Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Default Stuff is going on, I promise...

Despite my lack of updates on this thread, I'm actually making progress on the Goat, unlike the several months prior to March. I've added several entries to my blog with more details, so here's a quickie montage:

IMG_0688 by davlafont, on Flickr

IMG_0679 by davlafont, on Flickr

IMG_0693 by davlafont, on Flickr

IMG_0799 by davlafont, on Flickr

IMG_0763 by davlafont, on Flickr

IMG_0781 by davlafont, on Flickr

IMG_0791 by davlafont, on Flickr

I WILL SAIL MY BOAT THIS SUMMER OR ELSE!
    Dave
    StorerBoat Builder, Sailor, Enthusiast
    Dave's GIS Chronicles | Dave's Lugs'l Chronicles | Dave's StorerBoat Forum Thread

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Looking good! Can't wait to see it finished!

Default Quarterly review

I have NOT stopped building my GIS. I've imposed a moratorium on my own blogging of my progress. But, I'm also a Goat junkie that can't get enough of other people's writings and do feel a little guilty for not returning the favor. SO here is a quick status update from New Jersey:

My hull is fully assembled:
    --The Yawl steps and partners are installed and lurking beneath the tank tops until they are called into service sometime in the future
    --The sheer support structure is all built, planed/sanded flush and capped with hardwood
    --The three knees are in and faired into the wales
    --The daggerboard hole is cut
    --The strakes are installed and slightly filleted (there were gaps that need filling anyway)
    --The chines are taped and edges sanded

What's
    --Hull needs exterior epoxy coating, minor edge sanding/easing, and minor interior epoxy touch-ups
    --Mast needs additional epoxy coats
    --Daggerboard needs foil shaping, glassing, and epoxy coating (that's a lot of work)
    --Sail needs its reef points installed
    --Hull wants paint and varnish (although I might splash her without it)
    --Minor hardware like halyard and downhaul anchors and oar locks, etc.

It's close... close enough to tell you that she has revealed her name to me--and it is goat related--but I will not offend Neptune by revealing it to mere mortals first.
    Dave
    Dave's GIS Chronicles | Dave's Lugs'l Chronicles | Dave's StorerBoat Forum Thread

PICSSSSSSSS

Feed the blog

Quote Originally Posted by davlafont View Post
    It's close... close enough to tell you that she has revealed her name to me--and it is goat related--but I will not offend Neptune by revealing it to mere mortals first.

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post
    PICSSSSSSSS
    I had that coming...

The right-side-up pic shows how much material I had to remove to get the wales level with the the ply. Note to all future builders: don't make your life harder than it has to be! The gunwales should only extend past the ply by a mm or so, enough to plane away easily. I planed and planed and planed. I thought I could plane the whole structure at once, but the combination of spacer and wales being different woods at different levels made it impossible. I could plane the outer gunwale, but the spacer-inwale combo had to be belt sanded. 36-grit is what it took, and lots of it. I probably should had run a circular saw over the whole thing...

The upside-down pic is early sunday morning prior to a fairing in the chine tape and the strake fillets. Thankfully is was beautiful weather because I spent the whole day out there with my ROS and 80-grit. Also shown are my oars-in-the-making (they are tapered, but not rounded yet) and my lugs'l. I was fooling around with halyard attachment lashing techniques and flexing the system to see how bendy my boom is. I think it's too bendy to be loose footed, but when I laced it up, I got the sense that I didn't cut enough round in the foot. Eventually I decided that my flat on the ground testing is meaningless and I'll reserve judgement until it's hoisted for realz.

Not pictured is the frosty malt beverage I ended the day while I admired my own handy work. I'm gonna love the hell out of this boat, whether I like it or not!
    Dave

Looks awesome! I LOVE the rounded spacers for the inwale. What a huge difference that makes.

Hi Dave,

Round in the foot is really Cheating sail area. It looks nice and downwind in moderate winds it can unfold and give a bit extra area.

Usually it is there because it is free area under some sort of class rule. I put it there because it looks nice.

MIK

Dave,

Your Goat is looking great!

About that maybe too bendy boom - measure the deflection, put the numbers up in wiki and know how bendy it is.
    Building Gardens of Fenwick, a Welsford Parthfinder
    Gardens of Fenwick
    Karen Ann, a Storer GIS
    Goat Island Skiff - Sacramento

Hull is back in my garage. Bottom, transom and one side have first coat of epoxy. I needed a break, but will shoot to get the other side done tonight.

I've also forgotten that I need to finish off the pointy end of the gun'ls. I have a concept and the wood, I just need to bring it all together. Soon.

Soooooon....
    Dave

Coated. She needs to cure tonight and maybe tomorrow before final light sanding. I'll probably prime and paint while she's still bottom up.
    Dave

Wow!

That looks beautiful.

She is coming along very beautifuly!!

Kudos,
    Al

DEFINITE calendar candidate!

You have to look down this page to find it in the first half metre of the group column.
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/GoatI...20522364649791

MIK

I've tackled my demons (paid them to take the day off) and got to work on my centerboard. No belt sander used at all --unlike my go with the rudder-- and I'm very happy with the shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dave

It doesn't make a whit of difference hydrodynamically ... but I think the instructions must be cloudy ... as the back edge is intended to be a curve.

But quite a few get built with the straight taper with the hard break on the trailing edge.

Interesting.

MIK