Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Romaxx - Which options would you chose?

Well I'm back back considering a Romaxx machine again, probably a HS1 but maybe even the WD1.

So, which options here Products are "essential", "nice to have", and "only if I can afford it".

Oh, and optionally, which Vectric software would you get to go with it?

Thanks. Russell.
    Pen Affair Craft Supplies - Cheapest Pearl Ex & Pemo Polymer Clay in Australia
    http://craftsupplies.penaffair.com

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

G'day Russell,

I've got the HS1 and have had it for about 7 or 8 months. I bought it 2nd hand so I missed paying import duty etc .

Mine has:
    MPG - I've never used it - I find it easy to jog using my laptop keyboard.
    Mach3 software - Must have
    External input buttons - never used them
    Ryobi spindle - available at Bunnings for around $95
    Ryobi spindle bracket - only buy if you are definitely going to buy the Ryobi - otherwise tell Ron at Romaxx what spindle you intend to use and have him supply a suitable bracket. Think about buying 2 brackets to increase stability.

The cast aluminium plate would be nice but it's quite expensive. I just use MDF and take a fine cut over the surface to true it up. I simply screw into the top to clamp things onto it.

Closed loop system - probably would have prevented me ruining a few bits of timber but I don't think it's necessary for what I do. The more experienced blokes may advise you otherwise.

I use V-Carve. Would love to have Aspire but it's just too expensive. I don't know about any other software.

Oh, and mine has smoothstepper. I think it just allows a USB cable to connect the pc to the machine. I don't know if there are any other benefits of smoothstepper.

I've built an enclosure around mine and attached a 100mm dusty line to the back of the cabinet. I cut some holes in the front to allow air to enter. The cross flow of air is sufficient to clear most of the dust. Also keeps the noise down.

I've also fitted a speed control unit which I bought from Jaycar for around $40. The Ryobi trim routers spin at about 22k rpm. I slow it down to I guess around 15k rpm - much quieter and still cuts really well.

Attached is an example of what I've been doing lately on my machine.

Hope this helps,

Kev

Thanks Kev, and nice piece of work there - well done.

That's about what I thought, although I assumed the aluminum table was quite important, but reading some other threads too, people seem to cope OK just with MDF tops. I guess you could go through a lot of MDF tops before you coved the cost of the Al table. The concern I assume is making sure you have a true & level base so the CNC is measuring it's offsets correctly.

I'm torn on the software between either just Aspi, or the Vcarve/Cut3D/PhotoVCarve combo. I'd like to try vCarve photos, but seems people who tried have lots of problems getting a nice image, and Cut3D I'd like the option of 4-face machining as I have things like chess sets in mind. I know you can do a lot with the face split feature in Aspire, but I bet I'd run up against the limitation sooner rather than later. The trouble is if I got the package route and not Aspire, then I need something to do the modeling in. I could hopefully get Rhino cheaper, but even though I've asked, it's hard to find out exactly what Aspire does that the others may not.

Thanks for the comments.
    Russell.
    Pen Affair Craft Supplies - Cheapest Pearl Ex & Pemo Polymer Clay in Australia
    http://craftsupplies.penaffair.com