Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Problems with my Swedish Ralph Osborn Koster

Hello all,

Summer 2010 I was here a lot asking for advice and probably some of you remember. After a long yourney I found my boat and it seemed to be in an extremely good condition. Still it worked out difficult to see and hear everything.

Under this link I have placed a range of galleries about the boat.

Index of /01Images/Sweden-Sailing-Boats/2010/Koster-project-web

01-The-Boat/ = about the boat
    02-Hull/ = the hull, which seems to be OK, even after checking and knocking on the entire hull.

The boat was all it's live on the Swedish west coats in salt sea water. I took it half august 2010 to the Swedish east Coast, which is a lot less salty. (Baltic sea) and took it out of the water in October 2010 before the winter.

When i took it out of the water, we pressure washed the hull and a little chip broke out of the hull.
    This spring I decided to inspect the wood around that area and to my horror to find out that I have problems at the very ends of the planks. (some more, some less)

Initially i thought it was wood rot, but it might be not.
    After scraping the paint I can see that all ends of the planks have many cracks and I suspect that the wood was taking here more water in than the rest of the boat.
    The harsh winters in Sweden will do the rest, with -28C, so the end of the planks really suffered a lot and some area's I could easily scrape out the wood.

see here this gallery;

Koster close-ups

Anyway,

last year many forum members adviced me to lower the keel and to inspect the keel bolts.
    It's now going to be not only inspecting the keel bots but all wood as well.

Wonder what kind of suggestion you all members have in respect to repairing the boat.

I am considering getting a professional fitting in some pieces of wood and hope that I can afford the bill.

Any feedback welcome

Udo

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Welcome back Udo. You likely have a few issues at work here and only an on site inspection will truely uncover the problem(s). This is advice I've given you before and it looks to be time.

So, we finally did bite the bullet and decided what to do:

Take away the bad stuff and take in in stages what to do.

Here are images from the first stage:

and I love it to take all the bad wood away!

renew some planking