Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 LastLast

I love Long Island Sound.

What was it that whoozewhatzie called it?

"That great wet barnyard of Long Island Sound" or something like that.

Fitzgerald that's who.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post
    I love Long Island Sound.
    To be honest, I'm getting a little tired of my local bit of it. Hemmed in between the Thimble Islands and Branford Reef, every sail is a slalom course between GIS-eating rocks. I have to go out almost a mile before I'm past the jaggies, and then I'm no longer protected from the chop. I misjudged the tide a couple weeks ago and took a bite out of the tip of my centerboard -- 3/4 of a mile from shore.

I need to finish getting my trailer balanced right so I can explore other parts of the Sound a bit more.

Soooooon......

IMG_0064 - Version 2.jpg
    Dave
    StorerBoat Builder, Sailor, Enthusiast
    Dave's GIS Chronicles | Dave's Lugs'l Chronicles | Dave's StorerBoat Forum Thread

That colour change from the varnish (or fresh epoxy) is just stunning!

MIK

That looks so good I can smell the epoxy.
    Simon
    My building and messing about blog:
    http://planingaround.blogspot.com/
    The folks I sail with:
    West Coast Trailer Sailing Squadron

Fresh epoxy indeed. The old epoxy has been sanded with 220 grit so it accentuates the contrast. But I'm SO pleased with how the plywood end grain creates a dark (racing?) stripe along the rail. I know some builders prefer to hide it in a rebate (or is it rabbet?), but I'm OK with the honesty of the construction and the visual effect.

IMG_0067.jpg
    Dave
    Dave's GIS Chronicles | Dave's Lugs'l Chronicles | Dave's StorerBoat Forum Thread

rebate = rabbet
    forecastle = fo'c's'le
    clencher = clinker (for the clenched nails used in construction)
    ketch = catchen (fish)
    saxboard = Saxon/axe board
    starboard = steer board
    larboard = (maybe) leeboard
    lapstrake = overlapped strake

The Brits with their huge range of different accents and swallowing up other languages (Celtish, Saxon/Danish, Norse, French etc etc etc) are great at creating new words for the same thing.

Great fun!

MIK

Default Disaster strikes, but will not break my will...

Oh fellow Storerboat comrades... I write with bad news... I damaged my nascent yet-unlaunched GIS today. It is repairable, but it puts my schedule into a tizzy.

I pulled her out of the garage for a dry run of all rigging in preparation for her maiden voyage next weekend. The mast met the partner for the very first time and the partner needed some clearancing. That's what today was for. I fooled around with different lashings and bleaters and stuff. I cranked on the 4:1 downhaul. I fiddled with a variety of things. At some point, I had significant downhaul tension on and was swinging the boom around to investigate some binding. POW! The cam cleat securing the halyard let go and the yard was shot downward like an arrow puncturing the fore deck into the buoyancy tank. Profanities streamed from my gut uncontrollably. I spat. I paced in tiny little circles and figure eights. I took pictures.

I'm calm now. I took solace in recalling tales of woe from other members here and I realized that I, too, can overcome adversity as my fellow forumites have done with grace in the past. I will prevail. I built it, I broke it, I'll fix it; I WILL SAIL A BOAT OF MY OWN MAKING, DAMMIT!

She's patched up with duct tape for now. She may launch that way. I see a top-mounted inspection port in her future (because Callsign222 says it's the only way to port). Pics will follow in a separate post.
    Dave

Default GIS Build in New Jersey, USA

Dave

Default GIS Build in New Jersey, USA

Before disaster struck, here was the glory I was reveling in:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349033987.046267.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dave

Yikes Dave! At least that wasn't your head. Glad you are taking this in stride. And I agree that is a perfect place for an inspection port. She's looking mighty fine and will sail great with duct tape over that hole until you get a chance to fix it.
    Simon
    My building and messing about blog:
    http://planingaround.blogspot.com/
    The folks I sail with:
    West Coast Trailer Sailing Squadron

Wow! As Simon said, better the deck than your noggin. I'll add: better on dry ground than out in a blow.

But I know that everyone here feels your pain. You are taking this remarkably well. I'm not sure a camera would have been the first thing I'd have reached for. More likely a bottle of rye whiskey.

Definitely put some duct tape on and go sailing! I cracked my hull in two places on only my 3rd or 4th time out. (Not the same as pre-launch, I know.) I sailed the rest of last season with duct tape over the cracks. We have very few sailing days in this part of the country. Gotta use them all. Repairs can be done off-season. Enjoy your boat.

The "before" picture is quite lovely. In particular, your homemade sail sets very well, with just the right amount of crease along the yard. Beautiful job.

Well, that's a new one, never heard of that happening before. Just goes to show the forces on the halyard why it needs to be lo-stretch. As the others have said, lucky you were not in the way as if the force was strong enough to breach 6mm 5ply, a skull or other body parts would have been in some sort of trouble. No structural damage at least, but still extremely disappointing.

After this, I'd definitely be putting a coin under the mast!

She's looking a beaut, so you must be very proud of your efforts. Congratulations!

Thanks for the sympathy. I hadn't really thought about the knock on the head. I guess it could have been worse indeed. Scotch whiskey tonight for sure.

Meanwhile, I have to determine what "to-do" items to tackle this week. I'm ok with the concept of 70% on time beats 100% late. The boat will float and the sails will drive. My trailer will hold her, but I have to re-install the wiring and the lights. I wanted to make a transom board set-up. Now I think the lights will just go back on the frame. I still need shock absorbers. And the bunks need some sort of eye bolts to connect my tie down straps to.

I also have a functional issue to solve; maybe someone here can help. I padded the inside of the cb case with outdoor carpeting. It seems to be be too much friction for the board. For the record, I used the foil blank as a guide to sizing up the case before clamping/gluing it shut. I feel like I provided enough space, but I didn't consider how much effort it would take to slide the foil through.

Any thoughts on how to shave carpeting inside of a narrow slot? Any thoughts on lubricants? This could be a show-stopper if I can't insert and extract the daggerboard.
    Dave