Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: tool problems

Default tool problems

i made the mistake of going to the markets today to check out old tools.
    the planes did not do much for me (sorry derek)
    i was disgusted to see fairly new stanley planes with plastic handles (yuck)
    but the handsaws were another thing,i restrained myself from buying any old handsaws but dont know how long this will last.
    my wife could not understand the joy i felt checking out an old disston for $15 and thinking of offering him $8.
    as the wife doesnt venture to the back shed ,i may have a chance of making a collection down there before she finds out and i plead ignorance and get a way with it.
    how can you justify starting a collection of tools to your other half?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Farm boy
    i made the mistake of going to the markets today to check out old tools.
    That's hardly a mistake...

my wife could not understand the joy i felt checking out an old disston for $15 and thinking of offering him $8.
    Now, that's a mistake. NEVER TAKE THE WIFE TO THE MARKET. You need a Disston #12. Not a cute porcelain dog.

how can you justify starting a collection of tools to your other half?
    Simply, you do not start a collection of tools. You are a woodworker. You build stuff. I, for example, make bookends. (Actually, I practice hand cutting dovetails - these become bookends as soon as they leave the shed.) When you build stuff you need tools. You just get the best tools for the job. When asked, you can always say that the new bookends you are working on are made of Jarrah, and that old sawyou had is an 8 PPI saw, which is not suitable for Jarrah. You just had to have a 9 PPI saw. Also, do not forget that you are very lucky that the seller did not know what he had in his hands. Disston saws sell for US$100 at least - check vintagesaws.com you get it for $15.

i might try that dovetail bookend application my self.and offer that bloke $10 for the disston next month at the markets if he still has it.

he did have a #12 handle but no blade attached (pity)