Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Default WIP - Sturdee's wood storage shed.

Like most of us, I do not have enough room to properly store the wood Michelle and I collect as the workshop is not big enough. So I have had to store stuff in the garage, in the garden shed, the covered BBQ area, on the floor of the workshop and even some in the laundry.

With the demise of the last of our chooks I've decided to convert the chook house together with the covered and enclosed run into a proper wood storage shed.

As there was great interest in the last shed conversion I did earlier this year I suppose a WIP would be interesting as again I will try to use only recycled materials for this project.

Whilst this project is getting urgent, in order to make space in the workshop, I will be doing this project in between others so completion will take a few months.

Peter.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default The existing structure.

The chook shed , including run and attached food prep/storage area, is 8.5 metres long and half is 2.4 metres wide and the rest is 1.8 meters. It is totally covered and built against the side fence (no neighbours as it abuts the side road) in my backyard.

Already in the food prep/storage area I have removed the bench and replaced it with shelving along one wall. Power is connected to this part so I will extend it it to give light in the back parts.

Photos 1 & 2 is the outside view of the shed.

Photo 3 is a close up of the original food prep/storage are with the egg collecting box at right which I will call shed no 1.

Photo 4 is the outside of the actual chook shed now to be shed no 2.

Photo 5 is the outside view of the enclosed run now to be shed no 3.

Photos 6 - 8 are the inside views of shed no 3. Rather grotty at this stage but a few doors here and there and shelving will make this a great storage area.

Peter.

Default Shed no 1.

This part will be the first, as part is already done and has been in use for a while.

It will have shelving in a U shape along both side walls and the back. Photo 1 shows what I've previously done and photo 2 is where I will start next.

Peter.

Default Collecting materials.

Those who have watched my previous shed conversion will remember that I like to use doors, doors and even more doors as wall and ceiling material together with shelving material discarded and thrown out in the regular hard rubbish collection by the local councils.

As it is again the season for hard rubbish (they do it twice a year around here ) so over the weekend I went looking for materials. The result of a day's collecting is shown in the photos below. Enough doors, framing timber and melamine shelving to finish shed no 1.

As always comments, questions and advice as I go along is welcome.

Peter.

I'll grab front row seat. Any one who needs to get rid of old bookshelves and lives near Pete . . .
    Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

Looking on with interest! I am constantly being berated for taking over the wife's garden shed with wood, or under the verandah.

It must be fun playing darts outside in the breeze?
    The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
    Albert Einstein

shove over Pat

Peter your not using enough wood building to many sheds

Peter, your neighbourhood must have a thing about changing doors. Can't remember ever seeing doors around our streets when we lived in Sydney. This project looks it was made for an old chook house.
    Bob

"If a man is after money, he's money mad; if he keeps it, he's a capitalist; if he spends it, he's a playboy; if he doesn't get it, he's a never-do-well; if he doesn't try to get it, he lacks ambition. If he gets it without working for it; he's a parasite; and if he accumulates it after a life time of hard work, people call him a fool who never got anything out of life."
    - Vic Oliver

Amazing. I am watching another shed rebuild.

Couple of months or several more no matter will be watching.

Will also watch the next shed rebuild for your friend, your cousin, your aunty, the person down the road that just met yesterday and so the story goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee View Post
    Those who have watched my previous shed conversion will remember that I like to use doors, doors and even more doors as wall and ceiling material together with shelving material discarded and thrown out in the regular hard rubbish collection by the local councils.

As it is again the season for hard rubbish (they do it twice a year around here ) so over the weekend I went looking for materials. The result of a day's collecting is shown in the photos below. Enough doors, framing timber and melamine shelving to finish shed no 1.

As always comments, questions and advice as I go along is welcome.

Peter.
    Would that our council had periodic "footpath" collections. Always one man's/woman's trash is another's treasure. Notwithstanding, there is a veritable treasure trove (at times) of non-returnable pallets and packing frames/cases of all shapes and sizes to keep me happy, and to drive herself around the bend.

Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by BobR View Post
    Peter, your neighbourhood must have a thing about changing doors. Can't remember ever seeing doors around our streets when we lived in Sydney. This project looks it was made for an old chook house.
    In the same collection run I left another 8 doors as they didn't look nice enough or were the wrong colour.

Actually doors are very common. Most people that renovate older houses go for the polished floor look and take up the carpet to expose the lovely timber floor previously hidden. Problem is that there is then quite a large gap so they replace the doors rather than fix them. Hence my gain.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by wun4us View Post
    Would that our council had periodic "footpath" collections.

I live close to three council areas that have hard rubbish collections and they have them twice a year so materials for a project like this is readily available.

Peter.

Ok Peter, we know how liters per 100ks a car gets but what I want to know is how many doors per kilometer you get.

Pat, Wheelin move over I'm back.

Beaudy - another shed makeover. Gawd, Pat and Ray have spread themselves over all the front row. I'll sit in the second row again. Stop fidgeting, Pat! can't see around you when you do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee View Post
    In the same collection run I left another 8 doors as they didn't look nice enough or were the wrong colour.

Peter.

Are we getting picky for a wood storage shed?
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast