Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Stanley Chisels

Default Stanley Chisels

I was wondering where stanley chisels were made these days? A guy in a tool shop told me they didn't stock many because they're crap, so i bought another brand. cheers

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

no stanley chisels are GOOD.

AFAIK, they're still being made in England and the FatMax chisels are EXCELLENT value for money and they have a lifetime replacement warranty.

If the Mods don't mind, could you tell us which store as they clearly don't know what they're talking about.

The new Stanley Sweethart socket chisels claim to be made in England. But over on a UK forum they say there's no steel making in Sheffield anymore. I don't know if that's correct. Maybe they're machined and heat treated in Sheffield using Chinese steel

Cheers, Vann.
    Gatherer of rusty planes tools...
    Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club .

I've got three fatmax's and they stand up well next to the old bergs and toledo's that fill the rest of my collection.
    ---

Visit my blog The Woodwork Geek to see what I've been up to or follow my ramblings on Twitter

Thanks guys. That was a super fast response.

Scribbly Gum is offline When the student is ready, the Teacher will appear

Quote Originally Posted by Vann View Post
    The new Stanley Sweethart socket chisels claim to be made in England. But over on a UK forum they say there's no steel making in Sheffield anymore. I don't know if that's correct. Maybe they're machined and heat treated in Sheffield using Chinese steel

Cheers, Vann.
    I was interested in your post here Vann because I would think it a tragedy for a wonderful steel making tradition to disappear from Sheffield. It would be like saying they don't grow grapes or make wine in Champagne any more.
    So I did a quick search and turned up this:
    Special Melted Products Ltd

Name: Special Melted Products Ltd Year of foundation: 1985 Employees number:
    (approximately) 200-499 Location: United Kingdom, Sheffield. Post code S4 7UY Address: Atlas Ho Attercliffe Rd, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, S4 7uy, United Kingdom Contact: Terence Marrison, President Telephone number: +44 114 272 00 81 Fax: +44 114 276 15 56 Web site:
    Activity: Blast furnaces and steel mills; Nonferrous rolling and drawing;
    What a relief.

As for the question about the chisels, I am not sure. Lots of people have the Fatmax and like them and the SW chisels are getting positive comments as well.

Cheers
    SG
    .... some old things are lovely
    Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them ........................D.H. Lawrence
    https://thevillagewoodworker.blogspot.com/

What did you end up buying and how did they go?
    TM

What are you wanting to use them for? I have some Fat Max chisels as general carpentry chisels, they are ok and don't chip easy, but they refuse a keen edge and dull to a certain point quickly. They stay at a semi sharp state of dull for a long time though and are good for general work. They don't seem to mind being dropped on concrete either (I do try and catch it on my boot to break the fall all the same).
    I have a set of Bahcos that I use for anything finer (chopping in hinges and locks etc)

I have just got the set of 5 Stanley Fat Max chisels and hope they are in fact still made in Sheffield as they claimed. I love them. I love them so much I still keep them inside my house. I love them so much my first woodworking project once the shed goes up is going to be a nice box to store them in. I really love my chisels. My dad's set has lasted him 30 - 40 years (he claims) of hard work building houses.