Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Some light art to carry on with.

After finishing the Mango bed and doing a few other odd jobs I have made and art piece for an exhibition in Newcastle next month. I had a great edge off one of the beautiful Mango slabs that I thought I had to be able to do something with. A bright idea, a light, well, a standing lamp anyway. Sketch, twiddle, think (owch) ahuh. This is what I cam up with. Some more old shoe lasts, timber this time, some scrap steel left over from other projects and throughout days, my Mango edge strip and I'm away and some electrical gear. I shaped the Mango so it didn't look like a piece of slab, bent up my steel legs and a hanger for the light. The cable just runs through eye screws up the shaft so I needed a cable holder, thats the little thingy made out of ebbony. The yellow lead is just a yellow extension cord (yellow, Mango) the lamp shade is an antique milk glass one that you may have had in your bathroom or somewhere as kid. As usual the photos don't do it justice. Looks pretty funky in the flesh. The last photo is my next project, another lamp, just luck of the draw. I'll post a new thread on it in the next day or so.
    Instagram: mark_aylward
    www.solidwoodfurniture.com.au

A good edge takes a little sweat!!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Lovely!!

A 'brilliant' piece! I particularly like your use of the shoe lasts.

It has the look of a tall skinny stick man with now arms CH needs arms (another two lights either side)

Like it, like the gun butt shape at the base, interesting use of scarp timber.

2nd one should be called "Seeing the Bright side of Women"

Hey guys, he (he has mens feet) has yes, a rifle like stock at the bottom, the top is almost like a fishing rod with the line through the eyes and the bends etc I had originaly thought about some steel rod arms and maybe hands of some sort but in the flesh I think it would get a bit too busy and conveluted. He is called "Light Headed" in the exhibition cattedog.
    The second I'm thinking Heart Light (all be it a little low) once she gets her feet and wheels (Ray) she will be wrapped in one layer of rice paper with random text and then another layer of rice paper over that. The theory is that she is pretty much just white but when you put the light on you see the text. Like I say theory. Going to have to get back to some real work again soon This is so much more fun though.

It's fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Claw Hama View Post
    . Going to have to get back to some real work again soon This is so much more fun though.
    Fun IS the new "real work" Claw...(the older you get the more you realise it)
    love it..

what if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about?

Hi guys, thanks Alex, thanks Undie. I just have to get a good outlet for the fun stuff so it starts bringing in more dollars than the furniture and then I can realy go to town

I figured I'd just keep this thread running rather than starting another new one so here are todays efforts on the second art lamp.
    Shot 1: never throw anything out (the little curved piece of steel was the tip I cut off the car spring that made the leg of the first Mango writting table) the other small bits are all off cuts of something or other.
    Shot 2: bushing out one of the old sowing machine wheels with some brass plumbing fittings. The threaded nipples were exactly the right size and went straight in with a gentle tap of the hammer.
    Shot 3: Feet spigots are welded on, it actualy stood realy well counter ballanced as it was without the wheels.
    Shot 4: Both feet and wheels welded in place, just have to put a bolt or rivet through the feet and spigot so the feet don't fall off.

Tomorrow it will be wired up and I'll start putting paper on.

Amazing Craw

Thanks Springy. I riveted the feet on this morning with some 3/16 brass metal threads, gave all the undercarraige a clean down and a coat of clear Nycote to protect everything. While that was drying I picked up some more fine white rice paper from the art supplies and a packet of rice flower (to make the paste). Hooked up my electrical fittings and then got down to the skin.
    The rice paper will be torn into strips and then glued over the frame like paper mache or soji (but not as neet). Mixed up a cup or rice flower with some hot water until you have a crepe batter and away we go. Came up a treat, not sure about putting text on it now as it already is very busy with the wire frame which looks pretty sexy, like lace under the paper.
    Tomorrow I will put the next coat on or give it a while, it may not need it.

Thank goodness you don't play golf CH we'd miss out on all these exciting stuff.

Well done

Hi Ray, used to have a bit of a slash, only for fun, hit and giggle, I'm not the competative type (what you'd like to win ok I'll help you)

Just trying pump these couple out before I get into the next real job. Monday I'm starting about a weeks work repairing some lead light sliding windows in the front of a house. The tracks are buggered, painted in - about 70 years worth, the header has sagged and some of the leads are cracked. Not what I realy want to be doing but he can't find anyone else to do it.

Ive got some rather long cupboard doors to make (carved I hope) and would like them to be sliding. What are the best sort of tracks for that Claw?

Depends on the width of the door and the weight of the door. If they are wide but not to heavy you can just get away with a timber or metal track U channel they can slid in and sometimes have a brass I track in the centre but other than that I'd go for a hanging roller system. You can get dedicated cupboard door track systems or you could get a budget track for normal silding doors from Bunnies.

Love them both claw and imagine they look even better in the flesh ... so to speak...
    When and where is the exhibition?
    fletty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast