Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OZ prices versus US prices

I have purchased several products recently (TS55EBQ, OF1400, CT33E, ETS150/3 and accessories) and would like to purchase some more accessories, such as the Dirt trap SBH-CT 33. However, you list this plastic bucket (with a hole in the side) for $200.00, whereas, I can order from Japanwoodworker.com for USD$21.00. (AUD$27.00).

I note that most of the power tools I have compared at festool-usa.com are considerably cheaper than here.

AUS USD AUD %
    RRP RRP @0.762 MARKUP
    OF1000 1087 495 649 67
    CT33E 999 455 597 65
    ATF66 874 495 649 35
    ETS150/3 EQ-plus 478 235 308 55
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Average 55.5%

VS 600 GE 623 248 325 91
    VS 600 SZO 14 200 90 118 67
    FS2400/2 473 167 219 116
    FS3000/2 517 188 246 110
    FS5000/2 792 310 406 95
    SBH-CT 33 200 78 102 96
    FIS-CT 33 /5 80 23 30 167
    STF-D150/8-P24-RU/50 100 26 34 194
    STF-D150/8-P1200-
    BR/100 112 34 44 154
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Average 121%

Come on, 55% mark-up on US prices is steep enough. Do they really need to mark-up accessories by an average of 121%. I understand about the guide rails getting damaged in transit, but a plastic bucket, or sanding pads, or vac bags? I've purchased STF-D150/8-P1200-BR/100 discs from the US for $62 landed including air-freight. I will continue to purchase accessories overseas until the local price equalises.

Furthermore, Festool USA offer a 15% discount if you purchase 3 power tools. Let me see (QF1400 [$852], ETS150/3 [$478], TS 55 EBQ Plus FS [$850]) would put $325 back in my pocket to put towards a jigsaw or drill, or.....

Festool products are simply the best.

I am building a 10.5M long boardroom table using mainly Festool products because I know I couldn't achieve the accuracy I'm after any other way.

If any Festool owners in OZ would like to join together in a bulk purchase fom the US, let me know.

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by monoman

AUS USD AUD %
    STF-D150/8-P24-RU/50 100 26 34 194
    Sorry, the table didn't work out too well, so I'll explain it.

Col1. Stickfix sanding pads - STF-D150/8-P24-RU/50
    Col2. Ozzie RRP $100
    Col3. US RRP $26
    Col4. USD converted to Ozzie $34
    Col5. Markup on US RRP 194% WOW!!!!!

Hope that's clearer.

Did you send this to Festool Australia?

Did they reply?
    Gordon

Get yourself a decent stepdown transformer and then import what you want from the US!

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Don't forget to factor in your tariffs and freight costs.
    This can often negate what seems to be a bargain, then of course there is the warranty, if needed I doubt that Festool Aust would touch it.
    We used to import goods from the US and I would not warrnaty anything that I did not sell, I didn't work on massive margins and to buy off me was about the same as buying direct, some tried and griped when something went pear shaped.
    As addressed, 110v is also going to be a problem with power tools.
    Sanding discs, sure, you might be ahead in that field but the tools raise a serious question mark.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by zymurgy
    Did you send this to Festool Australia?

Did they reply?
    Yes, and yes. I have been having an ongoing discussion with Holger Schulz. I don't consider it ethical for me to share his response to me. He does watch this forum, so perhaps you guys can let him know how you feel too.

Great tools, overpriced consumables. I mean, 100 sanding discs cost $100 here, and only $34 aussie dollars in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    Don't forget to factor in your tariffs and freight costs.
    This can often negate what seems to be a bargain, then of course there is the warranty, if needed I doubt that Festool Aust would touch it.
    We used to import goods from the US and I would not warrnaty anything that I did not sell, I didn't work on massive margins and to buy off me was about the same as buying direct, some tried and griped when something went pear shaped.
    As addressed, 110v is also going to be a problem with power tools.
    Sanding discs, sure, you might be ahead in that field but the tools raise a serious question mark.
    I don't think Festool powertools are over-priced. The prices are only slightly above stuff like DeWalt, Metabo and similar, yet are considerably better designed and work fantastic. I wouldn't consider buying them from OS.

Consumables are a different matter. Happy to order dustbags, sanding discs and other similar stuff from the US.

BTW. From japanwoodworker.com:

To ship a package to Australia that is 3lbs is approximately $22-$24 for Airmail parcel post. Once you hit 5lbs you can request surface post and save a few dollars but only if your package is 5lbs or over.

Customs shouldn't apply to goods under $1,000 either.

Quote Originally Posted by monoman
    Customs shouldn't apply to goods under $1,000 either.
    Carefull there Mono, I understood that they could go the whole nine yards (plus gst) once you pass $250.

No one really knows, and I think they like it like that, sort of a "we reserve the right to...."

