Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Post Which compressor and nail gun would you buy...and why?

G'day Folks,

I need a general purpose all round nail gun (perhaps 2 guns) and to help me decide which is best to fit my needs, I've been doing a lot of searching online and talking with a couple of stores.

The problem I found with talking to salesmen/women in stores is just that...they're sales people and have never worked on the tools. Plus, some are commission driven.

Then I thought, why not ask the members of the woodworkers forum for their advice, I’m sure a number of you bods have hands on experience working with various nail guns!

Okay, I‘m building a timber shed/bird-room from the ground up so I’ll be building the frames, doors and trusses in my workshop, I’ll assemble and clad the frame over in another section of my backyard.

I thought I would purchase a compressor and a nail gun for building the frames and trusses (I can use the compressor for other jobs besides driving a nail gun for woodwork) and a Paslode Impulse Compact Nailer for cladding the shed on site.
    The Paslode will let me use all the nails I need, i.e. Smooth, Screw, Ring and Deckfast and takes any of the above nails in sizes from 50mm to 82mm. So it suits my needs as a go anywhere all-rounder nail gun.
    (Hopefuly I will be useing these tools a fair bit in the near future)
    When it comes to a pneumatic nail gun to go with the compressor as an in-shop nailer, I have a problem finding and making a decision on which nail gun would best suit my needs, a straight magazine or a coil magazine, the straight mag’ nail guns can take a longer nail, up to 100mm in some guns but they cost a small fortune and I don’t need a 100mm gun, I believe a 80mm nail would be the longest I would use.
    I believe a coil gun that would fire Smooth, Dome Head Ring, Ring, Dome and Screw nails with a maximum shank length of 83mm would be right for me but I’m not 100% sure.
    By the way, I'll be using the gear to build frames, doors and trusses, hopefully ongoing
    So I am seeking advice from you folks with hands-on experience.
    1. Which compressor would you purchase. (I am looking at this one but which one would you buy, it will be strictly for in-shop use:

50 LT AIR COMPRESSOR - BELT DRIVE - $325.00
    Brand: Jetstream
    Model: JETTH2550
    Type: Belt Drive / Two cylinders
    Engine size: 2.5 HP
    CFM: 12
    RPM: 2800
    Phase: 1
    Pistons Displacement: 12CFM
    Volts: 240
    Free Air Delivery: 10 CFM/233L/Min
    Tank capacity: 50Lt

2. Which general purpose nail gun would you buy, a coil gun or a straight mag’ gun, which gun and model would you recommend and why, bearing in mind that the gun should fire the various nails from 50mm up to about 85mm in length.
    3. Last: can anyone recommend anyone in the Geelong district, or the Geelong side of Melbourne, where I may acquire a good deal if I purchase all the equipment from the one source.

I’m pretty set on a Paslode Impulse Compact Nailer for site work so I just have to decide on the pneumatic gear for in-shop use. :confused:

Thanking you all in advance for any help and advice you can give...and a Happy New Year to one and all.

Bill…kando

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

G'day Bill.

I use Senco framing guns.
    The longest nail I use is 3"
    but a lot of 2" go thru it too.
    Comp is a Pilot oilless 3hp 3 phase.

the Senco is as heavy as all .
    But you can use it as a hammer to line things up before shooting.

Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor
    Grafton

Kando,
    the compressor sounds more than adequate for a nail gun, unless you're sparaying as well a 2HP 8cfm would be fine. I don't think the PAslode compact nailer would be suitable for cladding as I believe it's really only a finish gun, you really want heavier gauge nails for cladding. There's a whole range of guns just in the coil type. There are some that are suitable for nailing up fibro, some that will take heavy gauge framing nails but I don't believe there's one suitable for everything. (If there is I wish I knew about it before I bought all the guns I now own!) For what you're doing you may be best off with a framing gun as most of your framing and trusses would be done with 75mm nails. Then a coil nailer that takes a lighter gauge nail for all your cladding and doors.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Post Nail Guns And Compressors

G'day Mick and Trevor,

Thanks for your feedback, it's much appreciated.

As far as the Paslode nailer goes, the model I'm looking at (B20544) is recommended for Framing, Flooring, Roofing, Eaves, Trusses, Joists, Decking and Cladding.
    It takes the following nails, Smooth, Screw, Ring and Deckfast, from 50mm to 82mm in length with shank diam' of 2.8, 3.06 and 3.15. and it's on special at $630 till January 28th .
    A big problem I have...When I had a construction/renovations business on the go, I would always purchase the best tools and large compressors that would happily drive two or three nailers all day on site. My compressors were 15 CFM Belt Drive Compressor with 3HP motors and 80 L tanks and I never had a problem.

I realise that the compressor I purchase for my "build at home" building project idea that I plan on starting will not need a compressor of that capacity but after being used to large compressors, it's hard to believe that some of the little compressors they are offering in the shops will do the job of driving one or two nail guns and on occasion, a low pressure spray gun for spraying preservatives on some timbers (Baltic Pine or untreated Cladding)!

I can purchase a compressor and stick nail gun from Mitre/10 for a couple of hundred bucks but I'm still tempted to purchase a belt driven 3HP, 15CFM compressor or something just a little smaller, a coil nailer (I can get a Stanley Bostitch coil nailer from the States for $315aus) and I would like the Paslode...if it's suitable for what I have in mind.

As you can see by this post...I'm not sure which tools to purchase for my needs...I may be wiser to leave the Pasload till I see if things are going to work out...(see if I can get orders for what I have in mind before I purchase tools that I may never have a use for :eek: )
    Anyway, thanks a lot for sharing your views with me...it has given me some more to think about.

Cheers mates,

Bill...kando
    Geelong
    Last edited by kando; 2nd January 2005 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Spelling

Default Nail Guns and compressors

Most nail guns only need small compressors to operate them adequetly, however if you are going to use a coil nailer to rapit fire in decking or fencing then you need a larger pump and tank i.e 50 ltr 12 -15 cfm get nitto fitting and Australian made hose as some of the non Australian hose will blow up in the heat and nitto fitting allow more air for nailing
    Hope this helps
    Me2
    Ps I sell them and try to sell the right tool for the Job ( dont get commission)

Post Still Compressors

G'day Me2,

Thanks for your views, you back-up my thoughts on compressors, anyway I "believe" I have narrowed the field down to two lines of compressors,
    One is the Big Cat Compressor Range, they have a single phase belt drive that puts out 15 CFM, they also have a Big Cat Ute Pack Compressor and acording to their sales material it has a lot of grunt for its size, here are the specs:
    Technical Specifications:
    • MOTOR 2 HP
    • DRIVE DIRECT
    • RECEIVER 18 LITRE
    • CAPACITY 8 CFM
    • PRESSURE 125 PSI
    • WEIGHT 25 KG
    Aparently they are pretty popular with onsite chippies as they fit in the back of the ute no problem...and the do a good days work but...I'm not 100% convinced that such a small compressor would stand-up to the job day after day...week after week...but I could be wrong and it woulden't be the first time.
    The other compressor I'm still looking at is the compressor I first mentioned in this posting. ie 50 LT AIR COMPRESSOR - BELT DRIVE - $325.00
    Brand: Jetstream
    Model: JETTH2550
    Type: Belt Drive / Two cylinders
    Engine size: 2.5 HP
    CFM: 12
    RPM: 2800
    Phase: 1
    Pistons Displacement: 12CFM
    Volts: 240
    Free Air Delivery: 10 CFM/233L/Min
    Tank capacity: 50Lt

I still have time to make my decission on which compressor to go with but I have already purchased a coil nailer from the USA.
    I purchased a Stanley/Bostitch N80CB Industrial Coil Framing Nailer for $396aus and that included postage, taxes, duties and insurance, so I have no more to pay when the unit gets here...so I'm happy with my deal on the Stanley...I've used Stanley framing guns in the past and I found them to be trouble free...so I hope the Stanley coil nailer is as good...time will tell.

Thanks again for your input on this...it's good to have somewhere to seek advice...where the other members don't mind sharing their views.

Now I'll post a small question on saws and see what views I get then I had better get some sleep.

Cheers all,

Bill from Geelong...kando

$396 landed in oz, christ that's cheap.
    do you have a link to where you purchased it ?

Default Compressors

Kango

Remember to check the availability of nails Bostic nails are harder to ome by than Pasload nails. The deal seems very good for the gun We sell Duo Fast Airco and ProtonAir all for more than you paid.
    I would buy the Belt driven Compressor for your gun, it will run slower than the direct drive so will last longer and will be quieter.

Post Which tools to buy Update

G’day folks,

Went to bed early last night…11.30pm, slept like a baby till 2.50am and been up and about ever since…No rest for the wicked.

Okay folks, go make a cuppa then come back to read this...it's a long update. Here’s the update on my…backyard project for my birds…that I “hope” to convert to a little business down the track but hopefully…not too far down the track.

Based on your advice, plus the replies I got from four chippies building houses near me (I approached the chippies one at a time and asked the same question that I asked the forum members, i.e. which one of the three saw would you purchase if you had to buy a new saw tomorrow?) Based on their and your answers, I purchased the genuine HITACHI C10FCB “COMPOUND MITRE SAW”, 255mm (10") 1,640 WATT at $479.00, so that’s another decision taken care of but!...After reading the info’ on the two sites that Pope posted…I now wish I had gone with the GMC!
    Looks like it’s a great unit…as good, if not better than the Hitachi C10FCB and the GMC is made in Australia!
    Having worked quite a bit in the States and Canada and worked with the yanks all over the world, I know those bods don’t give praise to something just to be popular with Aussies…or anyone else!
    Why did I not stick with my first choice, the GMC :confused:.

Anyway, I got to read Popes reports “after” I had ordered the Hitachi so I had already purchased the Hitachi, even though it’s not a sliding compound mitre saw...to go with my El-Cheepo 10” sliding compound mitre saw, a Makita look alike, I believe I’ll be able to cut much better/cleaner angles where and when I need them, using the Hitachi.
    I have also purchased A HEAVY DUTY FOLDING SAW TABLE at $199 for the saw.

Also purchased was a Stanley-Bostitch coil nailer at $179.99US plus postage and insurance, the full cost worked out to $396 landed in oz, and for you Pope, here’s the URL: http://www.toolking.com/stanley/view.asp?id=2874

By the way, I forgot to mention that the coil nail gun is a reconditioned unit and here’s what Tool King say about their recon’ units:

What Is a Manufacturer-Reconditioned Tool?
    A Manufacturer reconditioned tool can be defined as:
    Open Box: Items cannot be sold as new if product packing is removed.
    Returns: Because of the easing of many liberal return policies, customers can return products for any reason. If the customer was unhappy for any reason and returned the product, these items must be identified as reconditioned.

How are products reconditioned?
    Once a product has been returned to a retailer and opened for whatever reason, it cannot be sold for new. It is then returned to the manufacturer and is completely gone through to assure it meets all factory specifications and is then quality checked again. Manufacturer-reconditioned tools maintain the highest quality standards. Each tool is thoroughly examined for proper working condition and quality.

How are Manufacturer-Reconditioned identified?
    Every Tool King's reconditioned product is identified by a symbol.

What makes a Manufacturer reconditioned tool a super bargain?
    The price you pay for a reconditioned tool is significantly lower than retail.

What is the warranty on Manufacturer-reconditioned tool?
    Tool King’s reconditioned tools come with a double satisfaction guarantee, you receive a full manufacture warranty and a 100% Tool King Satisfaction guarantee.

Sounds good enough for me, and…I checked around…Tool King has been around since the 70s and no-one stays in business that long if their products are not up to scratch!
    So I’m happy with my purchase…reconditioned or not!

As to Me2s post:
    Remember to check the availability of nails Bostic nails are harder to come by than Pasload nails. The deal seems very good for the gun, we sell Duo Fast Airco and ProtonAir all for more than you paid.

As I told Pope, the coil gun is reconditioned. As to nails for the gun, I never had a problem finding nails for my Stanley-Bostitch framing guns in the past and I do not expect any problems sourcing nails for this coil gun. We have several good fastener supply shops in Geelong. Anyway, I wrote to Tool King about nails for this gun and here is their reply:

** That unit will use a 15 degree coil framing nail. Size can vary from 1 1/2 to 3 1/4" in length. It will use plain, screw, or ring shank in a standard, gal’, or stainless nail. **

Based on that piece of info’ from the supplier, I don’t think I’ll have a problem sourcing nails but if I do…I’ll let you all know.

Me2 went on to advise:
    I would buy the Belt driven Compressor for your gun, it will run slower than the direct drive so will last longer and will be quieter.

Thanks Me2, I had no plans to purchase a direct drive, it was always a belt drive or nothing for me. I have found two belt driven 12 CFM units and I think I’ll go with the little more expensive one…the supplier of the cheaper of the two units does not permit pick-up from their premises and that makes me slightly uneasy!

My last compressor was an Italian made 15 CFM, had a 80 ltr tank with twin outlets and it would have lasted me forever…had I not sold it for 800 bucks! I threw in two nail guns, a Bostitch framer and a Bix finishing gun, all the fittings, a kit containing a tyre gague, engine spray washer, paint spray kit and a lot of other stuff along with a few new boxes of nails and a heap of hose. That compressor had only done about 45 hours light work and was as new…Still…If we were all wise men, there would be no fools!
    Anyway before making a decision on a compressor, I’m pretty set on a 15 CFM job from Transquip Direct for $735 or their 12 CFM at $495 and free delivery Australia wide, but I’ll check with our local All Tools and a few other local suppliers to see if they can match…or better the price and I’ll do that today before placing an order with anyone.
    Like I say, I would like another 15 CFM but the difference of $240 in price “may” be the deciding factor…that $240 could well buy me a bale of timber from Fowles Auctions in Melbourne and that would help get me started.

Just had another email from Tool King, the coil gun is on it’s way so it may arrive before the weekend.

All in all I’m happy with my purchases to set-up my shop again and I believe I got good deals, if I go with a big 15 CFM compressor…I'll have acquired all my tools for just under $2,000 and I should be set to go…all I need is the timber.
    If I go with the 12 CFM compressor, I could purchase a second small portable compressor to go in the back of a ute for onsite work and I would still have a bit of change from my $2,000! But I'll leave that decision till much later.
    Still…that report on the GMC saw keeps bugging me…hope I’ve made the right decision.

Okay folks, that’s it…I’m off to have some breakfast, after that...I'll go buy the wife a new lawnmower… one of them FlyMo hoover type jobs…can’t have her complaining that I’m the only one to get new tools and besides…I like to spoil her .

Thanks a lot for all your helpful advice, it really is appreciated.
    I’ll keep you informed of my progress and the performance of the tools…Just don’t expect a report within the next few days.

Bill from Geelong…kando…with a little help from my friends .

PS…Almost forgot…For the member who inquired where I purchased the saw, I purchased the HITACHI C10FCB “COMPOUND MITRE SAW”, 255mm (10") 1,640 WATT at $479.00 from a mob in NSW who have a very large listing on eBay, here is a direct link to the saw:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....75702&tc=photo if this link is broken use the the following link and do a search in their shop for "saw"...what else .

http://stores.ebay.com.au/SUPATOOLSO...enameZl2QQtZkm
    Last edited by kando; 4th January 2005 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Correction

Quote Originally Posted by kando
    G’day folks,
    ...I'll go buy the wife a new lawnmower… one of them FlyMo hoover type jobs…can’t have her complaining that I’m the only one to get new tools and besides…I like to spoil her :
    Now yer dun it - yer set the precedent - tools for the missus!!!
    When does she start to share yer shed!
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Wink Compressors

G'day all,

I can't get the compressor folks in town to match the price on a 12 CFM or a 15 CFM with an 80L tank...They all want almost $300 more over the cost I can get one for...so how about you Me2? Can your mob match, or better the price I got on the following compressors? BTW, where are you located?

SS3012
    Description: WTD 12 CFM Super Silent Belt Drive Compressor. ON SPECIAL NOW + HURRY FOR $25 FLAT RATE DELIVERY* This unit is suitable for TRADE usage. If you are looking for a serious Belt Drive unit at a BARGAIN price, this is the one! SUPER SILENT running at only 35db. This is one of the quietest units around! Tank Pressure at 12cfm & a HUGE FAD of 9CFM 2.5HP Silent Running Motor and Side by Side Alloy double cylinder pump with cast iron linings. Full sized 50Litre ASA tank. Tank Pressure gauge with single outlet pressure gauge included. 1 Year warranty on the motor and 3 years on the tank. Cost: $ 495.00 plus $25 freight.

WTD3015
    Description WTD 15 CFM Belt Drive Air Compressor. This unit is suitable for TRADE usage. MASSIVE UPGRADED 80LITRE TANK. 15amp plug. Trade Series Unit! Comes with heavy duty Air Filled Tyres, 3HP Motor and Side by Side Alloy double cylinder pump with cast iron linings. 80 Ltr tank. Pressure regulator with single outlet included. Tank Pressure at 15cfm. 1 Year warranty on the motor and 3 years on the tank. As an added bonus we are also offering $25 FLAT RATE DELIVERY* FOR A LIMITED TIME. Cost: $ 735.90 plus $25 Freight

That's a great rate for freight coming from Perth!

