Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ben@SS&A View Post
    Arc Force? cant say I have... Whats it for?
    What material do you weld mostly? Im pretty much an expert with stainless but an ametuer with aluminium, dont enjoy it at all. Trying to teach myself probably isnt the best way either haha. With stainless i will weld anything to anything confidently, with aluminium, very different story. Like just welding a 1/2" hosetail to a piece of 4" ally tube, I got no idea. In stainless piece of cake.
    Arc force is a voltage adjustment. It adds some heat but mainly helps in situations where fusion is an issue. For GTAW it helps push the weld bead through the root and leave a nice convex penetration bead.
    In the manual that came with your welder they don't show how to adjust it! Some of these machines came with it factory set at 10% and it should be set at 30 as standard! I adjust arc force from 30 to 50, no lower and no higher to cover my needs.
    To adjust; machine needs to be on DC, panel, base weld. set base amps to 38 press twice then adjust base amps to 42 and press again, this will then light up the AC frequency light and you can adjust the arc force. Again set it at 30 as a general setting for GTAW and MMAW (send me a pm with phone # if you need to be talked through this).

Spent considerable time welding sanacro28 stainless in acid pumping plants, but now weld all materials due to boats, bikes and aeroplanes!

That tray is looking very good!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Thanks Stringy... I shall have to check the arc force setting and have a play...

As for the tray...

Here is some pics of how it is right now...

I dont know if im a fan... Think I might paint the underneath black now also and only have the checkerplat and stainless mudflaps all shiny... In contrast to the black everything else it should look ok...
    also thinking of not having the ladder bars going through to form the step anymore and instead continuing the underneath box right up to the cabin.
    Maybe even somehow make it go down to meet the bottom of the cabin.

It will look a lot better when all the blue and the aluminium box underneath is sprayed black. The mudflaps will stay polished stainless and the floor will stay polished checkerplate...

I dunno....

Thoughts???

It does look half finished, and this is generally my thought on all one tonners.

I think it would look better if there was checker plate bent to the same body shape all along the side to blend it in better with the ute body, this would give it cleaner lines.

Also dont see any tie down options.
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

I agree with Jim on the tie-down option. I also agree with you on the painting of the underside of the tray black, as it would help tie the whole thing back to the ute. Maybe too roll bars, for when you want to carry longs planks of timber or sheets?

When I first saw this thread I thought, "He's pulled the XR tray off! " But I can see the value in what you;ve done as it's advertising the business.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

I find it hard to comment on issues of "taste" and "style" as they are so individual! So my comments are what I would like and not what you should do!

The tray and cab look like two seperate units, with no area of the tray blending with cab, I would;

Get a heap of cardboard and masking tape and build what I want on the ute first then use this as a pattern, would paint the finished pattern to see if it would be better black (ms painted) or silver(al/ss). Cardboard patterns were always a first step throught my trade.

Not slope those tail lights but keep it basic-not fussy/busy but tough.

Slope the sides of the under tray down to a point level with the base of the mudguard/cab, about 75mm behind the guard run parallel with the tray, carry this line through to another box/tray in front of the rear tyre running parallel with the tray and level with the cab.

Headboard; large diameter tube (painted same as tray edges) with checker plate insert.

All black except for al plate.

I agree that painting the folded box section underneath black would help, as well as running the same section between the mudguard and cabin - I don't think trying to shape it into the cabin profile will work - the break in body style between the cabin and tray is what gives those vehicles their "look".

You might also think about picking up the cyan or grey of the text on the door and using it somewhere on the tray to increase the "branding" element, but in this case perhaps less is more when it comes to colours and textures.

Awesome tray conversion. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Seeing you asked . . . I would vote for the black painted underside and tray edges. Continuing the underneath boxing towards the cabin would be a good choice too.
    . . . and IMHO, (for practical and aesthetic reasons), a small head board that comes up no higher than the bottom of the back window. Depends if you like the look of the back of the cabin or not?
    Cheers.

Shouldn't there be something more than the orignal thin pressed steel between the new tray and the cabin.
    the original ute had two layrers of steel, the thin stuff at the rear of the cab and the front of the ute tray
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

You are undoubtedly a highly skilled fabricator, but what a mess you've made of the ute! I know it's only a Ford, but still. I don't think it's the best shot at promoting your business.
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazzmate View Post
    Awesome tray conversion. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Seeing you asked . . . I would vote for the black painted underside and tray edges. Continuing the underneath boxing towards the cabin would be a good choice too.
    . . . and IMHO, (for practical and aesthetic reasons), a small head board that comes up no higher than the bottom of the back window. Depends if you like the look of the back of the cabin or not?
    Cheers.
    Continuing the underneath boxing and painting it black is the mojority vote atm.
    there will definately be a headboard.

