Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Stepper cabling

Default Stepper cabling

Slowly starting to pull together the final bits and peices for my cnc although getting stuck on the electrical side of things!

Can anyone tell me if this cabling would be suitable for stepper cables? 4 Core Screened Professional Microphone Cable - Jaycar Electronics

I'm running 570oz steppers with a 48V/12.5amp powersupply.

The cable cores seems to look the same size as the wires coming off the steppers but just not 100% sure on this

Many thansk in advance
    Glenn

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Looking at some wire gauge tables, this seems to be 22awg which should be fine for your application.
    What's the current rating of your stepper?

Thanks

They are Keling KL23H2100-50-4B Page Title
    Going by the spec sheet the steppers are 5A.

Cheers
    Glenn

I get 0.6633 mm diameter. (11x0.20)

Calculating the approximate diameter of a multi-strand cable.

Which is a touch larger than 22 Guage

AWG to square mm Wire Gauge Conversion

On a side note, since your machine is nice looking, i'm thinking you are contemplating using cable chains to keep your wires neat and tidy and add that pro look to it. Just note that the Jaycar stuff is not rated to be continually bent, actually very few cables are except industrial control cables. Even though standard cables will work its only a matter of time before it will fail(All cables will fail eventually but industrial cables last a fair time). So its a double edged sword, buy epensive cable like LAPP's Olflex Classic series or Blekin control cables or pay for cheap cables that you will end up replacing and hope that when they go, they don't take anything with them(unlikely though).

DKSH in melbourne sell good cables, by the meter, for a good price. From memory a mate did his machine lately after i put him onto them, with olflex classic 110CY, 1mm^2 and it was only $5.50/m and they also posted out express cheaply. I'd recommend for your machine 0.5 - 0.75mm^2 olflex classic series. Any will do with 4 cores, but try and get the ones with numbered cores and not VFD style cables (3c + e) which only have 3 black cores and green/yellow earth. Makes it harder to identify...trust me.

Anyway, just an option as i don't like seeing people downgrade their machines for the sake of a few bucks.

Daniel

hey guys thanks for all the info, has really helped me to understand more about wire etc. also helped to ensure i got the right hook up wire for putting together my power supplies and driver boards.

Not sure how i missed it but i didn't realize that Chris stocked 4 core sheilded wire,(4 Core 1.0mm2 Screened Flexible Cable (per/m) - $3.30) so i have put an order in for that. good to support the people we have on the board and keep things turning.

Daniel thanks for the heads up, that makes sense about selecting a cable that can sustain continual bending.

Cable Chain! to tell you the truth i hadn't even thought of that, seem to get distracted on too many things! i'll have a look around and see what i can find. It will need to be fairly wide as there will be a fair amount of cabling held withing the chain, Steppers, limit/homing, 2 for the spindle.. proably need around a 50mm capacity.

Thanks again everyone
    Glenn

Glenn,

Sounds like your on the right track. If your going to speak with chris, make sure you check what size cable chains he stocks. He is getting built up well and is starting to stock alot of useful gear.

Anyway, keep up the awesome work. Its good to see new builds progressing and it shouldn't be long till we see some cuts. I'm trying to get my back side into gear and get back and start updating my build too. Alot is changing and i know photos and hanging around the boards more mean more interested and motivated people.

Daniel