Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Timber for boat building

Looking for local Victorian/Gippsland region timber to build a strip canoe any recommendations?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Strip planking for Canoe

Have a look at some earlier threads on this subject. Light weight timber is the best option. Paulownia meets this criteria best followed by Western Red cedar. Unfortunately neither are local species. Check out my web if your interested in Paulownia. paulownia-timber-sales.com.au.

Whitewood

Thanks for the advice.

Have looked at threads but can't find much on Victorian speices. Even if its an introduced species growing in Vic I'd consider it. Not keen on paying for delivery or driving from southern Vic to NSW to pick up. I want local timber so I can see it for myself and because its local.

Thanks again.

Marine Timbers any good? http://www.marinetimbers.com.au/

Duncan.

Info is good Dunc but they only deal in marine ply. Was looking for particular tree speices that grow in Victoria that are good for boat building. Everyone seems to go on about spotted gum but again its grows in queensland and far north nsw.

I want to know a good quality Vic timber so I find a mill near by that cuts that particular sort of timber.

Thanks mate

I bought some hoop pine from them. It was awhile back is true, but they definatlely did sell timber. I would strongly suggest giving them a call. I was very happy with the hoop pine that I got.

For strip planking, yes western red cedar is excellent. However if you go with an alternate timber, say spotted gum, the extra weight would not be huge.

Bunnings seem just to sell radiata pine (definate no go) and tasmanian oak. Tasmanian Oak I am sure would be rot resistant, but my guess is that it would be heavier than an alternate.

Give them a call, if they do not have anyting, then I am sure they could suggest an alternate

another idea would be to phone a timber mill say in Orbost or Noojee, ask what timber they mill, and what supplier they use in Melbourne. If you are keen on environmental values, recycled timber might be worth a shot.

I know this side of town, there is Nullarbor timbers in Williamstown, and Urban Salvage timbers in Spotswood. I am sure there would be some suppliers of recycled timber in the eastern suburbs too.

There is a lot of logging in Gippsland, some of that wood has to come to Melbourne.

Try Mathews Timber in Vermont, might be of some use

Cheers for all the info! I'll start chasing them up

Is this website any good to you ? Timber Suppliers

It is to me EnR, I've just added it to my favourites, cheers

that is a very useful link EnR.. many thanks

I am starting my own little project soon, and will require some more wood. Now last time I used Marine Timbers in the south eastern suburbs, they were ok. However if there is an alternate which is closer, delivery should be less. I got some marine ply from them too.

I also got some marine plywood from a place in Bruswick, whether they also sell timber I do not know, cannot remember the name. Both plywoods (gaboon) were pretty good quality. I think hoop pine is a bit better still, bit is more expensive. Luan from hardware store is woefully bad, I would not even build a flat water canoe out of it.

Marine timbers in Seaford from memory (near Frankston) also sells BoteCote epoxy resin. From a personal view I do like BoteCote a little more than West System epoxy. Absolutely nothing wrong with west system (excellent stuff) it is just that the BoteCote is 2:1 ratio and is a little less fiddly to mix, it might also be a little more flexible. The choice of which epoxy resin for me is more of a personal preference. West System has the plus of fast hardener and slow hardener. You use fast hardener is cold weather, and slow hardener in hot weather. I am not sure if you can mix the 2 hardeners for medium weather.

Boat Cote now make a fast medium and slow hardener. Personally I have never used Bote Cote, although I am sure it is an excellent product. I am simply happy to continue using WEST. I am moving off topic a little here, but I hope that is OK.

Default Boat building timber

Have a look at www.trend timbers.com.au.

They are located in outer suburbs of sydney and are quite helpful

They have a complete list of all sorts of timbers in their download section.
    This listing also gives some tech details on the specific timber and the recommended and suitability for usage.
    It is a very handy resource.
    Cheers
    Peter

Spotted Gum, Tassie Oak and similar timbers are much heavier than is normally used for strip kayaks and canoes. They will result in a fairly heavy canoe.

The timber does not provide the majority of the strength, but it contributes roughly half of the weight of the kayak or canoe. The timber is mainly there to keep the inside and outside layers of fibreglass apart and to look good.

One of several reasons I have built most of my kayaks from Paulownia rather than WRC is the saving in weight.

Freight can be a significant cost, but remember, you don't need full length strips. In fact some builders choose to use strips around 2.4 to 3 metres to build a 5 metre kayak or canoe.

Why not look for second hand WRC? Old skirting boards are usually the right thickness to rip strips the right width. One of my kayaks was built from mostly old redwood skirting boards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast