Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Makita SCMS LS1016

I'm hoping to retrofit my new saw with the laser feature that is on the 1016L.
    I was wondering if anybody knew if this was possible and where I can find one

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I think the closest thing you will find is one of the 'after market' laser saw guides that are effectively a battery powered laser built into an extra thick washer. The better ones use a centrifugal switch, so only come on when the blade is spinning, some also have a manual switch in case you have alignment problems.

Check out Rockler, Lee Valley, Woodcraft etc via the Internet - I haven't seen any offered for sale in Australia.

And, if you are importing one, fire off an email/letter to Australian Customs with the relevant URL's for the unit you are going to buy, and get an 'official' reply that the item is not considered a prohibited laser pointer - better safe than sorry, easier to get permission than to ask forgiveness.

Checkout Professional Woodwork Supplies at Laser Guide for Mitre Saws. I haven't used this product or any other similar one and will be very interested in how you go.

I have the 1016L and I'd definitely go aftermarket than retrofit-

Not so familiar with the strength of the aftermarket ones but the irony of the stock one is that the lack of light needed to be able to see the stock laser clearly makes it hard to see where you're cutting in the first place to make it of any use.

Absolutely fantastic for dark workshops and overcast/nightwork outdoors however.

Also a drawback is that it only has the laser set to the left/right of the blade but my 1016L bevels to both sides, thus limiting the versatility of what the laser could achieve- you really need project cut for both sides of the blade.

Funnily enough the price difference between laser/non-laser models makes the aftermarkets almost no difference in price (I think I noticed a $150AU difference at one time). I'd much prefer the one that casts the kerf shadow than one that is a non-integrated alignment gadget.

Not sure of the non-laser models but mine has a switch insert just on the flat past your knuckles on the handle, and there is a 4-5 inch plastic laser housing section that attaches at the end of the cast aluminium blade guard arc.

To be honest I tried to use it, I really did, but as one other person said once, you go back to sighting and trusting your senses after a while.

Hope that steers you in the right direction...

Cheers,
    Garth

Quote Originally Posted by woodhunt View Post
    To be honest I tried to use it, I really did, but as one other person said once, you go back to sighting and trusting your senses after a while.
    Yeah, my thoughts exactly.