Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Multi Function Laser Printer

Hei Guys,
    We need a scanner and we also need a laser printer (mono is fine) for general use - as well my work printing, the wife is studying at uni and needs to print a fair bit.

Officeworks have the HP laserjet Pro for $197.
    Anyone used this got or any recommendations on others - ideally around the $200 mark.
    Cheers

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Have a look on the web for the HP data on the unit you are interested in to note the toner/fuser/drum etc numbers and anticipated pages they quote, then check the local prices for these goodies. It is common for lasers to come with starter toners (around 1000 pgs), and the full spec toner cart to cost near what the printer did.

If you check first, you won't get extreme surprises later. Most domestic level printers sell at a loss to the manufacturers to get you dependant on their consumables.

I was in our local Office Works on Thursday and saw a brand new LASER printer for $80, or maybe $88, whatever, I was floored.

I checked out the literature on the side of the packaging and noted that the OEM toner cartridge was good for 700 pages and there was another one available at more expense, so when purchasing your next toner cartridge the option is OEM at 750 pages or optional one that does 1,000 pages.

I would seriously think of one of these for when we retire and sell our business, LASER printers are very cheap to run.

I'm not sure, but it may have been a Brother, but they had a huge mountain of them and they were going out the door at a rate of knots.

Alongside was another pile of do everything in one machine which was just under $200.00, which may have been what you were looking at.

After running HP LASER printers for close to 15 years I switched to Brother, far cheaper and virtually able to stay with the HP units on output. As far as costing goes, they are all about the same with OEM cartridges working out to about 1.2 - 1.5 cents per page.

Mick.

Yep already checked the toner - $100 for the name one from Officeworks so I can probably find generic cheaper.

I know what you say about them selling the printers cheap, I've had about 5 of them and just bin them when the toner runs out.
    But where I am living now we have a 250k drive to the nearest officeworks so I am thinking long term - but we need a scanner as well.

Look around for a separate scanner. If the scanner or the laser dies, you still have the other unit, you are not paying for the extra hardware. As has been observed, they seem to sell the hardware at cost or a loss, just to get you hooked on expensive consumables.

Not sure if it is all states but I have just seen an add for Hardly Normal selling all HP gear from what I can tell at 40% off. Perhaps they are getting out of HP gear????

I purchased a Brother B/W laser about 5 years ago as I was finding inkjets were not worth the bother having to unblock the heads every time I wanted to print. It wasn't cheap at the time like they are now but I knew it would be around for a while. The trial toner lasted about 3 years and I picked up the larger toner after that for about $70 and don't think I will be replacing it any time soon.

When I picked up the new toner I could have basically bought a new B/W laser for not much more but I don't want to buy into the throw away printer scheme and didn't see the need to throw away something that has been faultless.

If space isn't an issue .... just like woodwork machines I would be getting a separate scanner and printer. Easier to fix, replace or upgrade if they aren't stuck together.

Cheers

Stinky.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

I bought a Samsung multi function colour laser with wired networking (can connect from any computer in the house) from officeworks for $297 in June. It's quite a nice printer and I'm very happy with it. Consumables seemed reasonable too.

They have a wireless version for $100 more.

Cheers,
    Dave
    ...but together with the coffee civility flowed back into him
    Patrick O'Brian, Treason's Harbour