Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast

WRB , what do you intend building with it ?.
    I'd love to hear from the people in Tassie , who could tell us what the situation is now.
    Regards Rob J.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

It is mostly 12" (some 6") x 2" by 16' long so I should get planking for two "Skylark" dinghies (Paul Gartside design). I am currently building a Skylark with Huon over a cellerytop keel and ribs with a cellery Transom and Jarah keel, floor timbers, deadwoods and centreboard case logs. Centreboard case and thwarts to be of King Billy - I have some but, not enough for all of the thwarts. Hopefully will pick up the rest at the Melbourne woodworking show (along with some huon "knees"). This will be a bloody expensive boat. Built in Hoop over Spotted gum with blackwood trim etc.. would sell for around 18K on a trailer. This one will be on the market for 25K and may end up overseas as many Huon boats from are being sold to the States and UK....

As for what is happening in Tassie, I may give Britons a call tommorrow....

Well WRB , all I can say is that I envy you building in such beautiful woods.
    I used to love working with wood , particularly with hand tools , but arthritis has taken that pleasure away.
    Now , I'm just happy to be able to hang on to a wooden tiller for a while , and sit on a wooden seat , in a wooden boat.
    I still appreciate good wood , even if its just the feel.
    Regards Rob J.

I have read that the Tasmanian upper house has rejected the Federal Labor Government proposal .
    I'd like to know the politics of it.
    It would be good if we heard from the politicians , or their staff again.
    Regards Rob J.

I too have chronic reumatoid arthritis. I have six monthly Mabthera infusions (Chemo therapy) which allows me to walk and sometimes take up to 12 panadien forte a day on top of oxycontin for pain (I think I must have a cast iron liver). This means that a 600 hour build can take me up to 3 times longer so, by the time I finish the current boat, my stock cellery top should be finished drying. It is a real pitty when pain stops you from doing what you love. I am also a 12 string guitar finger picker and it is starting to get into my fingers in a bad way so, I play as much and as often as possible just in case I lose the use of them....
    Never give up!!!

Well , I figure if I can use the boat I have , and keep it looking sharp , I'll be happy.
    A couple of years ago I could hardly drive , yet we were moving down to here , a 4 +hr trip each way , for maybe 20 + trips.I'm ashamed to say I took some big risks.
    I have improved a fair bit , but I've lost the strength in my hands , wrists and elbows , so I struggle getting the main up on my boat (huon seal).
    She is home here now , I'm hoping to take her down to Garry Stewart very soon , for a little work , then she is back on the water.
    If I still can't get the main up myself , I'll fit a winch , maybe even a couple of electric winches , then LOOK OUT !.
    I have a thread on Huon Seal on this forum.
    Regards Rob J.

Hi Rob,

We are certainly getting some traction in the Tassie upper house. I sat in the public gallery for the discussion (with a number of other furniture makers and crafts people)on a motion to knock the IGA on the head and it was wonderful to see all the independent and liberal members actually argue for the good of the state. The Labour side of the house was pretty limp in its reply.

I have attached the Hansard of the discussions. It is a long read but really quite interesting, particulary the make up of the verification committee.

The motion was passed and that has prompted the PM to come out threatening to withdraw any funding if it is not passed.

More to come on this.

AD
    www.denmanmarine.com.au
    Australian agent for Swallow Boats, Bruynzeel Multipanel Plywood and Barton Marine Products

Thank you Andrew , thank you.
    And I hope your Upper House members have the ticker to stare the Canberra bullies down .
    For the good of Tasmania.
    Regards Rob J.

One point I should like to make is that, imho, a good majority of this issue has been caused by Gunns and the Government constantly caving into their greed. They have put more forestry people out of work and done more damage in the past 20 years and gotten away with devestating huge tracts of the landscape and, of course this has created a massive backlash within the Greens and environmental lobyists. Before Gunns came along, apart from the Huon issue, forestry in Tassie was, for the most part, sustainable. Please correct me if I am wrong as I do not live their but, this is how I read it. Shut down Gunns and you have a proper sustainable forestry industry again.....

Rob,

go for the electric winches. If your hands and elbows are stuffed, you really want to be able to enjoy the sail, not make hard work of it for yourself. Before I got arthritis, I cut boards from slabs with a handsaw and thicknessed with planes. Now I have a band saw, jointer and thicknesser. It makes a huge difference and give me more time to enjoy the final shaping with planes and spokeshaves...

Warren

Default tasmanian boat building timber availabilty

You are to late rob j the state is already stuffed by PM bob.
    john.

Ah , loved it Andrew , loved it !.
    I would have liked to have been there !.
    Especially Mrs Rattray , talking about the bullockies .
    I know the Rattrays were very prominant in the industry , and she spoke of Rusty Richards (or was it his young brother Sandy) , people I know.
    Mate, they are so right , the IGA is obscene , and they have every right to stand up for Tasmania , and reject the Federal Government proposal.
    I'll be cheering for them !.
    GO Mrs RATTRAY ! , you little beauty !.
    Regards Rob J.

WRB , when I take HS down to Garry , I'll discuss electric winches with him .
    A pair of electric winches would be a way overkill , but it would mean I could get the main up , even if my hands were frozen up , which still happens sometimes.
    I couldn't tiller more than 5 minutes before , but at the end of last season I would have her out for 2 +hrs by myself , catching heaps of fish , and often tillering with my feet !.
    She is very light on the tiller , and tracks very well normally.
    As to the Tassie situation , I reckon that Hansard attachment is very enlightening , and I hope the upper house continues to frustate the Federal watermelons.
    Just as a little aside , when I was up in QLD last week an oldtimer told me he was a little confused.
    He said it was his understanding if something had "gone green" it was putrid , it had gone rotten , not something to aspire to !.
    I think he was right !.
    Regards Rob J.

Ah yes... Red meant isn't bad for you.
    Fuzzy green meat is...

This is where I walk away. There is a group of woodworkers down in Tassie who make a living producing furniture and other product from Tasmanian timber. The are called (I think) Woodworkers against Forestry. You need to have a chat with them to get the whole picture....