Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default best for aged deck timber

hi Hoping I'm in the right forum.

I have enlarged my deck over the last months and now it is time to treat it.

some background
    The existing deck measured 7 X 2 m and toped with Kwila some 4 years ago. I don't think the builder at the time coated the surface. As such the surface has now greyed off, and the edges are serverly greyed C/w some mould (which I am going to W/Blast off.

All decking was doubled screwed to 100X50X2 gal RHS toped with PVC tape. the structure is fine apart from some staining from wood leaching.

The existing deck is under roof.

New deck
    I enlarged the deck to measure 10.2m x 4.5m. I used the same basic structure - RHS bearers and joists on SHS posts all fully welded (Glad I did that in the winter) the existing deck remained, just the disassembly of the handrails.

The new decking I used was Boreneo Iron wood (timber yard) advised it was duribility 1. Which I need as this part of the deck does't have a roof. This timber was laid approx 3 months ago and already has gone grey.

My question is- Is there a product that I can use (spray / Brush on) to eliminate the greying and what product should I use to get the best out of the timber afterwards preferably with lowest maintence.

or am i looking at some form of sanding to get back the timber look.

any suggestions welcome

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

There are some proprietry cleaners around, which are basically a detergent/acid mix, I've used a few different ones, one called "Deckcleanse" or similar comes to mind. They won't make the timber look like new but they will clean and rejuvenate the appearance.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Quote Originally Posted by marineman
    I have enlarged my deck over the last months and now it is time to treat it.
    WAY TO GO, I hope the wife likes it??

Al

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ozwinner
    WAY TO GO, I hope the wife likes it??

Al
    way to go Ozzy. I see that a bit of care is required when you mexicans read these posts.

Default new deck

Thanks for the info Mick

It was better to be even slightly knowledgable when buying the gear I needed.

I thought there might be some interst in where I'm upto some I hoping to post some pics and give an update in this post.

I ended up buying ceptone deck wash and applying it to the timber. then I water Blasted the whole deck, All 43M2 of it. then when it dried some of the old grey parts were still visable. when it's wet you can't see the difference. So I had to Blast the whole thing again. Lucky the Karcher can take it.

After consulting the paint guys I settled on using an Intergrain product. first step was 2 coats of the timber treatment called dimension 4, luckily I could apply this with a roller. I had it done in a day and half.

Then I started the top coat of the Intergrain DWD, couldn't use a roller so I had to brush it on. Talk about break my back only managed to cover about 14 m2 in whole day. next day came along to finnish the rest and found that previous day work was still tacky and we were having a party on the deck in 2 days time.:eek:

I reread the instructions - this stuff takes upto 7 day to harden and up here in FNQ the heat slowed it down abit. so I didn't apply any more DWD. Party went well but dirtied the deck, out came the waterblaster again. then it rained.

The picture attached was taken at this time. you can see the decking in the background is darker because it doesn't have the DWD on it.

I now put on the rest of the DWD. the deck came up a treat.

Hope this is of interest. I could post some pics of the deck in various stages of construction if anybody would like??

regards

John

"wouldn't be dead for quids"

Hi John,

I'd love to see some more photos as I'm doing a similiar deck.
    I have used Intergrain Dimension 4 and then the UVC, not DWD as you have before and works a treat.

Regards - GC

GC

I'll post another thread in the renovation forum, which is more pertinant to the subject if thats okay. probably do it tonight.

cheers