Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

View Poll Results: HOW SHOULD THE INTERNATIONAL FREIGHT BE APPORTIONED?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • BY WEIGHT OF ORDERS

26 47.27%
  • BY VALUE OF ORDERS

29 52.73%
Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
    FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

One of our group emailed me with the very valid point that the address markers on the Google Map shouldn't actually show exactly where we live. I have now updated the map and moved all the markers a few streets away. About half way through the exercise it stopped showing the actual map, so I was a bit like Daffy Duck "I'm flyin' blind". If your marker needs to be moved a bit further away then you may be able to do it yourself (I don't need to know), or send me a PM or email.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi FF,

OK. Either I have missed something or I am not too bright, (probably the later), but,... what is this about address markers. Can't find anything about Google Maps.

Can you point me in the right direction toward the address markers and or post?

Cheers
    Pops (whom has had a few glasses of vino on a Sunday night)

G'day Pops, washamatta? It was in an email that I sent to you3-4 weeks ago. There was a link to click.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY

Hi FF,

Thanks for that, missed the link. Perhaps another bottle of red last night and I would have got there.

Cheers
    Pops

UPDATE:
    Spoke to Juergen last night. Late last week I sent him details of how I want the orders distributed to the various airports. This of course makes the freight quote significantly more complex to quote on, as their will be 9x packages of different weights going to 4x Airports.

I will call again on Thursday/Friday to see where the quote is up to and whether or not there are shortages. Mind you, by the time this bloody freight quote is sorted out, he'll probably have made any stock required.

One member was looking for a very long bit, and it just so happened that Juergen had something suitable left over from a special run, and it had an MT2 shank. Mind you, even though the bit was 50% long than the stock item, it was around 400% of the price. On the other hand though, if it saves a great deal of time, and makes life significantly easier then it's money well spent. Pays to ask eh?
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY

UDATE:
    Just received an email from Juergen re stock count. He'll give it to me asap, he thinks Friday at the latest. Apparently Germany has more public holidays than Hitler had bunkers, and he (Juergen that is) complains that all his workers will be back tomorrow (Thursday). He does like a Hitler joke, so I sent him a picture of moi at a fancy dress party I went to a couple of years ago. The theme was "Politically Incorrect". Should I post it here? I've only been to two fd parties, and it was too hard to go past it the second time. In fact, I resigned from work at Toyota shortly after the first one, and on the last day at the last hour I disappeared into the the loo and came back out as AH. Threw my boss right off guard, that did. I asked him "Was ist los mit dir, du scheußlich Sack Scheiße" and he said "errr, I dunno, I've never given a farewell speech to a Nazi before!"
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY

Should I post it here?

Quote Originally Posted by FenceFurniture View Post
    One member was looking for a very long bit, and it just so happened that Juergen had something suitable left over from a special run, and it had an MT2 shank. Mind you, even though the bit was 50% long than the stock item, it was around 400% of the price. On the other hand though, if it saves a great deal of time, and makes life significantly easier then it's money well spent. Pays to ask eh?
    Brett has witheld the name to protect the innocent or rather in this case the guilty. It was me.

I was originally concerned that the quest for this particular drill bit would hold up the rest of the order, but as it turned out it was an off the shelf item, much to our surprise.. I am assured that there is no delay on this account.

Many thanks to Brett for his enthusiasm and help, which stemmed from his curiosity as to why I would want a 600mm x 32mm auger bit. I explained that I didn't want that, but there were no bits listed that were longer. Instead of my original order for 2 x 600mm bits I have settled for 1 x 600 and 1 x 900 (I could have had one at 1200 and I was tempted, but the cash flow was starting to be a little stretched.)

I don't know if Juergen has time to read these threads, but if he does my thanks to him too.

Now I have never dressed up as AH, but I did once dress up in arabic attire. As it was all black I suppose it could have been the Touareg, but I don't really know. I do know that my local supermarket in the west end of London was not quite ready for me, fully hooded, circumnavigating the store looking for the cereals. When I think back on it I probably resembled the grim reaper more than a tribal chieftan. A few people backpedaled a little faster than neccessary.

Don't worry it was in the days before cameras!

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Whew! This freight is doin' me head in! I also lost a couple of days changing over from Mac with Optus donger to PC with TPG ADSL2+.

It seems that any way we look at it, air freight is going to be mega expensive:
    Juergen/UPS/Air for the nine parcels is $3400 which would hopefully not get GST & Import Duty
    Juergen/UPS/Air for 1 parcel is about $850 + $1200 GST + $600 Import Duty + whatever else = $2650+ So far this is the cheapest!
    Juergen/DHL/Air is double UPS for one parcel
    Me/DHL/Sea they won't do it for a one off
    My mate/FedEx/Air nine parcels $4068
    My mate/FedEx/Air one parcel $1600 + $1200 GST + $600 Import Duty + whatever else = $3400+

So that leads me to think that I should investigate sea freight with Juergen (I know that he sends other parcels to Australia by sea freight). This of course will take 8-10 weeks and will include + $1200 GST + $600 Import Duty + whatever else, but it may be possible to minimise that.

Maybe a bit of is required with the Juergen/UPS/Air for one parcel option.

Your comments are very welcome!
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY

Funny... I just paid Amazon US$26 to send a box that would fit the bits I ordered, and be *almost* as heavy I'm sure - by Priority International Courier - and said box was delivered to my desk in Newcastle in 60 hours from online order.

Do they charge per bit??

Size and weight Lee?
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY

From memory about 100x250x300mm, maybe a couple of kg.....

For myself Brett I'm not in a rush but by all means push for the best deal.

Others might be hanging out for their orders and if that means more $$ that's OK by me.

Appreciate your hard work on this.
    Cheers, Ern

Amazon is not a good indicator of postage costs as they have negotiated massively discounted international shipping rates with DHL and other carriers. Add to that there would be far more traffic between the US and Aus compared to Germany and prices will be cheaper yet.

I think somewhere we may want to go from here is get the sizes and weights of each of the packages as the figures from COLT really do seem excessive. Do you reckon that's possible Brett? I think a bit of further querying might keep him honest as a Veritas vise and lots of other gear (from Germany) in a large box only cost me 60EUR. I wouldn't be surprised if Jeurgen is either quoting at next day shipping or might be adding a bit too much 'handling' of P&H in. If we make it clear to Jeurgen we will be weighing and sizing the boxes when they get here that might help as well...

My thoughts (and happy to help research German shipping rates)

James
    Last edited by critterjg; 6th July 2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention the vise was from Germany as well!

Quote Originally Posted by critterjg View Post
    Amazon is not a good indicator of postage costs as they have negotiated massively discounted international shipping rates with DHL and other carriers. Add to that there would be far more traffic between the US and Aus compared to Germany and prices will be cheaper yet....
    I agree - but it does seem like these figures are about the equivalent of adding the cost of sending each persons order separately!

I'm with Ern though - I'll go with the flow, if it means more cost, then so be it - still cheaper by a large margin than local....