Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Read more here - Branchline Aug 16, 2011 « Forestry Tasmania

I have sat through meetings today and things look bleak. Interestingly, demand from the woodcraft sector has never been determined - rather the amount of resource has been put up as what could be sustainably provided regardless of demand.

A map overlay of the 430,000 hectares currently under moratorium and the areas designated for special timbers harvesting shows that at least 80 percent of these areas have been locked up. Advice from FT is that we are looking at a total annual harvest of only 2500 cubicmetres of logs for all of the special timbers ( excluding huon and king billy) of which 2000 cubic metres of logs are blackwood and the remaining 500 cubes is to cover celery top, sassafras, myrtle etc.

These are only log quantities and even assuming all of this was saw log quality, only 1/3 to 1/2 of this would be recovered boards and a much smaller percentage would be boat grade.

There is a total lack of understanding by those invoilved of the special nature of the craftwood industries needs - in particular boat builders. When I explain to decision makers that we need celery logs of 400 year old plus and blue gum of 250 years plus to yield good boat timber the response I generally get is "we weren't aware of that". Basically old growth forest ( now isn't that a dirty word!!) has to be logged to obtain these timbers. It can be logged sustainably but I doubt that we will see any old growth set aside for special timbers production as it will all be deemed High Conservation Value in the verification process.

Some further good info in this interview on the ABC

Forestry industry up in arms over peace deal - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

regards,

AD
    www.denmanmarine.com.au
    Australian agent for Swallow Boats, Bruynzeel Multipanel Plywood and Barton Marine Products

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I'd be very careful , with the plantations Paul.
    We looked at several properties that had been leased to MIS rorts .
    Almost invariably , the Scheme had an option of replanting trees after the current crop is taken down.
    So , we would never see cleared land again , not in my lifetime.
    The sensible option would be to do what has been done before , and that is to plant varieties that you can thin for spars etc .
    But then , you run the risk of having them declared "old growth forest" , and deemed untouchable !.
    But thats the route I would take , plant out tree varieties that you can use to advantage , and manage them well.
    Agist the land at whatever is the appropriate season for your land to a local sheep farmer to keep the grass down , and mulch the prunings.
    You might not see the benefits , except for the odd thinning , but someone will (hopefully).
    At least you are not at the behest of leasers that seem to change every second month here , and you can do your own thing.
    Regards Rob J.

Rob I read your last post and the name Richard Collbeck jumped out at me. Richards kids and mine went to school together and played in the same footy team for years. Before Richard became a politician he made a living designing and building "award winning " homes in Tassy. Many of these buildings used "Special Tassy timbers". So if any politcian owes anything at all to the state of Tasmania it would be him. I might have to get of my backside and put pen to paper.
    Ian L

SENATOR THE HON RICHARD COLBECK
    Senator for Tasmania
    Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Fisheries and Forestry
    Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Innovation, Industry and Science
    M E D I A R E L E A S E
    19 August 2011

Say goodbye to Tasmania’s fine furniture and craft sector

Tasmania’s fine furniture and craft industry will disappear under the so-called independent recommendations of Professor Jonathan West.
    “It is no wonder the governments wanted Prof. West’s report kept secret. The areas he has selected for reserve contain almost all the areas where special timbers are.
    “Under Prof. West’s direction, the Intergovernmental Agreement (IGA) will decimate Tasmania’s woodcraft sector.
    “Prof. West’s report says 6700 cubic metres of special timbers would be available annually from outside the proposed reserve areas, but Tasmania’s Special Timbers Target is actually nearly double this at 12,500 cubic metres.
    “The special timbers sector has previously stated that further reduction from 12,500 cubic metres would make harvest and processing uneconomic.

“That is exactly the objective of green groups involved in this process, although they want to do that to the entire forest sector.

“From milling and processing through to retail opportunities, the woodcraft sector employs around 2000 Tasmanian and has an annual value in excess of $70 million.
    “But the IGA will mean there is no need for a Tasmanian Design Centre to showcase world class timber furniture and design, and there would be no need for the School of Fine Furniture.
    “Imagine walking through Salamanca without seeing one of the main attractions – fine timber craftworks.
    “Forestry Tasmania has repeatedly said it cannot meet supply contract requirements if 430,000 hectares are locked up.
    “Prof. West’s report was written without consultation with the industry and it is simply a mirror of the environment group’s claims.
    “But given that Prof. West is a former director of the Wilderness Society it is not surprising that this result is shining through.
    “Prof. West’s appointment and his subsequent report highlight just how bad this sham process is.

“There is no chance of the forest industry getting a fair deal,” Senator Colbeck said.

regards,

AD
    www.denmanmarine.com.au
    Australian agent for Swallow Boats, Bruynzeel Multipanel Plywood and Barton Marine Products

AD , it sounds crazy ! , SURELY "the penny will drop' , and we will see some common sense.
    But it seems sorely lacking , in State and Federal government for you Tasmanians.
    All we can do is keeping plugging away , I guess !.
    Ian , get pen to paper mate , or e-mail him , let him know about this group.
    Regards Rob J.

Just stuck this on The Hon Collbeck web site.

"Hi Richard, my name is Ian Lehman, you may remember me from the days when Reece and Kerrick played for the mini blues. I would like to draw your attention to a debate on the wooden boat section of the australian wood workers forum re what is happening to the forest in Tassy. Tasmanian Boat building timber availability - Page 4 - Woodwork Forums
    This forum is viewed by boat builders all over the world and currently the are reading about the appaling situation in Tasmania. I beg you Richard not to let the legacy of the famous tassy boat builder go down the tube.
    Regards Ian Lehman"

Interesting to see if I get a reply
    PS Pitty i cant spelll

Well done Ian.
    It might take his staffers a while to get to your letter , but I'm confident you will get a response.
    Regards Rob J.

From Senator Colbeck

"Hi Rob

Thanks for sending me this, it is really good information.

I have had others bring this to my attention today as well and I will certainly use it in coming days.

Regards

Richard

Sent from my iPad

On 19/08/2011, at 7:50 PM, "Robert Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote:

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f34/tasmanian-boat-building-timber-availability-139466/ .
    This is more about the boat building industry , but any value adding industry really , relying on Tasmanian timbers.
    Regards Rob Johnson

Hi Rob, just got this response from my old mate, now all we need 167 or so mates on the other side.

"Hi Ian

It is a while since those cold Sundays at Byard Park.

Thanks for sending me this, a couple of others ave alerted me to it as well, a real indication of the level of feeling about this.

Is very good information that I will be able to use.

Trust all is well with the family

Cheers

Richard"

Well , thats good Ian.
    Very good !.
    I hope they can achieve a satisfactory result !.
    Regards Rob J.

I've got to say , the impression I have about this "agreement" is that it is a rush job , poorly thought out , and just as poorly executed.
    But the stakes are very high !.
    I'm just hoping , for the industries sake , and for Tasmania's and Australia's , that the people pushing this and other agreements will just step back a bit , look carefully at what they are doing , and have another , more considered go.
    It seems not much more than an act of vandalism at the moment.
    Rob J.

Rob,
    Regardless of the outcome, of this latest, "agreement".
    As with all the other Forestry and Park deals done previously.
    Tassie will be the looser.

That is why we call Tasmania, "THE WASTED STATE".

Sad but true.

Paul.
    I FISH THEREFORE I AM.

Paul , I thought it was to become "The Welfare State".
    Its no joke though.
    Such a beautiful part of this country , with so much going for it.
    Not the least its history , and for us , that means the iconic timber boats.
    My family , and my future daughter in laws family will be down in November , maybe by then all of the boating people will be retrained in making sandwiches , and latte's (sorry AD , ducking and weaving).
    Regards Rob J.

Hi Rob

We went past being the "welfare state', with the last forestry agreement, some years ago.

Tasmania has been the "WASTED STATE", ever since.

Tassie might become the "retirement state" for Australia, but then who pays the bills, with no income.

I am leaving this discussion, as it upsets me too much, when I know "COMMON SENSE',
    cannot win and has not since the 60's.

Paul.
    I FISH THEREFORE I AM.

Well , we are doing our bit for the Tasmanian accomodation industry , come November .
    I 'spose that is what it might come to , making beds and meals for the odd tourist .
    Paul , I'm hoping to meet you then , so hang around !.
    Regards Rob J.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast