Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Mig or Tig?

Default Mig or Tig?

Hello all

Looking at buying a new welder (currently only have a cheap stick)

My main target project is to build a turbo setup for my seadoo

This would involve welding 1.6mm (from what i gather this is the standard thickness) 304 or 316 stainless 2 to 3 inch pipe.

Im thinking mig or tig will do the job

but iv got zero experience with either process

So im thinking mig will have a shorter learning process? but tig will give better results?

The turbo project at earliest would be in about a year, so plenty of time to practice.

Which do you think would be the better choice?

thanks
    Luke

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Without any other details... I'd say sell your Stick machine then buy a better Stick/TIG (with HF start, etc). Not particularly cost effective if only doing the one project though ! Cheers - Mick

Sorry i should clarify

I do plan on using it for other projects just the turbo project is the only one really with specific requirements

My stick now is an ozito piece of junk, wouldnt be worth selling.

Eventually id like to have a tig and mig but not sure how well i will do at tig!

Well It's best to have both, A decent TIG/Stick is worth having and there are some decent machines out of China around from about $1200 - $2000. I would go this way to start with and get a machine with AC/DC and HF start if the budget permits. Your life will be a lot easier. The AC is ideal for Aluminium and a great facility to have up your sleeve.
    Pure argon gas will be needed and is suitable for your Stainless, Steel and Ally work. I didn't have much experience prior to buying my machine around this time last year and with the help on here and weldingtipsandtricks.com , I am going quite well with it and doing some decent work with both SS and Ally. Ally was actually easier than the SS but getting the hang of both

To MIG weld SS it can get a bit expensive with having to buy a roll of SS wire and special mix of gas usually 98% Argon, 2% CO2. The welding machine can be cheaper but if you want use it for steel or another purpose, a bit of time involved changing everything over and different gas for each process is preferred.

I have both but if I had to have just the one it would probably be the TIG/ Stick machine just for its versatility. You can weld just about anything with it

Just to throw in a curve ball here, but have you considered using s/s electrodes and stick welding the ss? 1.6 ss is within the capabilities of stick welding if fit up is ok and if you are sanding and finishing the welds there would be no visual aspect to consider.
    This would be your cheapest option all round and depending on your projected future usage could be a viable option. Maybe even consider upgrading your stick welder to a higher quality unit. Another option that may well be of benefit is to tack up your pipework with the stick using ss electrodes or even tape it together and then take it to someone with a tig to weld up, usually there is minimal cost involved as the time consuming part of designing, cutting and fitting has already been done by you.
    If you can justify it, (remember that gas cylinder rental is a continuing cost whereas a stick welder only costs you while you are actually welding), then the AC/DC tig with HF start would be your most versatile option, but I would seriously urge you to consider undertaking a TAFE course of similar as the best welder in the world is useless without someone who truly knows how to use it.

thanks

You have convinced me to give TIG a try, might buy a cheaper DC machine to start with to see if i can get the hang of it.

I can't see myself stick welding it, i don't find welding thin material with stick real fun and id most likely have to buy a new welder anyway as mine is not real stable down low (or anywhere :P)

You won't regret learning to tig weld - just need some practice time (and argon). This is where the tafe course comes in - you get some theory, some instruction and heaps of practice time with different metals, fillers rods - with argon on tap - all for a reasonable course fee.

Once you've got the basics sorted, welding with tig, particularly with DC, can almost be (dare I say it)...relaxing.

There's millions of utube videos of exhaust fabrication using tig.

Cheers

- Mick

If you can stick weld thin sections already, then you can MIG weld - the hand skills are very similar. TIG is a lot like Oxy welding, you have to be able to co-ordinate feeding in the filler rod with one hand and keep a satisfactory arc with the other. Obviously the modern, quality TIG welders have the capacity to do stick welding (and use your old rods) while with MIG you are starting from scratch with gear & consumables.

I have had some success with stick welding thin sheet, specially stainless, by using a length of 3mm aluminium as a backer - stops chunks of sheet from liquifying & dropping onto the floor (stainless is a poor conductor of heat & it is easy to melt a thumb nail sized chunk right out).

Bottle rental is a PITA & if you are not a regular user, it will be an annoying, ongoing cost. I believe some suppliers will let you rent by the month or quarter rather than an annual fee regardless of useage, so you can get a small size bottle of gas, use it & return the empty to the depot, rather than pay them for the privelige of storing their gear.

A TAFE course is a good idea. Most local librarybooks I have seem are a couple of decades behind current technology, so hopefully the TAFE will have up to date info available, even if you are just doing an evening 'art/craft' level course.

Iv actually done a bit of brazing which i quite enjoyed

My brother should be able to get me a bottle through his work on company account.

Anyone know the difference between token tools ACDC200PM and Alupulse?

Both seem to be 200amp AC/DC tigs with pulse? just different cases?

Found a difference, cheaper one uses MOSFETs where the Alupulse uses IGBTs