I know what you mean about the price of consumables/extras.
    I was chatting with a fellow who uses cow dung as a means of expression (one might even call it art ), about the Festool vac's and he made the mistake of letting slip that a pack of 10 bags (for one of the smallest units) would set me back about $90!!!!!!!!!!

90 dollars!?! are they mad!!??!!

Monoman,

You actually need a bit of stereo thinking before saying the markup is X %.
    The Australian market is half of half a drop in the ocean compared to the US market. You may think we are a big country, our land surface area is big but our whole population fits into a large city! There are easily more woodies in the USA than what our total population is.
    With importing and prices from overseas manufacturers its quantity that counts. If you have the quantity ( your own submission: Quote:"If any Festool owners in OZ would like to join together in a bulk purchase fom the US, let me know.") then the prices come down. The fact that consumables are expensive is well known. It is not only Festool or other woodie suppliers, take the automotive industry for example. They make very little on a new car, that is the reason for giving you 36 months warranty provided the vehicle has its prescribed services by their agents. They knock the socks off you for service and spares.
    In the case of Festool, they make excellent gear, so how many drills are they going to sell you or repeats of any other machine you have bought from them? If they had to rely on the sale of new units only, they would go broke very soon and in the process their prices will rise even more. ( The guy that makes rubbish can sell it cheaply because it packs up and he gets repeat sales ).The manufacturers make their products to use accessories which only fit their unit and is difficult to get from generic suppliers.....not because the x number of holes work any better than the y number, but because to use their unit you have to buy the x type of consumable because its the one that fits.

Finally: Our market is relatively small compared to the USA and some other countries in Europe or Asia, therefor our import quantities are small and by guys like you buying from the USA you are not helping the numbers. I quote you1) I will continue to purchase accessories overseas until the local price equalises.
    (2) Consumables are a different matter. Happy to order dustbags, sanding discs and other similar stuff from the US.

You are definately not making it easier for Mr Festool Australia or any other supplier to give you a better price by going overseas. In fact mate in the end you are shooting yourself in the foot....................if the supplier decides to close shop in Australia, you'll be the person that suffers because you have this fantastic gear and no consumables, you know like when you run out, so you can run up to your local at 12-55 am on a Saturday to get what you expect him to keep in stock, oh and at a cheap price just for incase you need it. Otherwise you boycott him by bying from the USA. Get a life mate!

Think outside your little world.........look accross the horison at the future not the immediate buck in your pocket.

I hope they never send you the wrong item........the Yanks are also human and make mistakes..............return postage could cost a bit!

Enjoy the weekend guys & girls.

Quote Originally Posted by gatiep
    Monoman,
    Get a life mate![/u]
    What? So I can publicly insult people on an internet forum, like you have. If that's your idea of a "life", you can have it all to yourself - Enjoy!

Think outside your little world.........look accross the horison at the future not the immediate buck in your pocket.

Oh no! More insults.

Do not presume to know anything about me, or make judgements about my motives.

All the members of the forums gain from listening to all sides of an issue, in the end the choice is up to the individual.
    Joe didn't try to insult you he merely put a valid argument forward that you dislike.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by echnidna
    All the members of the forums gain from listening to all sides of an issue, in the end the choice is up to the individual.
    Joe didn't try to insult you he merely put a valid argument forward that you dislike.
    So, "Get a life" is a valid argument, is it? I don't think so, and I don't believe any reasonable person would consider it such.

What about "think outside your little world"? Could you please point out where the valid argument is in either of these two statements?

I have not addressed any of the "valid arguments" Joe raised at this point, and therefore not expressed any "dislike" for his arguments. Only my dislike for his personal remarks.

...take the automotive industry for example. They make very little on a new car, that is the reason for giving you 36 months warranty provided the vehicle has its prescribed services by their agents.
    The warranty stands regardless of where you have your car serviced, provided it is per the book.

It costs to freight to the US as well as Australia. The freight component alone does not justify the price difference.
    Gordon

I suspect that a large amount of the seemingly disproportionate prices between Oz and USA is due to the various Oz governments hidden taxes and charges on Oz businesses.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Monoman

I am sorry that my somewhat toungue in cheek remarks insulted you. I can asure you it was not my intention.
    The fact of the matter is the points about whats happening out there in the business world is a true reflection wether we like it or not.Spending our buck overseas is just making it worse. I repeat what I have said before on this kind of subject. We all want the best price we can when we buy the cheapest and when we sell the most. It is part of human nature. Importers, suppliers and buyers are all human. It is a bit more of a disadvantage to importers though when their purchase price and posibly import taxes and duties are higher than the USA. They cannot import in small batches to avoid GST etc like a private individual can as it would not be viable.
    OK I'm off my soap box now and on the way to do some woodturning.

My apologies again

Cya

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast