Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default im a young man into handplanes

hi im a 21 yr old young man into handplanes. i know this isnt too common as most ppl my age just do their work go home and enjoy whatever it is they like. But me i love handplanes, i got like 7 planes. 60 1/2 block plane, 9 1/2 block plane, no 3, 4, 4 1/2, 5 1/2, 7. Anyways ill post up some pictures of my no 7. As u can see it cuts beautifully, full width ribbon shaving flow through the mouth. Wood is whitepine. Plane brand sucks, its called Silverline. But with my finetuning of the plane and expert blade sharpening i make it comparable to lie nielsen or veritas in performance. In the future i intend to become a plane collector, how many ill have i dont know. Right now i only got bench planes and block planes so i intend to get shoulder planes, compass plane, tongue/groove plane. My tafe teacher finds my plane addiction to be somewhat funny. I guess he never seen a guy my age into this type of stuff before, i dont blame him.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Nice work, cant even imagine what you'd be like with 20 years of woodworking under your belt...

Do you have any projects in mind for your no 7?

joez

Quote Originally Posted by joez View Post
    Nice work, cant even imagine what you'd be like with 20 years of woodworking under your belt...

Do you have any projects in mind for your no 7?

joez
    hmmm carcase side. trimming door to fit opening, im doing a project right now at tafe but ill use my block plane to trim it. i'll look totally weird walking to class with a massive no 7.

Default No 7

Many moons ago when I was doing my apprenticeship in the North East of Scotland the No 7 was commonly named the "Haflin". That's the name given to a tall young man as he sprouts into growth. I regret selling my Haflin for the equivalent of about $3 when I joined the Army in 1962. If only!!!
    Jim Grant

Well, good on ya!
    You might do the rounds of 2nd hand shops & garage sales & see what planes you can pick up cheap.

If you want to restore them have a look at my hand plane restoration tutorial here:
    Hand Plane Restoration PAGE 1
    Cheers

Major Panic

luckduck: You should make some discrete inquiries about estate sales, funeral homes/directors usually have contact information for agents.

I don't think your "collecting" interest is odd in the least. Some people collect much stranger things than that (Spanish candlesticks made of recycled glass, for example).

I have great respect for your sharpening skills. You can sell that.

I don't think your addiction (and lets face it, that's what it will become ) is in any way strange. When I was a school boy we didn't have access to fine tools like this, but if we had I'm sure I'd have been hooked much earlier than I eventually was.

What's worse is this addiction will grow to other hand tools in time; chisels, saws... I find it refreshing that modern genareations are still enjoying the tools of old. I know I am.
    "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    - Douglas Adams

If you happened to buy a copy of "A Practical Guide To Sharpening" by a guy named Leonard Lee, you'd soon realize that most of what you see on the covers of Lee Valley catalogs are tools from his personal collection.