Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Default Blue Gum Slab Desk

The bench is done, time to put it to use.
    First project will be a Blue Gum slab desk with a natural edge. As this is primarily a computer desk I am thinking a fairly heavy M&T frame, like a dining table, with a cupboard or open shelf to house the PC on one side. I will attempt to have the top stretcher (correct term?) follow the natural contour of the slab with shallow drawers cut into the stretcher. I may also abandon that idea entirely and just have a straight face on the stretcher.
    I plan to cut the back off the slab and mount it above the desk top as a monitor shelf also leaving the natural edge. I probably won't have enough width in the slab so the natural edge I cut off will be joined to other stock. I should be able to find something similar in colour.
    I manhandled the slab onto the bench today to start cleaning it up and begin the flattening process. (Pics 1 & 2)
    I did have a bit of help from MiniArcher (or the midget apprentice as Claw Hamma calls her). (Pics 3 & 4)
    I was making slow progress on flattening the underside so i reground an old blade for the No. 5 and turned it into a scrub plane. It worked really well and progressed much quicker after that. (Pic 5)
    Still have a bit of work to do before I flip it over and start on the top but was pretty happy with the work I got done today. (Pic 6)
    I am feeling it in the arms and shoulders though. Worked up a good sweat with all that hand planing
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    https://autoblastgates.com.au

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Some serious planing going on there, just as well you had someone to help. The design sounds good, looking forward to seeing it progress.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Solid piece of timber there. Watching with much interest.
    Bob

"If a man is after money, he's money mad; if he keeps it, he's a capitalist; if he spends it, he's a playboy; if he doesn't get it, he's a never-do-well; if he doesn't try to get it, he lacks ambition. If he gets it without working for it; he's a parasite; and if he accumulates it after a life time of hard work, people call him a fool who never got anything out of life."
    - Vic Oliver

That's a nice piece of wood.....would be a waste on me for a computer desk, I never get to see the top of it!!!

Nice workout with the planes on that slab!

Where'd you get the auto-vac bot? Do they come in colours other than pink?

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
    Where'd you get the auto-vac bot? Do they come in colours other than pink?
    I acquired that one nearly 3 yrs ago. Expensive things and that model is very hard to get in anything except pink. Because apparently all other colours are "yucky"

What is it with kids and shavings/sawdust? I used to have to save mine for the son to play with/in.

Nice big bit of wood there NC - what is the figure like now you've done a bit of planing?

and it's good to see the bench getting used!

Oh and I see that Claw hasn't made you that vice handle yet
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Monitors don't need a great deal of depth in the shelf these days. The base is the biggest bit. My own 19" LCD has a base of only 175mm front to back.
    Given that you are going to have a natural edge on this desk, you should give some thought to maybe an end-for-end flip on the monitor shelf that will be ripped off the back edge.
    Just to throw a nice touch of eccentricity into the piece. Watch the bevel-up or down thing too.
    Then again, what do I know? I'm brand new to all this WW stuff.

Tom
    Little by little the night turns around

Nick, the slab has some nice figure. I've only ever seen the grey coating of grime and oxidation. I hope the top is as good as the underside. I haven't given Claw a piece of timber to turn down for me yet. I'll get in there soon.
    Tom, my monitors have roughly the same footprint. I run two 19 inch. I'll have a play with the shelf and see what looks best. Will probably be a case of best grain on top.

Interesting project there Archer.
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

Good project but I would pick an easier timber to flatten with a plane.
    I expect you will get plenty of sharpening practice too.

I love the workbench too.
    Scally

Scally, I have M2 blades for most of my planes. Hopefully I won't have to sharpen too often. Planing is not a problem but tearout is atm. I will get it as good as I can then finish with a card scraper I think. I got a bit more time out in the shed this afternoon.
    Have nearly finished flattening the underside. Still needs a bit of work to get it completely flat and smooth but I flipped the slab and started on the top. It's not quite as curvy as the other side but will need a bit of work.
    There is some nice figure showing on the underneath so hopefully the top will be interesting.
    All that planing makes a big pile of shavings. Didn't feel any lighter when I flipped it though.

Quote Originally Posted by NCArcher View Post
    . Didn't feel any lighter when I flipped it though.

I hear you, i've hurt my back twice moving mine around and my nearest mate no longer answers my calls on a weekend as it's usually "if you've got a minute, can you pop round and help me flip my slab......"

Wow Tony, thats the first time I've seen one of these Nancy Boy benches actualy being used, very impresive. Nice looking slab too. Glad to see you have Miss Midget on the job, teaching her to clean at such an early age is a great party trick but it will only last another 6months at best and then she'll give you your marching orders. All looks great Tony.
    Instagram: mark_aylward
    www.solidwoodfurniture.com.au

A good edge takes a little sweat!!

Quote Originally Posted by Claw Hama View Post
    Wow Tony, thats the first time I've seen one of these Nancy Boy benches actualy being used, very impresive. ...
    Nancy boy benches, hah
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast