd do with 17 chisels but a set of every other one from 3 mm up would be nice. That 8530 set for example....

Narex - Bystøice_02 - 8530
    A group buy would have to be organised by me next time im over there, which will be just over a year from now.

Hell will freeze over before i convince the wife to throw her clothes out and fill up her suitcase with 30kg of chisels and the like

It is amazing value though imo

I'm not too certain that "economical" translates as "good" tools.

I bought the pair of economical skew chisels from LV who have kindly offered to replace them, admitting that they do not examine every tool that comes into the warehouse. Not about to do so after all the time invested in grinding the pitting out of the edges.
    Mind you, the steel seems to be quite good to hold an edge (Brazil-made).

Quote Originally Posted by brunswick1075 View Post
    A group buy would have to be organised by me next time im over there, which will be just over a year from now.
    Is there no retailer over there who would ship an order ? I don't think we would want to put you personally to that trouble...

The other possibility is LV might do a group discount for a larger order ?

Hell will freeze over before i convince the wife to throw her clothes out and fill up her suitcase with 30kg of chisels and the like
    Ha! The phone would melt!

Well, the wife got back on Thursday night and arrived with 6.5kg worth of chisels for yours truly

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Everything in the picture worked out to be A$272.00 after conversion which isnt to bad imo. The only chisel im missing is the 22mm bevel edge which they didnt have in stock on the day my wife went there...

It was actually A$217.00 my wife has informed me. 3,900 Kc when i thought it was 4,900 Kc

I bought the set of 4 from highland tools. I assume they are the "old" pattern but they are cheaper than lee valley on both the item and shipping.

I see you now have a lifetime complete set of chisels If only you could buy a brazilian number of handplanes of that quality for that sort of money.

Quote Originally Posted by damian View Post
    I bought the set of 4 from highland tools. I assume they are the "old" pattern but they are cheaper than lee valley on both the item and shipping.

I see you now have a lifetime complete set of chisels If only you could buy a brazilian number of handplanes of that quality for that sort of money.
    They do make planes, but they only had 1 on view on their website. It would be interesting to see if they had different sized planes at their factory...

Im very happy with the price and quality of the Narex chisels. I have a few hours ahead of me sharpening and flattening though!

Quote Originally Posted by orraloon View Post
    I got mine from Woodwork Heaven in the UK.
    John, did you get yours through their eBay listing or their website. I was looking at getting a set of the cabinet and mortice chisels but haven't got a reply yet from a couple of emails I've sent them. So I'm wondering what the shipping costs would be like and if the VAT does apply. Regards, T.C

TC,
    Yes it was the ebay listing. I dont recall the exact price or postage now but it was reasonable. UK postage is a bit less than from the US.
    Regards
    John

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast