Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Nice!
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Ok whats with all the breathing aparatus.
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

I know that the spat with Woodwould is done and dusted, but I just wanted to thank you Ben for an interesting thread with great photos. It's hard when you go to the trouble to put yourself out there and show people your creative work, and someone comes along to demonstrates a narrow-minded lack of appreciation. I'm not really into modified ute backs either, but nothing surer than when I was your age I would have been!

By the way, I have one criticism: your TIG welding is annoyingly brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by drsed View Post
    I know that the spat with Woodwould is done and dusted, but I just wanted to thank you Ben for an interesting thread with great photos. It's hard when you go to the trouble to put yourself out there and show people your creative work, and someone comes along to demonstrates a narrow-minded lack of appreciation. I'm not really into modified ute backs either, but nothing surer than when I was your age I would have been!

By the way, I have one criticism: your TIG welding is annoyingly brilliant.
    I wasn't aware of any 'spat' as you put it; Ben used profanity and made it personal, so I simply walked away rather than provoke any further unpleasantness. I congratulated Ben at the start on his fabricating skills and as he put his work up here for criticism, I offered my critique. Ben wasn't happy with that and asked for alternative submissions, which I obliged with the suggestion of a nice panel beaten stepside. That still wasn't enough for Ben. You just can't please some people.

Ben probably thought by coming onto a new forum and slinging a lot of money around that he would impress everyone and was somewhat put out when not everyone 'ohhhed' and 'ahhhed'.

I appreciate quality workmanship in any form (and BTW, I'm an accomplished welder myself), but am I to be labelled 'narrow-minded' because I don't like boxy looking trays? I don't like animal cruelty either… what does that make me?
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

Quote Originally Posted by drsed View Post
    I know that the spat with Woodwould is done and dusted . . ..
    Not if it keeps getting a mention. (Oops, I just mentioned it. )

Hey Ben,
    I still reckon you are on the right track with the boxing underneath the tray and colour coded to the cabin (Black) . . . not the wheel colour or any advertising colours. Black will tie the tray in with the cabin and be the most stylish.

Once again . . . seeing you asked and seeing you appear to have both time and money to change whatever you want . . . . maybe the sharp folded edges (of the boxing) along the side of the vehicle could be replaced with rounded, curved lines. Similar to the Holden ute pictured earlier, the curved flowing lines of your cabin would then flow through to the end of the tray . . . just a thought.
    But wait there's more . . . I see that the height of the vertical sides of the boxing was determined by the size of the lighting at the rear. The vertical sides (in my opinon) do appear to be a bit large but that appearance may be lessened once it is painted black . . . similar to how putting on a pair of black pants makes peoples fat a#*"s look smaller than they actually are
    However, if a re-desgn is on the cards, maybe a smaller light configuration at the back will allow you to reduce the height** of the vertical faces of the boxing before it curves inwards/downwards. **height to roughly be the same size of the RHS of the tray frame.
    Anyway, whatever you do, it will still be a hot looking tray conversion. Good luck with it.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Bazzmate View Post
    Not if it keeps getting a mention. (Oops, I just mentioned it. )

Cheers
    You're right. I just haven't been back on for a while and saw it and reacted. Fair criticism (of me).

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwould View Post
    Ben wasn't happy with that and asked for alternative submissions, which I obliged with the suggestion of a nice panel beaten stepside. That still wasn't enough for Ben. You just can't please some people.

Im pleased with your addition of a sidestep. That was enough, I dont see where i suggested otherwise? Just because "im not convinced it would suit a 2010 fg xr6 so much" does not mean I didnt appreciate your suggestion.

You just can't please some people.
    That I agree with.

Ben probably thought by coming onto a new forum and slinging a lot of money around that he would impress everyone and was somewhat put out when not everyone 'ohhhed' and 'ahhhed'.

Im not here for glory, Im here for advice and feedback, which I am getting plenty of and its mostly good. There will be a lot of things mentioned in this thread going into this build. Slinging money around? ?

Lets just leave it and all i can do is put you down as a tick in the "NO" column. Thanks for your vote

Now..... Without slinging too much money around may I show what I got up to today? or should i now say yesterday? Please keep ooh aahs to minimum.

LMAO look at the difference to the old beast in the background

Before you ask, yes the tray fits. Now lol
    I bit of a cut n shut.

Whens the airbags going in

I got an idea that will show off the ss skills

Scrap the boxy shape tray it doesnt show any ss other than the added "trimmings" and does not suit the shape of the FG, give the tray an organic shape not square.
    A pair of ss 2~3" pipes mandrel bent with webbing or plate welded inbetween them a couple inches apart(like those fancy double roll bars), have cutouts so the top of the tyres can be seen, radius curve all corners have no long straight lines other than directly behind the cab.
    You could fit the tail lights and # plate into it too... and this being a woodwork forum get rid of the chequer plate and use some nice figured wood

Quote Originally Posted by Harry72 View Post

Scrap the boxy shape tray it doesnt show any ss other than the added "trimmings" and does not suit the shape of the FG, give the tray an organic shape not square.
    A pair of ss 2~3" pipes mandrel bent with webbing or plate welded inbetween them a couple inches apart(like those fancy double roll bars), have cutouts so the top of the tyres can be seen, radius curve all corners have no long straight lines other than directly behind the cab.
    You could fit the tail lights and # plate into it too... and this being a woodwork forum get rid of the chequer plate and use some nice figured wood
    Now thats thinking a bit left feild.
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

... and this being a woodwork forum get rid of the chequer plate and use some nice figured wood
    Now you're talking! How about veneering the sides and getting to turn you a chunky Red Gum roll bar and then steam bend it into shape? You could woodgrain the cab to match the veneered tray. Brilliant!
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

I rekkon that would indeed look quite flash I was steering away from using stainless because of weight factor, and didnt want to use ally for same reason but opposite end of the scale.
    I do like the idea though and will ponder it..
    As for the decking, how does it hold up in the weather? i love the polished floorboard look but was steered away because it doesnt last... This area i am clueless in and is there a better place for me to ask? i think not haha...

Now you're talking! How about veneering the sides and getting to turn you a chunky Red Gum roll bar and then steam bend it into shape? You could woodgrain the cab to match the veneered tray. Brilliant!
    when it comes to all this timber stuff i have no idea... but it all sounds pretty damn good...to me...
    But again my question is how it weathers?
    Whats 's thoughts on your suggestion?
    All post a pic of the interior when i get the car back from tuners.
    Again i have no idea when it comes to woodwork, you can just craft new trimmings from wood? lol (this is why im stuck in the metalwork part of the forum)

Quote Originally Posted by ben@SS&A View Post
    Whats 's thoughts on your suggestion?
    does what he's told. As long as it involves turning something big, he'll be happy.

Regards, Woodwould.

Haha... good boy ...
    Now for 's next trick, he will make an appearance in the metal section

I was just wondering who the poor mechanic is going to be to remove the exhaust when it needs replacing.

Is the exhaust going to be rubber mounted?

As for red gum roll bars, all things can be done. May not be legal but can be done.

I personally would be looking at LED tail lights that blend in unobtrusively.