Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Interactive Hi tech brainteaser!

At last count, I have about 8 grandkids and between them they own a mutitude of electronic playstations, Wii gizmos, ipods, nano thingies, i touch gramaphones, Nintendo DS gadgets so I thought it was about time they had some really up to date state of the art high tech gadget. This is it!
    I am going to call it the iWood because it is made from some scraps of wood I had in the shed. It takes a one dollar coin, and you put it in one end and after a while, if you can shake it about in the right manner, the coin comes out the other end. That should get their attention for about 30 nanoseconds!
    It is a 3D maze, for old buggers like me it takes about 40 minutes to get the coin back, for the kids about 2 minutes max....
    Its one of the projects you make when you just want to fiddle about in the shed.
    And my head I'd be a scratchin'
    While my thoughts were busy hatchin'
    If I only had a brain.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Love it Ruddy.
    Cheers Elderly.

Looks like a fun project. I would have to put the dollar in and when the kids got it out, I would never get it back.

I take my hat off to you Ruddy. What a gem!!!

What is the timber? I'm having a hard time identifying it....

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Great project Ruddy,
    Very impressed and innovative, get the kids off the TV & computer games.
    I'm wondering if the maze could be made more difficult to increase the kids "do time".
    Cheers, Crowie

Awesome idea Consider it pinched

Cheers,
    Dave

Just looking a little more closely, I can't see how the coin gets into the MDF section. Does the MDF have slots in the end, or is it narrower than the wooden case? Do you have any more photos of the wooden section (ie ends and other side?)

Thanks very much. I am quite impressed with this one

Cheers,
    Dave

Wendy,
    I have no idea what the fiddle back timber is....I bought a mixed pack of veneers a few years ago and this was one of the small offcuts that came in the pack. Gotta say I also liked the grain.
    I just clamped and glued it to some three ply. I didnt take a lot of time with this gadget so it is a bit rough.
    Crowie,
    Sure you could make the maze go through any number of stages. This one is just three pieces of 3mm MDF cut out on a scroll saw and then glued together. I wanted to keep the final job as slim as possible.
    It is then sandwiched between two pieces of 3mm ply and then edged with the corresponding coin slots in the edges to line up with the slots on the first piece of MDF. Instead of making an iwood, make a bigger one about quarto paper size and call it an iplank!. You would then have enough room to make a real maze. I dare you......
    Oz, I have posted another picture of the innards showing the coin entry and exit sides. This should answer your question.Using MDF there is no need to use expensive silicon chips, the wood chips have enormous memory and to make the Greens happy, the whole thing is carbon neutral and solar powered with no CFC's . I am just doing my bit to fight climate change.
    And my head I'd be a scratchin'
    While my thoughts were busy hatchin'
    If I only had a brain.

Love the idea, but I'm afraid there are already many products called iWood, so you might have some marketing issues. Most tend to be wooden cases for iPods/iPhones/iCrap. A quick google will reveal all.

Thumbs up

Just can't keep up with the kids, no matter what we do!

Looks like fun
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Quote Originally Posted by Ruddy View Post
    Wendy,
    I have no idea what the fiddle back timber is....I bought a mixed pack of veneers a few years ago and this was one of the small offcuts that came in the pack. Gotta say I also liked the grain.
    I just clamped and glued it to some three ply. I didnt take a lot of time with this gadget so it is a bit rough.
    Crowie,
    Sure you could make the maze go through any number of stages. This one is just three pieces of 3mm MDF cut out on a scroll saw and then glued together. I wanted to keep the final job as slim as possible.
    It is then sandwiched between two pieces of 3mm ply and then edged with the corresponding coin slots in the edges to line up with the slots on the first piece of MDF. Instead of making an iwood, make a bigger one about quarto paper size and call it an iplank!. You would then have enough room to make a real maze. I dare you......
    Oz, I have posted another picture of the innards showing the coin entry and exit sides. This should answer your question.Using MDF there is no need to use expensive silicon chips, the wood chips have enormous memory and to make the Greens happy, the whole thing is carbon neutral and solar powered with no CFC's . I am just doing my bit to fight climate change.
    Thanks - that makes it very clear. Very impressed