Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by mic-d View Post
    Why's that? To redistribute the wax?
    I think he is refering to "shellac". But shellawax "glow" visibly separetes so we give that a good shake.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by tea lady View Post
    I think he is refering to "shellac". But shellawax "glow" visibly separetes so we give that a good shake.
    Shellac flakes have wax in them too ( unless it is dewaxed shellac) It may precipitate out some period after you dissolve the flakes. Remixing the wax is the only reason I can see for needing to shake fully dissolved shellac before use. BTW TL I like your idea of putting the tapioca in a little bag. I was thinking of running the quantity you need through a filter first, in case there was some loose particles. Your's is a much better idea.

Shellac flakes have wax in them too ( unless it is dewaxed shellac) It may precipitate out some period after you dissolve the flakes. Remixing the wax is the only reason I can see for needing to shake fully dissolved shellac before use. BTW TL I like your idea of putting the tapioca in a little bag. I was thinking of running the quantity you need through a filter first, in case there was some loose particles. Your's is a much better idea.
    Sort of a tapioca tea bag I was thinking! Take it out before stirring?
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)

I mash up my flakes in a coffee grinder and then put them in the foot of a stocking or pair of tights before throwing them in a bucket of meths to dissolve (it saves filtering the stuff afterwards). Tieing up some tapioca in a stocking foot would solve the same issue.
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

I don't have any trouble using any shellac flakes (current batch is Feast Watson), diggers metho (as long as its new or the lid has been kept tight), my current Aust Red Cedar desk job has had 3 coats of shellac (two with added stain) and three coats of wipe on poly over the top. Looks great, it will get another couple of coats of WOP before being installed on Tuesday.
    I have never had any issues with wax etc. Many painters use it to seal old moulding and lining before painting to stop bleeding of old varnish etc.
    After a day or so the wax collects on the botttom of the jar, you can decant it into a clean jar if you want. Always try and finish on a day with low humidity if you can and I try to make quite thin mixes so the metho evaporates before it can suck in moisture.
    Instagram: mark_aylward
    www.solidwoodfurniture.com.au

A good edge takes a little sweat!!

Haven't bought any recently but I've sourced Sceneys 95% in Mitre 10 hardware shops in the past.
    Cheers, Ern

My 4ltr Diggers from Bunnies have 95% on them too.
    Instagram: mark_aylward
    www.solidwoodfurniture.com.au

A good edge takes a little sweat!!

Quote Originally Posted by Claw Hama View Post
    My 4ltr Diggers from Bunnies have 95% on them too.
    Yeah, I've used both IMS and Diggers with identical good results.

Why's that? To redistribute the wax?
    All shellac will layer when left to sit for any length of time. It's quite obvious with golden shellac or white shellac, yet virtually impossible to detect in blond, dewaxed, or our hard shellac, but it definitely happens and if it isn't mixed prior to use you run the chance of a finish that could craze or wrinkle or do other weird things in the fullness of time. You also take all the good stuff out and are left with the not so good stuff if you don't mix it.

This is why all our premixed white shellac has this in bold red on the label:
    SHAKE BOTTLE WELL BEFORE DECANTING & STIR BEFORE USE

And our 5 litre and 25 litre bottles say:
    IMPORTANT INFORMATION
    This product will layer.
    SHAKE CONTAINER WELL
    before decanting, also shake or stir each
    time the product is used.

People may think they are getting good results using their shellac straight out of the bottle, jar or whatever, without stirring but in the long run the results will be way better if you stir or shake. Honest.

I believe Diggers have deleted the 100% IMS from their range. Could be wrong but that's what I've been told.

There's not a lot of call for 100% so it's pretty easy understand the reason for it being dropped.

Might have to start bottling it myself..... Nup not worth it.

Thanks for that info neil. I got 100% metho from the good paint shop in Upwey near me. Never tried with the "normal" stuff!
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)

Thanks Neil. The Diggers I am using is the 95% rectified spirit. I haven't seen Diggers 100% where I shop...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12