I have not as yet decided on which one to purchase...I'm inclined to go for the larger 15 CFM unit...that way I have all the power I need...plus some to spare...and the difference is only $240.
    I'm afraid I chose my tools the same way I chose my cars, trucks and bikes...overpowered rather than underpowered.

In your opinion, which compressor above best suits my needs, I will only be working with soft wood like pine.

Anyway let me know what you think and if you can compete or better the prices offered above.

BTW echnidna, I last bought the wife a tool...another lawnmower...19 years ago, so she does make em last...but she don't get into my shed for anything...even though she helped me build it! :eek:.

Cheers all,

Bill from Geelong...kando...with a little help from my friends
    Last edited by kando; 4th January 2005 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Correction

From your description of what you'll be using it for I can't see the need for the 15cfm Kando. I run a 8cfm all day, day in day out for fixing on new homes and it handles it just fine. The only time I've slowed it down was doing flooring or decking where your nailing constantly.

Apart from being direct drive, twin cylinder and blue, I'd tell you what I have if I knew. Had this thing for the best part of 15 years and it's never needed repairs or servicing, someone hear mentioned the name Pilot and that rings a bell.

To muddy the waters somewhat more regarding compressors. In the last 12 years I have had two Pilot compressors, wore the first out, the second ain't far behind. It will be replaced by another Pilot.

Whilst two compressors in 12 years seems a bit much, the work they receive is also a bit much. Certainly more than the manufacturer says they are rated for. At times they run have run 16 hours a day, that's, not plugged in and cycling, thats motor going round and round, pistons up and down, running.

The first was a 10cfm, the second 15 cfm, they are truly a quality unit. There may be equals out there, I don't know, I only know from my own experience.

No, I don't sell them or yadda yadda yadda.
    Boring signature time again!

Post I've Bought My Compressor.

G'day Pope and Outback,

Thanks for the info' but as I had to make a decision...I went for the 12CFM quiet unit...don't want to upset the neighbours do we .

SS3012
    Description: WTD 12 CFM Super Silent Belt Drive Compressor. ON SPECIAL NOW + HURRY FOR $25 FLAT RATE DELIVERY* This unit is suitable for TRADE usage. If you are looking for a serious Belt Drive unit at a BARGAIN price, this is the one! SUPER SILENT running at only 35db. This is one of the quietest units around! Tank Pressure at 12cfm & a HUGE FAD of 9CFM 2.5HP Silent Running Motor and Side by Side Alloy double cylinder pump with cast iron linings. Full sized 50Litre ASA tank. Tank Pressure gauge with single outlet pressure gauge included. 1 Year warranty on the motor and 3 years on the tank. Cost: $ 495.00 plus $25 freight.

I ordered a few other bits and pieces to go with the compressor, like hose, fittings, a stapler and some other items and they should be here by the middle of next week. Just had an email...the stapler will be here by this weekend!
    Which brings me to another question, if you had to do it again, how wide would you build your work benches and storage cupboards?

I may start a new string on that and see what other think .

Thanks for your helpful advice, it's great to have somewhere to bounce ideas around and ask advice without those being asked for advise comming back with: That will never work, you're just wasting money...at your age you should forget it!
    Then if a person does nothing...they're classed as lazy bums who won't try! A bloke just can't win with some folk. So it's good to have a place like the WoodWorkers Forum where a person can seek unbiased advice.

Cheers mates and thanks again,

Bill from Geelong...kando...with a little help from my friends .

Post Coil Guns

Quote Originally Posted by ThePope
    $396 landed in oz, christ that's cheap.
    do you have a link to where you purchased it ?
    G’day Pope,

My Stanly Bostitch Coil Gun arrived last Monday and to say the least…I’m very happy with my purchase!
    If this gun was placed alongside a brand new coil gun of the same make…I defy anyone to pick it out as a recon gun!
    It is as brand new and came with the handbook and all relevant documents.
    I have shown it to the crew at Alltools and a couple of other gun/nail supply shops…they reckon it must be hot! They went on to say there’s no way you could buy a “NEW” or even a good “secondhand” Bostitch coil gun at under 400 bucks Australian! (I did not tell them my coil gun was a yank recon unit that I had imported from the States)

Just thought I would update you on that as you seemed interested.

Cheers mates,

Bill from Geelong…Kando…with a little help from my friends
    Last edited by kando; 14th January 2005 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Add On