Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Les Paul

Default Les Paul

What is the finished thickness of a Les Paul.
    Google search tells me about 50mm. How would a laminated Les Paul body work.
    Blackwood on the front' as for the body back I have yet to decide I do have some beautifull highly figured musk 15 mm thickness that I am thinking of using for the back or blackhearted sassafras.
    Any idea if this would work.?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Generally you are starting with a 45mm body blank with a 16mm cap on top, carved down to about 50mm total thickness at the edges.

Default Les paul,

Hi Jeff,
    This is what I would like highly figured Musk 15 mm thickness on the back of the guitar photo attached and 35 mm thickness burled type blackwood on the front carved - photo attached would this work.?

Cheers Bob

Attachment 178181

Attachment 178182

It wouldn't work for a conventional les paul. generally you aim to hide the seam between front and back with the edge binding and the total thickness to the top of the arching is about 60-61mm

Default Les paul,

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhigh View Post
    It wouldn't work for a conventional les paul. generally you aim to hide the seam between front and back with the edge binding and the total thickness to the top of the arching is about 60-61mm
    jeff, It is not a conventional Les Paul I just like the shape of the Les Paul.
    Click on the link below this is my idea let me know what you think and if this would work.
    Check out the video on this site.
    Regards Bob
    Guitar Slide: Stainless Steel Guitar Slide - The Swivel Slide

Not really sure what you mean Bob, the video features a strat?

Default Les paul,

Well back to the drawing board as I am told the 15 mm figured musk back of the guitar will weaken the mortise regarding the back of the neck tenon.
    So maybe the figured burl type blackwood top 15 mm thickness and blackhearted sassafras body blank how would this work.?

Cheers Bob

Default Les Paul

Sorry Jeff,
    I want to have the Les Paul type shape and style but use with a slide.
    I had a bad fall in 1969 like 25 metres through a roof so my right wrist is permanenly stiff that is it has steel plates and screws through it' plus I am left handed so I want to be able to use the slide with my right hand so I am trying to come up with a desigh.
    Cheers Bob

Not really sure what you mean Bob, the video features a strat?

Ok so a left handed carved top Les Paul.
    I hope you are looking at commissioning it rather than building it yourself, a les paul is one of the harder builds not good for a beginner.
    I recon a 45mm thick sassafras body with a 16mm blackwood top (bookmatched) would be great.

Default Les Paul

Ok so a left handed carved top Les Paul.
    I hope you are looking at commissioning it rather than building it yourself, a les paul is one of the harder builds not good for a beginner.
    I recon a 45mm thick sassafras body with a 16mm blackwood top (bookmatched) would be great.
    Good morning jeff, Thanks for your input I am not even going to attempt this build one of my customers in France Roger Daguet is doing the build for me in return for wood so good for both of us. As for your suggestion 45mm blackhearted sassafras body 16mm book matched blackwood top that is was on my list to think about next as the density and sound volocity of blackwood and sassafras are close enough to not make much of a difference. Regards Bob

That's a good way to do it Bob!

Bob why couldn't you use the musk as the face and blackwood as the body? Correct though about the other way around, it would weaken the deep neck pocket. I have built Les Paul "style" guitars down to 40mm thick.

I just measured a lp goldtop. jeff is correct. It is ≈50mm around the binding and ≈60 in the middle max less in most places. I would recommend asking for more carve than a les paul to reduce weigh or perhaps chambered.

For slide perhaps the SG would be better.
    Sound wise Blackwood is very mahogany like but supposed to be much cleaner not as muddy.

Default Les Paul

Well the Les paul is very popular thats for sure' more than 8,500 views in less than 48 hours.
    Now to answer questions and ask more questions' I have noted a lot of members have checked out this thread including some custom builders so please chip in with your views.
    Bigriver I will save the highly figured musk for another project or sell it I will see what happens' as for your Les Paul builds at 40mm thickness interesting any photos.?
    Luxemburg I don't like the horns on the Gibson SG I like the Les Paul shape so I will work on this idea.
    I am thinking on the rear that is the back of the guitar blackhearted sassafras book matched' I measured a billet today up at my shop that when resawn and dressed plus fine sanded should be 27mm thickness' so I will resaw the burl type blackwood for book matching at about 33mm thickness to allow for the carving. Now to work out the neck any suggestions.? laminated neck do you think.? fret board to work out maybe blackwood. Pick ups any suggestions don't forget I am going to use this as a slide guitar.
    Cheers Bob

Fair enough bob, a double cut les paul looks great as well.
    the les paul is my favourite shape as well so I can see why you want it.

Blackwood would make a nice fret board but ask your luthier about refrets, it may not be the best, perhaps stainless fret wire would be a good option.

For pickups Brierley Guitar Pickups Home Page P90s (these are sort of a cross between strat and humbuckers) should work well. Maybe B90s but I dont have any experience with them. Email mick and tell him exactly what you want and he can do it or tell him "i want this sound as well as this as well as this" and he could also do it. He is also an Aussie and makes what are regarded by many as the best pickups in the world.

Blackwood makes great necks, that would be my choice figured of course.

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast