Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Les Paul

Well Bob , It's your vision for the guitar, but for me I would perhaps go for plain sassafras rather than blackheart to emphase the front of the guitar rather than compete with it.
    I would also get a full 45mm thickness for the back rather than adding a thicker top. To me joints in the middle of the body thickness look funny.
    As far as pickups, I guess look at what your favourite slide guitarists play.
    I am a fan of p90 pickups rather than humbuckers myself.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default les Paul

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhigh View Post
    Well Bob , It's your vision for the guitar, but for me I would perhaps go for plain sassafras rather than blackheart to emphase the front of the guitar rather than compete with it.
    I would also get a full 45mm thickness for the back rather than adding a thicker top. To me joints in the middle of the body thickness look funny.
    As far as pickups, I guess look at what your favourite slide guitarists play.
    I am a fan of p90 pickups rather than humbuckers myself.
    Bugger do you really think a join in the centre would look strange.? as for using the blackhearted sassafras' I wanted to showcase both timbers why should only the front of a guitar look mind blowing its time I started using some of my timber stash for myself instead of selling it all and I reckon it would be nice to flash the other side of the guitar rather than what I flashed when I was younger.
    As for pickups sounds like p90 are the go your choice plus Luxemburg choice.
    I will call Mike at Brierley pickups and see what he reckons' it will be great to have 100% Australian woods plus pickups but the guitar will be built by a French man but thats Ok at least its not made in China.
    Cheers Bob

Here are a couple of early guitars I did, the gold one is only 40mm thick

Default Les Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Bigriver View Post
    Here are a couple of early guitars I did, the gold one is only 40mm thick
    Nice how thick is the top on the gold one.

Bob,

If you had a thicker piece of Black heart Sass it might be a bit better but I still think it should look good.

40mm and 20mm would be better with bindings that go down right down to the back piece so you cant see the join. Blackwood makes awesome bindings so if you have an awesome back sawn piece of blackwood that would be handy.

All ausie guitar should be great. I have one, not only looks great but sounds great too

Quote Originally Posted by woodturner777 View Post
    Nice how thick is the top on the gold one.
    The body is just one piece of mahogany, it is not a true "carve top" it just has the edge routered and a black binding fitted. I guess it depends whether you just want a Les Paul style or if it has to be just like a Standard, Custom etc. Wasn't the Les Paul Supreme a pancake body? Beautiful geetar.

Default les Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Bigriver View Post
    The body is just one piece of mahogany, it is not a true "carve top" it just has the edge routered and a black binding fitted. I guess it depends whether you just want a Les Paul style or if it has to be just like a Standard, Custom etc. Wasn't the Les Paul Supreme a pancake body? Beautiful geetar.
    yes they were pancake body in the 70's.
    Now there is an idea would this work.? comments most welcome.
    I have some Huon Pine that I salvaged out of the river at the junction of the Picton and Huon rivers in early 70's would this work as a centre core so I can cut down on the thickness of the blackwood top. or is this an idea not worth thinking about.?

Well you could just put a 6mm cap of feature wood on the back too with 35-40mm of body wood then the top..
    Basically it's a matter of what pleases your eye..

Default Les Paul

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhigh View Post
    Well you could just put a 6mm cap of feature wood on the back too with 35-40mm of body wood then the top..
    Basically it's a matter of what pleases your eye..
    that will not work jeff as I would have used the 15mm thickness musk on the back read early post where I was told by the luthier thin wood on the back would weaken the mortise regarding the back of the neck tenon.

Well I don't undestand why that would be the case, there are many examples of that type of construction.
    One advantage of using a thin backplate is that you can cut the control cavity plates out of it so you have matching covers

Default Les Paul

One advantage of using a thin backplate is that you can cut the control cavity plates out of it so you have matching covers[/QUOTE]

Very true Jeff that is a good idea, I will mention that to Roger the luthier.
    As I must admit having the musk on the back appeals to me.
    Jeff can you point me in the direction where you have seen examples of this. Cheers Bob
    Last edited by woodturner777; 7th August 2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: add comment

Perhaps he was concerned about the integrity of the burl
    Heres an example of one with a carved blackwood top and blackwood capped back
    http://www.guitargear.net.au/discuss...?topic=26792.0

I still think the burl on the front would give you the best look, I can't imagine a light coloured back with a darker front? And yes the integrity of the burl being the bottom of the tenon would be a concern too me.

Bob,
    If he is worried about the burl on the back you could just make the back cap about 2.5-3mm thick. The bindings are going to hide how thick it is anyway.

Also a deep set neck could be used (Perry Ormsby uses this on some builds I have seen) then you will have more gluing surface. I will try and find a link, found it: http://www.ormsbyguitars.com/galleri...images/121.jpg

You could also do a neck thru and then glue the top and back caps on. Or do a neck thru with the blackwood top and use the musk or BH sass as the body wings.
    A blackwood and flame eucalypt neck looks awesome specially neck thru.

If you're going P90's try Kinman.

P90 Pickups | Kinman - P-90 Hx Pickups

His Strat pickups are widely regarded as arguably the best available, the P90's are from the same stable.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast