Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Plywood Ceiling in House

I'm trying to work out a plywood ceiling for a house with a steel roof structure.
    I'll be using 1200x2400 panels and wanted to get someone's opinion on what kind of fixing I should be thinking about.
    I assume timber battens to fix the ply sheets to, however how do I fix the battens to the steel roof structure/beams? Also, how big do you think the battens would need to be and what spacings?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Tek screws

Thanks Harry,

I'm still stuck on the transition from steel roof structure to plywood. This is a house with a flat, wafer-thin roof and I need to fix timber battens to the underside of 250mm i-beams, not trusses, before the plywood can be fixed to them.

I don't think rondo furring channels would work with plywood, or would they?

How thick is the metal?
    There are nail guns just for this purpose, you would nail on hanger brackets then fix the battens to the brackets.
    Spacing should be between 450 to 600mm, thick ply should be ok with 600 thinner ply may sag(under 12mm)after a few years.

You really should be consulting a architect/engineer

Default Plywood Ceiling Solution Found!

I've called some manufacturers and an architect and received 2 different and tested solutions so far:

1 - Rondo Furring Channels fixed directly to the underside of the i-beams and then the plywood panels screwed to the channels. (Architect's solution.)

2 - Use the Rondo suspended ceiling system and suspend it from the purlins. (I thought this could only be used with plasterboard but Austral Ply told me it's commonly used with plywood as well.)

That answers my question. Now to make it happen.

Curious

why use ply rather than plasterboard?
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

depends on the ceiling drop, if you are within 200mm of bottom of roof framing use just screw these on to the i beams,

if you need to drop ceiling lower you will need to hang Top cross runner with hanging rods that you then clip the channel into this.

you can then mount the ply on split battens so you dont have any screws showing.

Ian - the plywood is a design choice.

Gaza - interesting - how would you use split battens in a ceiling situation?

put up furlin channel first to get level surface then fix 12mm mdf split batten to both grid and back of panel, slide together working from one side of room, need to maintain a small margin around room allowing room to push last sheet up and across

I put up a grid of about 40 x 20 timber battens which I ripped out of anything available and fixed to that.
    CHRIS

The best type of wood to use for ceiling tiles is plywood. The plywood can be attached directly to the ceiling or can float using brackets that are attached to the wall.