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    Shouldn't there be something more than the orignal thin pressed steel between the new tray and the cabin.
    the original ute had two layrers of steel, the thin stuff at the rear of the cab and the front of the ute tray
    When the bars go on there will be a headboard mounted to the front bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwould View Post
    You are undoubtedly a highly skilled fabricator, but what a mess you've made of the ute! I know it's only a Ford, but still. I don't think it's the best shot at promoting your business.
    Its not finished mate... not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    I agree with Jim on the tie-down option. I also agree with you on the painting of the underside of the tray black, as it would help tie the whole thing back to the ute. Maybe too roll bars, for when you want to carry longs planks of timber or sheets?

When I first saw this thread I thought, "He's pulled the XR tray off! " But I can see the value in what you;ve done as it's advertising the business.
    imo the xr tub is ugly. ait fat and ugly. the guards are way to flared and how the wheels sit so far in just made me not even look down that end of my car.
    forever every tray back ute i see i have to have a good look at it. i like the tray much more than the tub. And yes its hopefully going to turn heads and therefor be advertising the business.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringy View Post
    I find it hard to comment on issues of "taste" and "style" as they are so individual! So my comments are what I would like and not what you should do!

The tray and cab look like two seperate units, with no area of the tray blending with cab, I would;

Get a heap of cardboard and masking tape and build what I want on the ute first then use this as a pattern, would paint the finished pattern to see if it would be better black (ms painted) or silver(al/ss). Cardboard patterns were always a first step throught my trade.

Not slope those tail lights but keep it basic-not fussy/busy but tough.

Slope the sides of the under tray down to a point level with the base of the mudguard/cab, about 75mm behind the guard run parallel with the tray, carry this line through to another box/tray in front of the rear tyre running parallel with the tray and level with the cab.

Headboard; large diameter tube (painted same as tray edges) with checker plate insert.

All black except for al plate.
    I have a few different patters for the taillights. im also not a fan of the layout in the last photos. will probably end up going with three horizontal.
    as for blending, i was never going to try to blend it with the cabin, would probably be excellent if done right, but i was after that tough commercial/industrial look.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyArc View Post
    I agree that painting the folded box section underneath black would help, as well as running the same section between the mudguard and cabin - I don't think trying to shape it into the cabin profile will work - the break in body style between the cabin and tray is what gives those vehicles their "look".

You might also think about picking up the cyan or grey of the text on the door and using it somewhere on the tray to increase the "branding" element, but in this case perhaps less is more when it comes to colours and textures.
    i agree with your first paragraph...
    as for the colour coding i was maybe thinking of having some text on the underneath part at the back for some extra advertising

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Carroll View Post
    It does look half finished, and this is generally my thought on all one tonners.

I think it would look better if there was checker plate bent to the same body shape all along the side to blend it in better with the ute body, this would give it cleaner lines.

Also dont see any tie down options.
    There will be tie down rails underneath. at this stage they will most likely be polished stainless and be bolted on with stainless nutserts. also tie down loops will be on the bottom of the ladder bars when they go on.

Actually.

How about, instead of just saying i have made a mess of my ute, offer some "constructive" criticism mate.
    what dont you like?
    what have i done wrong?
    how could i do it better?
    what would you have done?

Im not scared of scrapping the whole thing and starting again...
    And dont start by saying get a Holden lol

Comments like yours spoken face to face would be considered rude and most likely a chosen response of telling someone were to go would probably ensue,

Nice work Ben, says a lot about the quality of your craftsmanship and I am sure if something doesn't look right you yourself will be the first one to pick it up.
    So far its turning out to be one awesome XR6.

Regards,

Frank.

In trying to learn a little about everything,
    you become masters of nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ben@SS&A View Post
    Actually.

How about, instead of just saying i have made a mess of my ute, offer some "constructive" criticism mate.
    what dont you like?
    what have i done wrong?
    how could i do it better?
    what would you have done?

Im not scared of scrapping the whole thing and starting again...
    And dont start by saying get a Holden lol
    Well there goes my best suggestion! Seriously, I would have left the ute alone. If you didn't like the look of it in the first place, why did you buy it?

It looks like you reversed the ute into a bus shelter. Trying to graft a tray made of welded RHS and treadplate to a pressed steel body with multi compound curves is never going to come off successfully. In my opinion, you'd have better spent your advertising dollars by erecting an edifice at your local footy or cricket club and slapping a huge placard on it with your business details.

I wouldn't give my business to anyone who thought a half-baked ute looked good. Now if you were a panelbeater and hand fabricated a pretty little step-side with an English wheel, well...
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast