Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Second grandfather Clock

Hi Again

And welcome to another build

to see my first click here

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f168/h...-clock-108248/

I had heaps of leftover oak and jarrah from Tafe so i decided that i would do the standard HB905 grandfather clack plan using these i still have 64 Hours left at tafe so why not. I am doing this for my dad as he purchased the mechanism for me back when i started the first clock so i am doing this to suit the same mechanism. and Im not straying from the original plans much.

here is what it looks like atm

The first pic is pretty straight forward i have just changed the plan as it puts a beading over the join of the face to the side frames and changed it to a jarrah inlay.

the second pic is just showing the ogee routing that i have done for the glass as i will be gluing the glass in place rather than using a moulding to hold the glass

the third pic is of the stock i will be using to mold the base out of which is just a 45*38 length of jarrah and a 30*38mm length of jarrah glued together wich i will run through a spindle moulder to get the look i want

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Thumbs up

Great start! I admire your workmanship!

Very nice Bob. I said that you would make more clocks! What do you plan to do with the resin marks on the side. Simply fill and sand off? Will the clock have a dark finish?

Good luck with the rest of the project. I am sure that your father will be very pleased.

Hi Bob,
    I've been following your previous post too, lovely piece of work! Your pictures here bring back memories for me, I used the same clock plan quite recently (threads on this clock forum too). Seems like you've been bitten by the bug, best of luck with making this one. Which mechanism are you going to fill it with?
    I recently moved to Dubai for work reasons, nothing here for woodworking, I had to grease and store all my equipment in Perth until I get back. (Went to the local equivalent of Bunnies in Dubai, absolutely nothing for wood, just some horrible treated radiata!). Needless to say, I miss my shed!

(Edit). Hey Bob, if I may suggest, please don't glue the glass in if you can! I was thinking the same thing when I made mine, I am so glad i didn't, I sliiped it into routed rebates and cut some strips to tack it in. Depends on the glue I suppose, but if for whatever reason the glass gets brocken...don't want that to happen! Cheers!)

Cheers
    Swifty
    Last edited by Swifty; 25th May 2010 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Add comments
    Swifty

Hi guys

with the resin marks i plan to make a feature out of them throughout the whole clock and im selecting the timber to suit, and I'm hoping it will be a nice effect.

I will be using the same mechanism for this one as well as i know all the measurements and have all the jigs ready to use. Which I think will make it an easier build.

The finish is the tricky part as this clock is for my fathers house, (He has a LOT of Oak furniture.) i will need to pich one of his draw fronts and stain the oak to the same colour the oak he has, has a honey colour to it and i dont think the colour of the jarrah will be affected by it that much.

And now to this week.

This morning i was focusing on the base and the top pediment I used the same moulding as the jarrah clock but as the plan sugests I put some oak feet on it as well so i keep the Oak,Jarrah,Oak theme running throughout the clock.

and the pediment did not get much done to it today except for machining and gluing the timber together to get the correct width so it is 300*20*1400.

and the pics for today

You can see in the second picture what i mean by the Oak,Jarrah,Oak theme.

Also i will be doing a little more this week as the place i work has slowed down to a point of me being able to attend tafe for the next few days so another post will be done tomorrow.

Enjoy

well due to a total computer malfunction i have not been able to post in here for a long time but here is a nice update as to where i am

what i have done since the last post is the following

The dial frame was made from oak and due to a screw going through the face of it i decided to veneer it in jarrah and make a feature of it for something a little different

The top pelmet was made as per the last clock i made except that i veneered 7 layers of jarrah veneer in between the pelmet and the moulding giving a jarah inlay look

the side doors and the front door frame are just made from solid oak

the two front corners of the case have been given a 9mm round using a trimmer and making the base as a stop so the rounding finishes about 60mm from the top and bottom mouldings

this is what it looks like at the moment

so all that is left to do at the moment is the front doors and the movement mount. it will be stained in golden oak i think at the moment.

and here both my clocks are for you guys to have a look at there is no glass in the oak one atm.

Any questions give us a yell and ill tell ya what i know

Thumbs up

Top marks so far Bob!!

Very nicely done.

They are both nice clocks Bob. God to see them finished.
    Your Father will love his.

oops srry moved my pics around in photobucket

Thumbs up

They both look terrific!! Congrats on the workmanship!!

well finally my dad purchased his movement and bits and pieces

here is the finished product srry bout the photo resolution but it was the best i could do

Loved the work in progress all that time ago.

Thank you for the update with the movement in place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast