Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Need help~~

Default Need help~~

Hi everyone,

I am trying to DIY a make up box with side opened door and some hidden partition for my wife-to-be as an anniversary present, my first DIY present to her. But after buying all the parts, i noticed i need more tools to built it and i had no experience with this before except doing up a small box during my school days.

Can anyone advise me? i am trying to look for a workshop to rent(per hour type) or courses to take to or even a mentor that i could rent for a few hours (hopefully) .

Hopefully someone could help me out with this little request ... running out of time trying to search for resources.

Best regards,
    Kieve

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

You can make a box with very little tools,using just hand tools. I remember the first box I made for my mother, it was a sewing box and I did just simple butt joints held together with brads and glue. she used the box for over 40 years and it was still going strong when she passed on..

I only used a hand saw and hammer to make the sewing box and finished it by french polishing it. If you make something for someone, it will be treasured for all time. Its the effort and thought that goes into making something like that that counts and makes it all worthwhile. If you do a search on the forum, you will see many projects that have been made simply but beautifully just by using hand tools. In fact, there are those on here who would not use power tools to make anything.

Good luck with your project. I'm sure she will love it no matter what.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Thanks munreben,

i know about the joints etc.. but trying to do these joints... not very confident. haha i wanted to do a dove tail joint to hold the box together. possible?

i will try to look into other projects in this forum, hopefully can find some plans on doing it. thanks!!!

This depends on the hand/power tools that you have Kieve, if you are sticking to hand tools and want to do dovetails I suggest that you check out Japanese pull saws and decent marking out gear. and a mitre box if you wish to do mitres.....my first serious box was made with a tenon saw and hand plane, rebated corners, lid and base butt joined and then the whole box shaped with a hand plane and it looked good.