Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Metabo KGS Compound Mitre Saw - Where to buy? (melb)

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy a compound mitre saw. Believe the Metabo KGS 1880 to be something well worth investing in. Am wondering on the best place I should be shopping for it from? Hence looking for recommended place? (best price of course)

I've got a guy offering me an ex-demo model, thoughts? on yes/no for ex-demo equipment and an acceptable price if I go ahead with the ex-demo...

I'm set to build some built in wardrobes (3.2m x 2.7m x 0.6m), planning on the frame first, then draws, then lining the outside and adding doors.

Dad has plans for a kitchen as well as two outdoor staircases and decking He's got 80+ cuts of quite wide boards to do for the staircase and decking.

So they're the immediate uses we're aiming for. If you think I'm heading down the wrong path with buying the Metabo, I'd appreciate recommendations here as well.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

HI,

I hear good things about the Dewalt SCDS - evidently the largest capacity going around. I've also heard that you should stay way from SCDS's that have the motor housing at an acute angle as compared to the blade as the joining system (lets call it a universal joint) can fail under heavy load necessitating expensive repairs. (FYI the latest Makita has this configuration).

however the models witht he acute motor housing have a greater range of angles I understand... trade offs huh ???

I've head nothing in particular about the MEtabo but they are a reputable brand so probabloy cant go wrong.

cheers
    Zed

Just on the angled drive saws, I've had my Makita LS1212 for 6 years now and it has had fairly heavy use in that time with no problems yet. The advantage of the angled drive saws is that the saw can be tilted left or right which gives you a greater range of cutting angles. With a direct drive arbor, you can only tilt one way because the motor gets in the way.

If you bought one of the cheap Makita clones, then I can imagine this might be a common point of failure. If mine packs it in one day, I'll buy another one the same.

Don't know if this is as good as the price you have been quoted already but i picked up a metabo catalogue from glenfords and metabo have a sale until the end of Dec, they are selling that model saw for $1249

I got mine at the Canberra WWW show this year for $1160.

Cheers
    The Numbat is a small striped marsupial whose whole diet consists of termites.

Thanks Guys.
    I've talked to the store guy and it is an elektra beckum which he assures me is the same as the metabo. Just a different badge, but they are one and the same company. Hence it is the KGS 303 model.
    Ex-Demo model is apparantly in good condition, I'll head out to have a look at it tomorrow hopefully, and he's asking $739...
    (will have to inspect how good "good condition" is...)

Nice saws. My brother has one. They are extremely quiet as they have an induction motor.

Just check that the depth of cut will be sufficient for your needs. The maximum at 90 deg is 53 mm. By comparison a Makita LS1013 can cut 90.5 mm.

I was all set to buy one as well until I found this out.

Default Metabo KGS 1880

From the Metabo Australian web site - here are some specs

New in Metabo´s range is the innovative 10" super saw, the KGS 1880 Plus offers you a huge capacity with more angles than anything in its class. It cuts bevels at 48° left and right as well as mitres at 50° left and 60° right. With a maintenance-free motor and sturdy die-cast aluminium base, it was built to last. You´ll be impressed with the max width of cut 322mm and max depth of cut 90mm plus adjustable depth of cut for trenching. At only 19kg, this saw is truly versatile.

Cheers
    The Numbat is a small striped marsupial whose whole diet consists of termites.