Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hi,

I glue some very thin foam ( from Clark Rubber ) with a repositionable spray on glue ( from any craft or art shop ) onto some cardboard, trim it then glue the cloth on the back of the cardboard with Helmar's Fabric Glue. I cut the corners at 45 degrees. This glue is Australian made and is used for fixing cloth, lace, trim, upholstery etc onto hats, lamp shades, furniture etc. - it dries in about 30 seconds, is flexible and dries clear and is very strong - no lifting. It squeezes from a plastic bottle so there is no need to spread it around and make a mess. You can buy it at Spotlight or any craft shop or ring Helmar's on 02 9627 4666. I also noticed it's for sale at Riot Craft shops.

I used to be a tad embarrassed going into Spotlight until I realised most of the professional box makers get a lot of product from them so most blokes you see there are actually trying to find something for themselves. On the positive side all the ladies there chat up old buggers like myself which is a pleasant change.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Charleville is offline Nocturnal and primeval - I fish at night.

I just use felt from Spotlight and other craft and $2 stores.

I glue it directly into place - ie not onto cardboard first - using the blue solid lipstick style dispenser glue that you will find in newsagents for sticking paper and cardboard. I have had no failures over the three years that I have been using this technique. When I oil the box prior to fitting the felt, I make sure that the areas where I intend to use the glue are masked so that no oil covers those areas.

There are usually two types of felt to be found in these places. Some are quite firm and some are quite soft.

The firmer stuff is easier to cut with scissors or knife but that is not really an issue with the softer stuff either because I stick a strip of blue painters' masking tape along where the cut will be and it is on that tape that I will mark the cut line with a ruler and pencil. I then use scissors to cut along that line and then I pull off the tape which only has a weak adhesive and pulls away easily without damage. Without using the tape, a straight, firm cut is a lot harder to do

The benefit of using the softer felt is that you can stretch it pretty easily to fit exactly into the corners and edges of your box. I usually just sharpen up an icypole stick to use to push the felt into the corners and edges. You can buy bags of those sticks in any craft store or Bunnings. You don't have to use them but that is what I have at hand.

The other benefit of using the softer felt is that there are a whole lot more colours available in the softer felts than in the stiffer variety.

There are plenty of things that men go into Spotlight to buy. They do have an amazing array of rectangular pieces of coloured felt in their craft area.

Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

Charleville - nice boxes, and some good tips for lining them

Cheers

37 Deg, 52. 697' South 145 deg, 15.627' East. Elevation 78M

Quote Originally Posted by Arron View Post
    Hi. I'm making a jewellery box. I'm trying to line it with fabric. The method I've chosen is to cut cardboad to fit, then bend the fabric over the cardboard, then stick the whole lot down. I've tried several glues and double sided tape - none really seems to work.

I've searched the web and found lots of recommendations - mostly spray on adhesives, and mostly from USA where they must have very different products available.

Can anyone recommend a method of sticking the cardboard inserts down ? Its specific product names that I'm really after.

cheers and thanks
    Arron
    I use self adhesive felt it comes in 12" squares and I get it on line from Lincraft
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Spencer View Post
    I use self adhesive felt it comes in 12" squares and I get it on line from Lincraft
    G'day Phil!
    I know this is an old post, but do you stick the felt straight to the wood or do you seal it in some method first?
    Russell (aka Mulgabill)
    "It is as it is"

37 Deg, 52. 697' South 145 deg, 15.627' East. Elevation 78M

Quote Originally Posted by Mulgabill View Post
    G'day Phil!
    I know this is an old post, but do you stick the felt straight to the wood or do you seal it in some method first?
    I have in the past cut 3mm MDF panels to be a tight fit and stuck the felt to that and then stuck that into the box, lately I have been using a 3mm panel board from Riot it is the type architectural models are made from. it is easier to cut to size (a Stanley knife instead of a saw) and stick the self stick felt to that, it presses in better with a tight fit.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe.

I trim the felt to size, apply a thin paint of aquadhere to the wood and use a small wooden roller to fix the felt into place. Spotlight seems a pretty good place for the felt, you sometimes get the odd wry smile from the lady serving but once they realise that you are buying for yourself rather than running an errand for something you know nothing about then the service is very good,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12