Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Oregon for work bench base frame ??

Just a quick question for the panel.
    I am planning to build a decent work bench in the near future, or start to build, would be more appropriate.
    The basic design will be a roubo style with leg vices and sliding deadman with removable leg vise chop. Along with a veritas or some type of twin screw vice as an end.
    All the joinery for the base will be M&T, either draw bored or wedged Tennon.
    I am in the timber gathering phase and have access to some 200x 125 oregon, which i will mill to the largest possible square section.
    Do you think this would be suitable for the base of my bench? I intend to be using some hard wood for the top which would be around the 100 mm mark, thick. Not sure which timber would be best suited for the top though. Suggestions welcome!!
    Thanks
    Skippy
    P.S. thanks to everyone who puts thier work in the WIP spotlight. I have learnt heaps

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi

I used recycled Oregon for most of my bench - including the

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f213/r...59/#post976154

After two years I have no regrets and it is certainly heavy enough.

Andrew

Do you find the top dings easily? I ask because i am a bit wayward with the hammer every now and then LOL

Hi

I use a wooden mallet with a big head rather than a hammer. Also I try not to do steel work on the bench as residual iron filings can leave nasty black stains on wood. And I rarely use nails.

So in answer, a hammer will ding the bench. But I have not found it a problem.

Andrew

Alastair built his bench using Oregon timber for a base here
    And it is as solid as!
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Thanks sawdust
    That base look pretty solid alright. I like the idea of the oregon for a couple of reasons.
    It is supposed to be lineally quite strong
    it should be easier on the chisels etc to work than hard wood.

Negatives that i can see is that it wont be as heavy as the hard woods. However, given the end dimensions are going to be around 100 x 100 i dont think it will be a light weight either.
    I am a bit concerned about splitting while draw boring
    Skippy

I wish I could give you the oregon posts in my carport to use. They're taking up space! I collected them long after I started my own bench, otherwise I would probably have used them.

I wish i was able to get em. Only as a kind gesture to help clear your carport you understand..

Oregon works for me. Top gets a few marks but it's only a workbench after all
    you can see my bench in the link below if you dig a bit, but I think you already saw it

In the US, we have a State named Oregon, and they have a lot of wood there, but I've never heard of a wood named Oregon. Is it a common name for something else?

Quote Originally Posted by ed_h View Post
    In the US, we have a State named Oregon, and they have a lot of wood there, but I've never heard of a wood named Oregon. Is it a common name for something else?
    Douglas Fir...

Right, makes sense. Lot of Fir in Oregon. Thanks.

Well it seems the Oregon will be fine for the base. Any suggections for the top?
    It will be hard wood i have a mill down the road who kiln dry timber as well. I am also happy to use recycled stuff as well, its just that having the mill down the road, if i can use new, i will. I will be flattening the Top by hand plane !!!

Sorry
    Pffffssstttt. Thanks for playing.
    I am a retired PhD dendrologist. "Oregon" is a bastard term for Pinus radiata which was shipped in a massive seed exchange for Eucalyptus sp., back in the 1920's or 1930's.
    The common but useless name was Monterey Pine. (did I spell that right?)

It is plain old 'pine' wood to us north of the equator. Douglas-fir, (Pseudotsuga menziesii) it sure as dang is not. You should be happy. Doug-fir is a terrible timber for splits and brash shattering. Nightmare to paint for the spiral thickening in the S2 layer of the cell walls. Unless you have some death wish, stay away from that stuff.

Properly dried, "oregon" will do fine for benches. I do stone-cut printing. I have MASSIVE benches for polishing one stone slab against another with fine sand/abrasive & water.
    Just as soon as I can score an old telegraph pole, I will replace the bench legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Robson Valley View Post
    Sorry
    Pffffssstttt. Thanks for playing.
    I am a retired PhD dendrologist. "Oregon" is a bastard term for Pinus radiata which was shipped in a massive seed exchange for Eucalyptus sp., back in the 1920's or 1930's.
    The common but useless name was Monterey Pine. (did I spell that right?)

It is plain old 'pine' wood to us north of the equator. Douglas-fir, (Pseudotsuga menziesii) it sure as dang is not. You should be happy. Doug-fir is a terrible timber for splits and brash shattering. Nightmare to paint for the spiral thickening in the S2 layer of the cell walls. Unless you have some death wish, stay away from that stuff.

Properly dried, "oregon" will do fine for benches. I do stone-cut printing. I have MASSIVE benches for polishing one stone slab against another with fine sand/abrasive & water.
    Just as soon as I can score an old telegraph pole, I will replace the bench legs.
    It is the problem with common names. In Australia we have long referred to Douglas Fir as Oregon pine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast