Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: My babies :)

Default My babies :)

Hello I haven't been in for ages but thought I might show you some of my babies

For those that may be interested I used Bees wax and Kiwi Boot polish for the colours and finishes.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Yonnee is offline Trailer Bloke & Mild Mannered Moderator

Nice Joe.

Love your work.
    Too many projects, so little time, even less money!
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds! Doing work around the home? Wander over to our sister site, Renovate Forum, for all your renovation queries.

Thanks Yonnee

h
    Here are a couple more. I made the first one for a quadraplegic mate of mine, the second one for my daughters 30th birthday and the last one for the elderly lady next door.

Nice work on the clocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Humphries View Post
    Hello I haven't been in for ages but thought I might show you some of my babies

For those that may be interested I used Bees wax and Kiwi Boot polish for the colours and finishes.
    Boot polish ? Interesting. Would you be able to elaborate on the method used ? I loved all your clocks... particularly the finish on the second one ! Good going !

Thumbs up Great Clocks

Great work it is one of the area's i wont to do and you have helped to inspire me to start doing something about it.
    hope you have a great woody:

Hi Netsup.
    Basically, I apply the boot polish the same as I apply wax. Not sure if it is the recommended way but this is how I do it.

After I have made all the pieces and finished sanding, before I put them together I heat the timber with a heat gun and apply a very liberal coating with a soft rag. After this has soaked in I go over the timber again with the heat gun, being sure to go evenly and not too slow or too fast, this is something you will need to experiment with. Set the timber aside and let it cool. Once it is at room temperature I apply another coat of polish until I have an even coating (not too thick though) and then I buff the whole thing with a clean soft cloth. The good thing is, if you are a bit thin in places you can apply more heat and some more boot polish and that usually fixes the problem. I find if I heat the timber first the boot plosh penetrates better and give a much deeper gloss. You can leave me a private message if you like and I'll send you some photo's as I do the next one.
    Cheers,
    Joe

Hi Collin,
    Glad I have inspired you
    I don't make my clocks from a plan, I pretty much make them as I go, makes it more interesting that way , Also each clock is unique.

Cheers,
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by netsup_somu View Post
    Boot polish ? Interesting. Would you be able to elaborate on the method used ? I loved all your clocks... particularly the finish on the second one ! Good going !
    The second clock is finished in plain bees wax. I apply bees wax by heating the whole clock after I assemble it (but before I put the mechanism and face in)
    Then I heat the wax and apply it with a small paint brush, as the wax dries I apply more heat until the wax is fairly evenly distributed. I let the wax dry for a few hours and then rub like hell with a soft cloth. This is the hard part, you have to rub hard enough to soften the wax enough to even it out but not enough to rub it all off. After I have got it to a nice even finish, I let it sit for a while and then gently rub it with a soft cloth, you will see the gloss start to appear as you work. Using wax of any sort is pretty hard work but well worth the effort. The biggest drawback is, the work can't sit in direct sunlight as this obviously melts the wax. A good rub will usually bring it back to a high gloss though if this happens.
    Cheers,
    Joe