Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Surf ski

Talking Surf ski

Hi all,

Just about finished my Quick Canoe, really enjoyed building it, and surprisingly for a total novice found it pretty straight forward to build. My question is the 'Surf Ski' you have in your plan list, suited to novice builder like myself, as my ten year old wants something to paddle on his own. Would this be suitable or would you suggest something else.

Cheers

Crawford

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I started building MIK's Russki a few years and a bit back. Unfortunately I didn't finish it - got interrupted by something else, working in an open car-port in winter wasn't the best, same old same old - I do still have it in the shed to get back to. (If I'd had the shed back then it may not have languished.)

The plans were very good, very clear. I didn't bring a great level of skill to the job but found the project comfortably challenging: working methodically, measure three times, cut once, nothing to be scared of.

I think it's a more complex build than the QuickCanoe so might be a good next project. MIK's site describes it as a good project for a first time builder or teenager, and I'd agree. It probably wouldn't take more than a few weekends. I guarantee you'll have no problem building it faster than me!

One tip that I think's important: get the heaviest, thickest sheet of plywood or chipboard you can find to use as the working platform - the backbone gets assembled by screwing blocks and spacers into it. You want it to be rigid. I tried to get away with 18mm (I think) chipboard and it was a mistake. Starting again I'd cough up the necessary to get 20 or 25mm plywood: it'll always be useful and the cost will be forgotten quickly.

My 5c (with inflation and GST)

Thanks for the 5c Michael.

I will make an addition to the plans to cover the thicker chipboard - good one Michael.

The Russki has a lot of parts but the building is fairly straightforward. The seat is a bit unusual being a piece of foam carved to fit one's posterior with glass over the top.

MIK

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
    One tip that I think's important: get the heaviest, thickest sheet of plywood or chipboard you can find to use as the working platform - the backbone gets assembled by screwing blocks and spacers into it. You want it to be rigid. I tried to get away with 18mm (I think) chipboard and it was a mistake. Starting again I'd cough up the necessary to get 20 or 25mm plywood: it'll always be useful and the cost will be forgotten quickly.

My 5c (with inflation and GST)
    You can stiffen up an 19 mm thick piece of chipboard or MDF by getting a couple of 90 x 19 mm MDF strips (the kind they use to frame around a door). Screw and glue them on edge underneath the MDF and it will be extremely stiff for this sort of work.

Ian

Something I've found handy for providing a rigid work platform is old doors. There are plenty around and they are light for their size and rigidity. When I built my S&G kayak I bought 2 from a slavage yard for $10 and am still using one for my strip boat. It just sits over my bench and can be moved around a bit if required. With the dimensions of the Russki it looks like 1 door might be big enough.
    Cheers, Bob the labrat

Measure once and.... the phone rings!

Thank's all

Will get myself a door! And a set of plans. Maybe 'Mik' could come up with a design to recycle all these cheap doors!!

Cheers

Crawford

Quote Originally Posted by labr@ View Post
    Something I've found handy for providing a rigid work platform is old doors. There are plenty around and they are light for their size and rigidity. When I built my S&G kayak I bought 2 from a slavage yard for $10 and am still using one for my strip boat. It just sits over my bench and can be moved around a bit if required. With the dimensions of the Russki it looks like 1 door might be big enough.
    That is a really cool idea. I've used them as magnificent work desks and so on too.

MIK