Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Saw Doctor/Sharpening Service??

OK - I've done the obligatory forum search and it seems there is still no definitive reccomendation on a really good service for sharpening hand saws.

I've seen a few posts that point people to Henry Bros, but no feedback with any results. A few reccomentations for some sevices in Melbourne, but again, no first hand accounts of how it turned out.

My experience in getting some panel saws sharpned via soem sort of service offered by the local hardware store was a disaster - looks like it was done by a machine & they came back not much better than they went in, but having been ground down 10mm or so.

Steve from the, now sadly closed, Lumber Bunker had offered to sharpen saws a while back - (Steve, if you are reading this, do you still offer this service?)

My question is this - has anyone had first hand experience with a quality saw doctor who understands how to sharpen & set tenon, sash, dovetail and other hand saws? Prefereably in, or close to, Sydney.

I know I could spend the time & learn to do it, but I would rather find a trusted & highly experienced expert for now.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I've no experience with saw sharpeners in Sydney, however I would recommend Henry Bro's based on accounts of others. (have purchased b/saw blades from them)

In Brisbane I had very good experience with Peacock Saws for sharpening hand saws and saw blades. 89 Victoria Street, West End. Ph: 3844 3381

In Melbourne I use Specialty Saws, Factory 13, 3 Coolstore Road, Croydon. Ph: 9725 8068

That may not really help you Ross, but for anyone searching for recommendations it might.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Ace Saw Service in Melbourne do a respectable job

Ross,

I've used a service in Coburg and the saws definitely came back sharper but possibly with too much set. It's a little bit hard to tell because as far as I'm aware I've never used an expertly sharpened saw (or have I now) to compare it with.....how do you know ?

So where do people who buy fancy saws get them sharpened ? Surely not everyone that owns a high end saw can sharpen it, can they ? I didnt flinch handing over my old Disstons but would be alot more cautious with something expensive.

Waldo and Elanjacobs, have you had any of those places change the number of teeth or go from crosscut to rip etc ?

Cheers,

Sam
    Last edited by Sam; 1st June 2011 at 10:56 PM. Reason: -

G'day Sam,

I've only just handed over something blunt and got it back sharp as. Give them a call.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Default Saw sharpening.

Walk around a few building sights and speak to a few carpenters I would think one will soon point you in the right direction.
    Rowley

Ultimately you will need to learn to file your own saws. It is not that hard to do but it does take a bit of practice. Unless the sharpening service hand files they will probably mess up your saws by re toothing and then power filing, followed by oversetting with a power setter. I own a power filer, re toother, and a power setter. I file by hand, you get a better result.
    Mike

Thanks for the tip Waldo, I'll give them a call.

Thanks for the tips so far guys.

Sam, this is eaxactly why I have posted - I agree - I am sure not everyone who buys premium saws can or will want to sharpen them themselves. I would rather pay a trusted expert.

As stated my experience with what I suspect was power sharpening has been dismal.

Any suggestions for Sydney? I'm still a bit wary of Henry Bros for handsaw sharpening. I think there would be quite a difference between selling new bandsaw blades & sharpening power saws compared to hand filing a premium dovetail saw.

RossM,

Dave, who use to run a little saw sharpening and chainsaw repair shop at Sutherland now works at GYC on Monro Ave, Kirrawee. He still sharpens saws. Give them a yell 9521 3194.

Cheers,
    Virg.

Thanks Virg -

I'll try them out

If you can wait until September The Traditional Tools Group will be running a saw sharpening workshop. You'll have to sharpen the thing yourself but you'll get great tuition and be with a great mob full of banter and bull. There are usually a few old tools for sale too.

TTTG are at:
    The Traditional Tools Group (Inc.)

Cheerio,
    Virg.

I am based in warragul victoria and I am a saw doctor tool maker by trade. Although I no longer actually do it for a living, I have a growing number of people that I sharpen handsaws for. Sam suggested I put a post in this thread. I do all my work by hand, The way it is meant to be done, so don't bother asking me to sharpen one of the new hard tip saws.

I did actually start a thread in the handtools section about sharpening handsaws, which shows a saw that was in quite a state of disrepair that I fixed,

here is the link. https://www.woodworkforums.com/f152/h...pening-114411/

as with most sharpening, saws which have been well maintained are a lot easier to keep sharp and I generally charge less to do them, however I have even repaired saws in such bad condition that it has taken 2 or more hours to get them right.

My suggestion would be to send me some good photos for assessing the condition of your blade and I can give an accurate quote on what it would cost to sharpen them. A good quality handsaw is an expensive thing and should be looked after, Proper sharpening not only makes a saw more pleasant to use but also increases the working life of the tool. It really annoys me when people send their saws into saw shops and they grind a heap off of them.

You can send me pictures and messages at [email protected]

As stated I do not do this for a living any more but simply offer it as a service to people who consider their tools too valuable to be done roughly by people who do not care.

My charges vary depending on the condition of the saw (files are $15 each here) and postage is charged at what ever aus post charge you when you send them to me.

Sincerely Travis
    I am told that sharpening handsaws is a dying art.... this must mean I am an artisan.

Get your handsaws sharpened properly to the highest possible standard, the only way they should be done, BY HAND, BY ME!!! I only accept perfection in any saw I sharpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowley View Post
    Walk around a few building sights and speak to a few carpenters I would think one will soon point you in the right direction.
    Rowley
    most chippies dont use hand saws nowdays and when they do they are the cheap throw away ones, even a lot of the cabinet makers have gone down this line because it is very rare that they actually have to cut anything by hand.
    I am told that sharpening handsaws is a dying art.... this must mean I am an artisan.

Get your handsaws sharpened properly to the highest possible standard, the only way they should be done, BY HAND, BY ME!!! I only accept perfection in any saw I sharpen.

my signature down the bottom has been there for quite a while and it came about because I went into several shops looking for a specific handsaw file, The last option I had was a place which sells and services all kinds of tools and when I asked them if they had the needed file they said "what do you want that for?" "to sharpen a hand saw!" I say, the response I got was "Oh there is no one who does that any more, everyone buys the hard tip throw away saws. The art of sharpening a saw is dead!" To which I replied (tell that to my customer that has his saws in my shed at the moment."

Mind you I should have expected this as I had previously been in trying to buy a new handsaw setter and got a similar response.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast