Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Les Paul

Default Les Paul

Hi Ben,
    Thank you for your kind offer the timber you offered is beautiful but I have decided that the tonewood in this guitar has to be 100% Tasmanian and I do have some very dense blackwood that will go well with my build' so keep it for your next build once again thanks.
    Cheers Bob.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Les Paul Exotic Tone

Well finely managed to dig out of my shed the sides to my old huon pine sterio cabinet to be put to another use, the piece on the left hand side will be resawn this week for book matching and this will be the centre core of my Les Paul build.
    Things are going slower than I would have hoped but there is not enough time with work flat out at the moment, plus planning stages of selling my house as I now have plans aproved for building a new home off the back of my shop in Pontville.
    So it looks like this will not be built in time for christmas, but hopefully not long after.
    Photo attached Huon pine slabs. Cheers Bob

Attachment 185325

Default Tasmanian Exotic Tone Les Paul.

Bit of sanding today on the top still a long way to go on this build but I will add as things progress, Cheers Bob

Attachment 188980

Attachment 188981

Attachment 188982

Good to see it's still underway Bob.

Default Les paul,

Im not sure what the dimensions of the neck on the tassie oak and blackwood neck were. It was a 35" scale thru neck. It was a copy (shape wise not wood) of Carl Thompsons 10million dollar bass. Made from Australian timber but with two pin strips of rock maple for a contrast in the neck.

Default Les Paul

Quote Originally Posted by stevemc32 View Post
    Good to see it's still underway Bob.
    Still underway Steve, but things have changed again after talking with a few of my luthier customers who told me the Les Paul would be a very heavy guitar and one of the forum members in this forum did reply early on in this thread that maybe an SG would work better, well I have now decided that I will still be using the blackwood top as planned and a centre core of the Huon Pine for contrast but now it will also have highly figured Tasmanian blackwood on the rear of the guitar, and the shape will be totally different as now the build is going to be built by Alan Cringean ac custom guitars and Bass in Scotland A.C. Guitars - Hand Crafted Basses & Guitars who is going to be sending me a few sketches to look at soon.
    Seeing that I was born in Scotland I love the idea that my guitar will be built there.
    Will you all up to date the build progress. Cheers Bob

Default Les Paul

Well at last things are under way order is leaving week after next for Scotland to Alan Cringean AC hand crafted Basss & Guitars.
    It will be Les Paul type looking shape.
    Spec sheet received this morning from Alan.
    Strings/ Scale. 6 25"
    Body core Huon Pine.
    Top highly figured Tasmanian Blackwood to be carved
    Back plate Highly figured Tasmanian blackwood with black veneer.
    Neck 5 piece laminated top and back Tasmanian highly figured blackwood.
    Centre strip huon pine - Tasmanian yellow gum - also strip of plain select grade Tasmanian blackwood. - finger board Tasmanian She Oak.
    Head plate- Highly figured Tasmanian blackwood with black veneer.
    Radius 16/20/flat. 16" Side dots. TBD.
    Bridge/ piezo Schaller 3D with riser block.
    Pre - amp. East Tone lifter plus volume.
    Set of P90's from Mick Brierley.
    9 volt standard. regarable via jack socket.
    Hipshot type A bridge.
    Hipshot ultralite tuners.
    Dunlop dual design straplocks.
    Dual action trussrod, carbon neck rods.

SIT Strings.
    Regards Bob

Default Les Paul

Les Paul, but not a Les Paul.
    Prototype received today from Alan Cringean AC custom Basses and guitars Scotland shape of my new build.
    Regards Bob

Attachment 205722

Sound like some great specs and the timber looks beautiful. I don't visit here very often but I do hope I see this one when it's complete.

Cheers

Default Les Paul

Quote Originally Posted by demonx View Post
    Sound like some great specs and the timber looks beautiful. I don't visit here very often but I do hope I see this one when it's complete.

Cheers
    Thanks for the compliment, I will be posting photos of the build in progress.
    Just checked your facebook page some beautiful workmanship.
    Regards Bob

Latest build progress photos received from Alan a couple of days ago of the front and the back.
    regards Bob
    My AC build.3.jpgMy AC build.4..jpg

Default Le Paul

IMG_6541.jpgLatest photo received from Alan, he tells me will not be long now before i receive it.
    regards Bob

Default My latest Lester style guitars

Here are 3 of my latest builds based on Lester's, but all slightly different, All 3 are carved tops and I just finished a body in the style of an LP Supreme, carved top and bottom, heavily chambered. Maple top painted.jpgGretsch style.jpgLes Paul style bigsby.jpgCheers Paul

Default Les paul.

Please note my Les paul is a claytons Les Paul started out was going to be a les paul but forum members saided that it would be too heavy, the woods are all totally salvaged by me 100% Tasmanian tonewoods also the luthier that is building this guitar told me that he dont build copys so this is what we came up with, also Alan Cringean who is building this like me is Scottish so this is a nice extra touch to me. regards Bob.

IMG_6544.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bigriver View Post
    Here are 3 of my latest builds based on Lester's, but all slightly different, All 3 are carved tops and I just finished a body in the style of an LP Supreme, carved top and bottom, heavily chambered. Maple top painted.jpgGretsch style.jpgLes Paul style bigsby.jpgCheers Paul

Quote Originally Posted by woodturner777 View Post
    Please note my Les paul is a claytons Les Paul started out was going to be a les paul but forum members saided that it would be too heavy, the woods are all totally salvaged by me 100% Tasmanian tonewoods also the luthier that is building this guitar told me that he dont build copys so this is what we came up with, also Alan Cringean who is building this like me is Scottish so this is a nice extra touch to me. regards Bob.

IMG_6544.jpg
    100% Tasmanian Tonewoods, does that mean it will have two headstocks? Checked out his website, nothing much too inspiring on there, maybe he should consider copying other shapes, as long as the finished product doesn't sound like bag pipes all will be good

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast