Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by woodeneye View Post
    It would work. The problem can be that not all zip ties are created equal. There are the cheap and nasty plastic ones and then there are the quality nylon ones. It also depends on what it has to hold, a forestay, vang, clew outhaul or halyard. Maybe I'd trust the zip tie on the outhaul, just
    The knot above is called the zip snare. Nothing to do with Zip ties, which I agree would not be strong enough.

MIK

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Some of links seem to be dead. YouTube getting squeamish about bondage?

But a little googling shows a that a zip snare is just a prusik. Different name in different domain? Or am I missing something?

Climbing supply stores sell pre-made prusik loops so cheaply that I wouldn't even consider spending the time to make my own fid to make my own loop. But that's my personal bias.

BTW, I believe that callsign222 uses zip ties to lash his sail to his yard. Works a treat.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by paulie View Post
    But a little googling shows a that a zip snare is just a prusik. Different name in different domain? Or am I missing something?
    [snip]

BTW, I believe that callsign222 uses zip ties to lash his sail to his yard. Works a treat.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
    I've watched the zip snare video (anti-climatic BTW) and it goes beyond being a Prusik. It uses a Prusik as a slide or adjuster on another loop which is used to... secure (*cough*cough*restrain*)... an object such as a spar (or an appendage).

Zip ties are common in the Sunfish community for the minor sail ties. They do allow you to creep up on the amount of sail-to-spar distance you want at each grommet which gives the anal retentive Sunfish competitor the feeling that he's squeezing every conceivable advantage out of the (rudimentary) class-legal rig. The hard part is not clicking the zip tie more than desired because there's no going backward. But tack(s), clew, peak, and outhauls are usually tied with Amsteel or equivalent.

I like the braiding work that's shown in the more family-friendly videos, but I would only consider doing something like that for loops that don't get removed. I Just don't see myself fiddling with those loops while trying to secure a reef. They are sure to be more quiet though, and I like that.
    Dave
    StorerBoat Builder, Sailor, Enthusiast
    Dave's GIS Chronicles | Dave's Lugs'l Chronicles | Dave's StorerBoat Forum Thread

Primed on the bottom. Sanding and painting before Wednesday because I'll be out of town after that. Ill also be away for the weekend, so I've got to finish the bottom Mon or Tues.

After that, I flip her back over, hit the rails and knees with epoxy and look for epoxy touch up spots. Then some varnish (only enough to bring back the glow sanded away) and I'll be... done?

No, I also have to prep my trailer for carrying. Close...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dave
    Dave's GIS Chronicles | Dave's Lugs'l Chronicles | Dave's StorerBoat Forum Thread

Broken pictures make me angry

Pictures soothe the savage beast

Dave

My pictures fail...

Dave

Exactly, Bruce.

Charlatan. Even the blog is just mushing about some Marsh Cat.

I'm such a pic-tease!

Actually, I think Tapatalk screwed me on this. But I'm also suffering from Apple Inc's decision to stop internet hosting. I have to rebuild all sorts of content on a new host, and I'm not sure if my forum posts here will ever recover because this site locks your posts after a short period so editing with a new URL seems out of the question. I'll be able to work on all that nonsense... ONCE I FINISHED MY FREAKIN BUILD
    Dave

Damn looking good, Dave. Looking Good. I can't wait to see her right back up again getting fitted out. When are we going sailing?!

Personally, I don't like to link pictures stored on other sites using URLs. Eventually they disappear. Much better to upload them here so they stay put.

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post
    Damn looking good, Dave. Looking Good. I can't wait to see her right back up again getting fitted out. When are we going sailing?!
    My goal... and it's only a goal, so no jinxies!... is to splash her in Lake St. Catherine, Vermont, during Columbus Day weekend. I'll be up there next weekend (Labor Day) but the Goat won't be ready. Plus, I want to spend some time on my Sunfish just to remember how to sail

I was out on Long Island Sound yesterday in my brother's 34' cruiser. We had no idea it was going to be fantastic. Glorious blue sky, mild temps, 20 knots steady from the east, 3 foot seas, sporadic white caps but never really hairy. My 12-year old son and friend were on the rail getting the occasional splash with green water. My 77-year old mom turning green in the face. I broke my toe on a deck block while moving about. It was worth the one-day schedule slip!
    Dave