Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

When you bring the surplus wood to my place can you bring the nail gun up as well
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust Maker View Post
    When you bring the surplus wood to my place can you bring the nail gun up as well
    Just that one or the other two as well?

Peter.

Peter you have been busy since I last stuck my head over the fence even with the heckling from the sawdustcreator who you'd think would be inspired and get on with his bench WiP. so he would have room for the spare wood.

This storage area has given me 17 metres of shelf space of various depths and height, but unfortunately it's not enough as it's already quite full as per photos below. They are taken from L to R. It has taken all the accumulated wood from the workshop and garden shed.

I can now get at the garden tools and have no excuse not to mow the nature strip.

So I'll have to get onto the next stage of the project so that I can start sorting out the garage and not fall over all the stacked timber in there.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post
    Peter you have been busy since I last stuck my head over the fence even with the heckling from the sawdustcreator who you'd think would be inspired and get on with his bench WiP. so he would have room for the spare wood.
    You'd think that he would get on with it, but I suppose he hasn't got a nailgun.

Peter.

Default Storage area No 2.

Storage area no 2 was originally the actual chook shed of the integrated group of buildings, whereas Storage No 1 was the food store, prep area and housed the egg collection box.

This shed measures approx 1400 * 2100 8 1800 mm high at the front and sloping slightly to the back.

This shed will be lined with the doors I collected so I will loose approx 75mm all round, which will still give good storage.

The plan is to build fixed shelves along the two side walls, one will be deeper than the other, and install another freestanding bookcase, also from my favourite kerbside store , against the back wall.

The two window openings/air vents will be closed of with some ply and painted to match and the big opening in the door will be closed of with slats similar to the other door.

Here are some photos before I start. Photo 1 is the Left wall, No 2 is the back wall, No 3 is the right wall, and photos 4 & 5 is the inside of the front wall.

Peter.

Today I bolted pine framing rails to all the walls, so that the door panels can be nailed on. I also fixed the prewiring for the light in this store and pulled the line through for the next one.

I also cut and laid out the treated pine for the base of the doors and the bottom shelves, so that they will not be in contact with the lilydale toppings.

The big gaps in the left wall and the back wall will be covered with the door panelling, so no extra work is now required before the actual construction starts.

Some photos to show the work so far.

Peter.

It was a lovely day outside so this morning I first did some gardening in the backyard and after lunch I collected some more MDF sheets from Springwater. Thanks Craig, much appreciated.

But after I got home I couldn't resist doing some work on the shed storage project.

Sp I started on the wall covering, cut four doors to size and nailed them into position. Already it's starting to look better. as half the shed is done.

The left wall, with the big hole where the egg laying boxes were, is now covered as well as the inside of the front wall. As with all old garden sheds nothing is square or straight so in the corners there will be gaps.

Not a problem as these gaps in the corners will be covered by the shelving supports and be hidden from view.

Some photos attached to show progress.

Peter.

Another mainly fine day and more progress.

Decided that it would be easier to bolt the top and bottom rails straight onto the tin walls whilst still uncovered, rather than use coach screws into the other battens at a later stage. So that was done first.

I then cut and nailed the doors onto the other two sides. Photos 1 & 2 show the back wall and photo 3 shows the side wall. It is now starting to look like a storage area as all the crappy tin and holes therein are now covered.

Made and laid down the bottom base shelves on both the left side (photo 4) and the right side (photo 5). You now start to get an idea of what the shed will look like.

Will start on the shelving next.

Peter.

Can't say I'm happy with that ...
    Didn't your mum say never to wear creams with whites
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

just pokin my head over the fence Peter see how its coming along Oh pre-painted panels nice. still no wood in there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust Maker View Post
    Can't say I'm happy with that ...
    Didn't your mum say never to wear creams with whites
    Neither am I, I wish people wouldn't paint their doors cream before disposing of them.

White is my preferred colour but sometimes you have to take what is there.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post
    still no wood in there yet.

That will come Ray when the shelving starts.

Peter.

Default Building Shelves.

Been building the side shelves for the last few days.

As the sheds were originally planned to be just a chooks shed, they were placed on the sloping ground without trying to make them level. It didn't look out of place and it was a lot less work at the time.

The chooks didn't mind but now it has been causing some difficulties as I want the shelves level and not following the original countour of the land.

So each shelf has to be measured separately and built, before doing the one on top. Bit of a pain in the proverbial as the number of walks to and from the workshop to the end of the garden has increased.

Measure in the shed, then go back and cut materials in the shop and back again, etc. So the top of the left side is narrower than at the bottom and on the other side the opposite.

So here are the photos, the first is the left hand side and the other the other side.

Peter.

Default The back wall.

Early this year as part of the collection for my daughter's workshop I picked up a bookcase made by IKEA. It was a solidly built unit and was thrown out to the hard rubbish.

We used it for storage, but not in that workshop, for a while and is no longer needed for that so it is finding a new home in this storage shed.

It will be built against the back wall between the side shelving units. It's 700mm * 300mm and 1600mm high. A goodly size and all it needs is the shelving supported rather than rely on a few shelf supports.

Photo 1 shows it and photo 2 in its location ready for nailing in position and strengthening the shelves support.

Hopefully I'll finish this part of the wood store next week.

Peter.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast