Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Reason for making toys

Hi

Have recently had the opportunity to make a train for a 5 year old boy. I used an example that I found on the forum.

The reason behind making the train was that the wife of a colleague of mine passed away a couple of weeks after a long battle with cancer. What made it was was the her son turned 5 9 days after she passed away. As all little boys love trains I thought that I would make him one and give it to him on his birthday as a present from my boys - almost 6 and 4. The train is made from meranti, pine and dowel. Personally I think could have been better but was quite rushed - I had 3 days from start to when I flew to Brisbane.

I gave the train to a friend who was going to see the little boy and was told that he loved it.

I got an email from his father who told me that his son expressed surprise that "one of daddy's mate's made the train in his house". From what I can tell, the little boy had never had a toy made for him. I think that is so sad, for me that is the reason to make toys. They might not look as flash as toys that you buy at a shop, but they have an appeal that you can't get out of mass produced goods.

That is why we make toys - to get a smile from the little ones. A couple of photos attached.

Todd

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Brett

Only Robinson Crusoe could get everything done by Friday!

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Well done Todd....
    Cheers, crowie

top stuff

Oh I understand you!!!! I know a 6 year old kid who has everything and every toy you could dream of,
    as you can understand his dad also has real toy.. brand new privet busyness jet.
    His favorite toy is a simple wooden truck a half-hour work project that made
    while the kid stand Behind me when I sawed and drill..
    Here he felt the giving much more than the gifts it receives each time his father shiny plane lands.....

What a fabulous little unit. That truck is very special.

Maybe, if you have the time you could show us the details of how you made it. We are all very pleased you have decided to join our World Conference. We are getting members from all over the world.

It seems that no matter how far you roam Toy making is universal.

Pete

as I work without plans - in a few days I will make one more same truck and will take a short video of the "production" will upload here
    Thanks!

These toys bring a lot of joy to children and to see the look on some of their faces is the greatest inspiration anyone could ask for.Well done Todd and well done Srulik
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Quote Originally Posted by STAR View Post
    What a fabulous little unit. That truck is very special.

Maybe, if you have the time you could show us the details of how you made it. We are all very pleased you have decided to join our World Conference. We are getting members from all over the world.

It seems that no matter how far you roam Toy making is universal.

Pete
    I DESIDE TO PUT THE INSTRUCTIONS HERE: גלגול:
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f174/w...inutes-138772/

THANKS!

Yonnee is offline Trailer Bloke & Mild Mannered Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by toddbron View Post
    Hi

Have recently had the opportunity to make a train for a 5 year old boy. I used an example that I found on the forum.

The reason behind making the train was that the wife of a colleague of mine passed away a couple of weeks after a long battle with cancer. What made it was was the her son turned 5 9 days after she passed away. As all little boys love trains I thought that I would make him one and give it to him on his birthday as a present from my boys - almost 6 and 4. The train is made from meranti, pine and dowel. Personally I think could have been better but was quite rushed - I had 3 days from start to when I flew to Brisbane.

I gave the train to a friend who was going to see the little boy and was told that he loved it.

I got an email from his father who told me that his son expressed surprise that "one of daddy's mate's made the train in his house". From what I can tell, the little boy had never had a toy made for him. I think that is so sad, for me that is the reason to make toys. They might not look as flash as toys that you buy at a shop, but they have an appeal that you can't get out of mass produced goods.

That is why we make toys - to get a smile from the little ones. A couple of photos attached.

Todd
    What a great story and a fantastic result.

Thanks for sharing.
    Too many projects, so little time, even less money!
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds! Doing work around the home? Wander over to our sister site, Renovate Forum, for all your renovation queries.

Thumbs up

Gotta give you blokes a thumbs up!! Great stories.

Two of my grandsons are spoiled rotten by the mother's parents. made one a spinning top and the other an aeroplane. Both were asked for and both are much appreciated.

Now they are waiting on helicopters that I will give them when they come for th next school holidays.

Reason for making toys ......

For me it can also be summed up by a train funnily enough.

The inspiration for this train that I made is a model train set made in 1946 by my grandfather.

Following the death of my father and subsequent sale of the family home, I rediscovered the wooden train set from my childhood.

The train set was subsequently discovered by each of my three nephews and – despite a plethora of modern alternatives – became their favourite toy when visiting our house.

Picking up the engine one day I discovered on the underside the inscription “made by Dad for Graham 1946” and the subsequent inscription “repaired by Grandpa for Michael 1979” and realized that the train set had survived over 60 years and was now being enjoyed by a third generation.

I now have to decide if I pass it onto my children!

Cheers

Stinky.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Wooden toys for kids are surely the way to go!
    Easy to make, easy to repair, hours of fun!
    And yes they can last for years & years.
    Keep up the good work, one & all.
    Cheers, crowie