Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Vale Nell

Default Vale Nell

I was going to put this in "Nothing to do with woodwork" ...but it has everything to do with woodwork..Nell was always in the shed, right under foot in amongst the sawdust...and it hurts like hell.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Very sorry for your loss Ian.

Michael

I_wanna_Shed is offline Now I've got a 10x14m shed! I need a new name...

Bummer Ian. They truly are Man's best mate.

My dog goes psycho when she hears one of two phrases: "do you want to go for a walk" or "going to the shed". She even knows the sound of the shed key being picked up and runs to the back door and races me to the shed.

Like you say, sheds and dogs go together. I feel your pain.

Nathan.

Sad loss Ian.....dogs and sheds go together

what if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about?

Default Loss

I lost one of mine to a red-belly black in October. She was the youngest dog of my small pack. I know how much and where it hurts.

Sorry to hear about your loss Ian. Pets certainly become part of the family and you need time to reflect on your loss. Certainly is hard times.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Just lost my old girl Jaff last week, know what you mean.

Very sorry for you mate. She was beautiful. Have 3 collies and couldn't be without them.They are lovely companions, with such distinct personalities.

Rackon Nell can't be replaced, but perhaps a young pup may be inducted to the shed? Keep the tradition on?

Si

Thank you all for your kind words.

Nell was 12.5 and cancer was her nemisis but, as I understand it, BC's are good for 12-14 years so I guess "if the skeeters don't get 'em the gators will" - very sad though to have to make the decision, even though for the past month we suspected something was not right.

Every dog is a different and our other BC, Toby, is a real sook. He can't stand the noise of machinery and he will come into the shed, but the minute I start up anything he leaves.

It will be interesting to see what, if any, of his behaviours change now he is the only dog.

Thank you again

Ian

Sad indeed when a good friend passes on. My sympathies to you Ian.

Default Vale Nell - a postscript

Thanks for all your kind words folks - still hurts a lot

We have a few trees in our yard and the black wattles only last around 10 years and so when I was removing one about 2 years ago I thought to check if there was any good wood in the trunk. It looked OK so I cut a couple of lengths and threw them under my work bench.

With Nell's passing it occurred to us that it would be nice if I could knock up a box out of those logs to put her ashes in. I had done this once before (made a box from timber out of the yard , I mean) but that's another story.

Anyway, on checking the logs they seemed to be fairly clear of splits so here's the pictures.
    There are two boxes because my eldest son wanted some of Nell for his place.

Just need a few finishing touches like a small plaque and maybe another polish - bees wax BTW

I love the colour, almost a 3D effect in sunlight, but it's a swine to work with - very hard and brittle - break-out was a constant problem.

Maybe this might give others a similar idea for their favorite pet. We thought it most appropriate since we've always been here and Nell enjoyed her romps

Ian

Beautiful boxes befitting a mans best friend.