Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Osage orange ?

Default Osage orange ?

G'day
    Out dog walking yesterday when I came upon a neat stack of logs on the verge . I noticed that the logs were bright yellow on the cut ends, so I took a bit home and roughed out a couple of bowls .The timber was creamy yellow when first turned, but went bright yellow over night . The yellow color does not show up in the picture very well .
    Does this sound like it is osage orange?
    The only similar wood I have turned is mulberry but it goes a more greeny yellow .My book says osage orange is related to mulberry.
    Ted
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Does not look like Osage Orange to me Ted. Not a bright enough
    orange colour and the bark is nothing like the Osage Orange blocks
    I have on hand here.
    Note: Tried to include pics but don't seem to be able to. Will start
    a new thread below yours which does allow me.

Allan
    Life is short ... smile while you still have teeth.

I have seen yellow Osage Orange, but I agree with Allan that the bark doesn't look right. Ditto for Mulberry.

It could be any one of a number of non-aussie trees, though. Canary wood or Agarita to name a couple of possibilities. (I'm not familiar enough with their bark to eliminate them. )

You got any photos of the foliage/flowers/seeds to help narrow things down? Did the wood have any distinctive smell when freshly cut? Is the 'colour' water soluble? (Try wetting the end and rubbing with your finger, or throwing some woodchips into a bowl of water.)
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

I believe that I may have some of what you have there Ted, does it have very prominent medullary rays on the end grain?

Thanks for the replys . Unfortunatly there were no leaves around. I'll check for water solubility and medullary rays .
    Ted

I'm from a part of the US where Osage Orange, or, as we call it, "Bodock" is pretty common, and I'm pretty confident that is not it. It's considerably more orange than that.

As far as what it actually is, sorry, can't help you there.

Good luck,
    Luke

Looks an awful lot like Tipu to me - bark and timber. The bark is flakier on older limbs. Not sure if it will grow down that way though as I thought it was a bit tropical, but just putting my two-bobs worth in
    Updated 8th of February 2024

I had a certain type of rubber tree that looked like that. Bright yellow but unfortunately turns a pale brown with just a yellow tinge when its dry.
    Neil

Ted, you didn't say what the average size of the logs were, but if there were any branches around 1 1/2" and smaller, there should be thorns about every inch along the length of branches that small.... Where you found the neatly stacked logs, did you notice a house nearby? If so, go ask the owner what type of tree it was. If you got the log by stealth, don't ask. heheh What is a verge?????

I have worked Osage. The color is just like the form Allan posted in the other thread. The closest match from another wood is Mulberry. The ring color and wood are almost identical. The wood you show isn't either. The grain has the same tiny streaks that I've seen in Mahogany.

I was given 3 Osage trees 8 years ago, and now have 8. It's a shame I won't live long enough to get any wood out of them. It's a viscous tree to have in a yard. I live in the desert, and everything in it has it's own type of protection. Osage, not being a native, has a different type of thorn that I consider more deadly than a Teddy Bear Cholla...

The log you posted with the bowl. Is that your finished piece? ........... Jerry (in Tucson)

Exclamation

Have to disagree with you on that Vern - almost violently so!

The bark is totally wrong and the colour is wring.

Tipu has a bark that looks much like the bark an Alan's photos of Osage orange.
    When Tipu is cut it bleeds profusely, leaving wine red sap along the cut line.

Jerry
    No spikes on this . I am reluctant to knock on the door as I know a vicious dog lives there . One day it got out and attacked my dog as we were walking past . The verge is the bit between the fence and the gutter.This place obviously has some interesting trees , about six months ago I picked up a load of robinia there which is a very nice timber.
    Ted

osage orange, from the very little bit i turned also has a soapy feel when you are sanding it, and comes off the tool in a lovely silky way. - not much help, but i concur from what those photos show, that it is something else. I would have actually said robinia, but you obviously have experience with that.