Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Woodturning newbie

Hi,

I'm just getting into woodworking in general, and have been thinking of doing some woodturning too. This lathe has appeared on the marketplace, https://www.woodworkforums.com/f221/l...ractor-140921/, a Beaver 6-speed with what looks like enough accessories to be a complete kit. Does it look like a sensible buy?

Also, if I buy it, any advice or good tutorials for a newbie? I'll go through the tutorial thread but its big, not sure where to start.

Regards,
    Ian

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hey Ian,

As someone who has just gone through the process of buying my first lathe, having done much research, that looks like a good buy, everything that you need to get started. If I could have found a package like that in Melbourne, I would have been all over it.

Regarding tutorials/ where to start, there is a whole heap of stuff on youtube, or I'm sure someone will chime in with helpful books, and of course woodturning clubs that are local to you.

Tim

That looks good. All reports I've seen on the Beavers have been positive.
    Advice would be: (1) to join a club or get some lessons - that will really speed up your development, (2) learn to sharpen your tools properly ( buy a jig) I know these two things from hard experience.
    Three wise middle aged monkeys - "see no pot-belly, feel no bald spot, buy no sports car"

Hi Ian,
    Looks like enough for a good start to turning. As for how to use the thing then the best way would be to find your local woodturning club and get someone to show you the basics. The other option is books and the net to teach yourself. One of the best books to start with is Keith Rowley's Woodturning A Foundation Course. There are plenty others around. Anything by Ritchard Raffin is worth a look too. The local library should have something on turning. Amazon or the book depository is another source. The net is loaded with info on turning but you may be stuck as where to start so try this for starters.
    Wood turning lathe tips:techniques: woodturning instruction
    Well now your spare time is taken care of so let the shaveings fly
    Regards
    John

Default all good!

Ian, Looks a good set up for the money. Theres a basic tool set including a Hamlet roughing gouge. The dust extractor comes with a 'Big Gulp' and SN2 chuck.

So your ready to go right from the start, you will need a grinder to sharpen your tools and perhaps a jig to go with it.

This set up is better than my original start up by far. Good score enjoy!
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

Ian,

I agree with all the ABOVE , especially joining a club , you can only learn so much from books and forum posts !!!

Join a Club and you can get hands on tuition , you will need this as a wood lathe is a tool that rotates at high speed with work piece that attain significant kinetic energy, and can cause injury for the unwary.

where in the Brisbane area are you ??,

there are clubs in Caboolture , Redcliffe , that I know off there should be a club near you check on the Net.

Jeff
    vk4

Thanks everyone for the comments. I have bought it, there will be a delay before I can find a way of transporting it to my place however!

As for clubs, it turns out (no pun intended) I'm very close to the woodturners society of queensland. Unfortunately most of their meetings are weekday mornings, which is no good for me as I'm still quite a few years away from retirement ;-) Are there any other clubs in the inner south Brisbane that meet on the weekend or in the evening?

Try this link. Not being from the area, I don't know how close they might be or if they still exist as the post is old.
    Dallas

Quote Originally Posted by ianmcc View Post
    Thanks everyone for the comments. I have bought it, there will be a delay before I can find a way of transporting it to my place however!

As for clubs, it turns out (no pun intended) I'm very close to the woodturners society of queensland. Unfortunately most of their meetings are weekday mornings, which is no good for me as I'm still quite a few years away from retirement ;-) Are there any other clubs in the inner south Brisbane that meet on the weekend or in the evening?
    Congrats on your purchase

I'm in a similar position with not having enough/appropriate hours to get to a turning club. Most seem to be retirees, which is no bad thing but it does mean those working cant get along as often. Does that club have a weekend day once a month or something like that?

Don't worry too much. If you can get to a club that's the best option, but failing that a bit of formal tuition, lots of practice and a bit of internet research (mostly including this place ) go a long way.

Cheers,
    Dave
    ...but together with the coffee civility flowed back into him
    Patrick O'Brian, Treason's Harbour

Thumbs up

Good sore Ian!!

From what I've been told the Bever is a cheaper "mae nder licence" version of the Vicmarc. That being the case, the design at least, is tops