Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Husky 395xp or Stihl 066

Hey! NEW to forum. Wanting feedback on your opinions of your experience with husky 395xp and Stihl 066 (or other saws) - running 36 inch and longer bars with 3/8 - 404 chain for milling / Slabs and cutting large burls from Australian hardwood. Currently using a 395xp with a 36 inch bar and 3/8 - 063 semi chisel chain . all opinions and knowledge and advice on all aspects appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

First of all widowmaker - welcome mate

This'll probably open a can o worms

I've just bought myself a 395 and love it!! i'm not cuttin slabs with it, but usin it 2 rip split posts. i think its great!!! Shoulda got one years ago an been rippin posts all this time, but anyway thats my 2c
    I love my Lucas!! ...just ask me!
    Allan.

I personally run 2 stihl's 1X 660 magnum 1X 066 magnum kinda the same but different.
    For Aussie hard wood I would not recommend the stratified engine of the husky's

I have had several Huskies so when it came time to buy a big'un I admit I was leaning toward 395.

However I had a play with an admittedly tired 066 (it had been used to cut 5 billion ironbark fenceposts). In the end I bought a 395 if only because the Granberg mill I got on ebay already came with a 36 bar and chain.

I like it, have cut and slabbed with it it's done everything asked with ease.
    Have to say though it's a handfull (so is the 066) and you do have to keep your wits about you.

Seems to me there is a bit of the old Holden v Ford syndrome here.
    I have feeling this may develop into a long thread

I also have had a husky and a long line of issues with it/me. I was not made for Husky's nor they for me. I do admit I did have a good time with someone else's Husky on cypress the other month enjoyed the lighter weight but was glad to have my stihl's for the added power and bullet proof reliability

P.S. I'm a cruiser man

Quote Originally Posted by Sigidi View Post
    First of all widowmaker - welcome mate

This'll probably open a can o worms

I've just bought myself a 395 and love it!! i'm not cuttin slabs with it, but usin it 2 rip split posts. i think its great!!! Shoulda got one years ago an been rippin posts all this time, but anyway thats my 2c
    Thanks Sigidi .. yeah the 395 is awesome!! I wouldn't hesitate buying another one ..owned a few 066 magnums and there a great saw ! but gotta love the clean air filter on the husky after forever cleaning the 066's filter.

For Aussie hard wood I would not recommend the stratified engine of the husky's
    Krunchie, what is a stratified engine & why isnt it as suitiable for hardwood as a stihl? I'm thinking of getting a 395 sometime, my husky 281 is getting very old even though its still a reliable workhorse.

cheers.

[QUOTE=spray-tech;1374813]Krunchie, what is a stratified engine & why isnt it as suitiable for hardwood as a stihl? I'm thinking of getting a 395 sometime, my husky 281 is getting very old even though its still a reliable workhorse.

cheers.[/QUOTE

Stratified is an adjective referring to the arranging of layers. In the case of chainsaws it is like a form of air injection at a certin "layer" of air with the least amount of particles in it. To my understanding this inturn means the saw has to run at higher revs and in my experience with cutting hard woods and most of them not being super clean and probably full of #### inside hense the reason I am cutting them down the husky's have under performed.

P.S. I have also worked on an arb crew that was all husky 345 576 390

Been using 076av - 066 Magnum - 038 Magnum ..Harvesting logs ,Firewood ,burls and milling ,clearing ,hazard reduction on 300 acre property and felling trees for other property owners and felling for a local logging company. As well as being Chainsaw operator for R.A.F.T West of Moruya N.S.W in heavily timbered undulating forest with IronBark, bloodwood ,stringy ,Redgum , Blackbutt etc ..lots of over 4 foot girth Ironbark that's been dead for 20 + years ..There all been good saws the 076av had awesome torque and out cut the 066 but was ####### heavy at the end of the day. The 066 was strong and reliable just the Air filter was a pain in my ### and the crank snapped just behind the spur sprocket from fatigue i guess?! The 038 was a good all round saw ,a little under power for milling tho, but strong enough for commercial work the oil pump was a little inadequate tho. Anyways I bought 2-395xp and there holding up well and there becoming my choice of Saw!! there my bread and butter. The Stihl's are on the shelf overworked and in retirement LOL

My limited experience CS mill with a 90 cc saw (stihl or husky) is they tend to run out of puff in a ~36" wide milling cut. Cutting often above that size one really needs a bigger power head.

Some of the best CS milling info on the web is at the arboriste site. Check out the "CS milling 101 - tips and tricks" sticky I started there in 2009.
    http://www.arboristsite.com/milling-saw-mills/93458.htm

Both brands make good saws. Personaly I find the stihl a little more comfortable to use, but the air filter does need regular attention in dry timber. It's easy to access, so not a major issue. if you can try them both and if your still undecided, play one salesman off against the other. After all, we are in hard times.

A stihl and cruiser man, i think we would be good mates

I am fortunate enough to have both a an 066 and a 395xp. I love both saws. The 066 has slightly more grunt but if I need to hang onto it all day I prefer the 395.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchie View Post
    I also have had a husky and a long line of issues with it/me. I was not made for Husky's nor they for me. I do admit I did have a good time with someone else's Husky on cypress the other month enjoyed the lighter weight but was glad to have my stihl's for the added power and bullet proof reliability

P.S. I'm a cruiser man
    Ah, all is clear now, I see your problem. A Stihl and Cruiser man, there are some very good therapies available for this affliction and with perseverance you can mend your ways and reform to the true way - Patrol and Husqvarna.
    Do not despair, help is available and the damage will repair in a remarkably short period allowing you to live a normal life.
    Seriously though, it's all something of a piddling contest, although for me, Husky simply kicks more goals than Stihl.
    I would second BobL's comments, 36"+ is really 3120XP or Ms880 territory.
    As I understand it the 395 is not a Strato saw, and for that matter Stihl is using Strato technology on some saws. Has anyone else noticed that Stihl have finally caught up and are offering a type of Air Injection air filtration and anti vibe springs on certain models.
    Last edited by Karl Robbers; 17th September 2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: correct typo

Yes you are correct stihl have "caught up" all stihl models ending with a
    1 are now stratified engines but personally he way I use a saw and the conditions I have to cut in mean that I am more suited to stihls and them to my requirements.
    P.s can't cure the cruiser affliction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast